Mean streets of Dallas - Texas State Fair shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Mean streets of Dallas - Texas State Fair shooting

Post by Grayling813 »

Also noted that there was a shooting at the State Fair last year as well.

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:06 pm This is why I carry a 8 shot .357 with a reloads of 8 rounds. You can’t go anywhere anymore. My wife carries also. I told if I run out of ammo that I get to take her gun :)

America has become a third world middle eastern country. So much for their brand new metal detectors. I guess they could have been LTC holders. I sure hope not.
I would be hard pressed to carry an 8 shot revolver with any regularity. For one, the weight. Second, I'm lacking on my reload skills. I'll do it around the house and occasionally when I walk my dog at my nearby park. But I've to often seen "bad things" happening there so I normally carry my full size Glock with a spare magazine when going there. Same goes for my 1911's. They've gotten to heavy for the capacity :(

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Another update from the Morning News.

Alleged State Fair of Texas shooter told police he acted in self-defense, affidavit says
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... avit-says/

The man accused of shooting three people Saturday night at the State Fair of Texas told police he was acting to defend himself and his family, according to an arrest-warrant affidavit.

But an officer at the scene wrote that Cameron Turner was by himself when the shooting happened.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by carlson1 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:38 pm
carlson1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:06 pm This is why I carry a 8 shot .357 with a reloads of 8 rounds. You can’t go anywhere anymore. My wife carries also. I told if I run out of ammo that I get to take her gun :)

America has become a third world middle eastern country. So much for their brand new metal detectors. I guess they could have been LTC holders. I sure hope not.
I carry a S&W 327 pug that is titanium. It is very light weight. I went back to revolvers for a while now. I guess my favorite pistol is still my Beretta LTT 92.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

This was a link in the story about the shooter

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/edit ... ir-moment/

As part of the story, it says that it doesn't matter if the suspect was legally carrying the gun. but the author does acknowledge at another point that only law abiding citizens follow gun laws. And the cause of the shooting s the usual - the U.S. is awash in guns.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grayling813 »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:47 am This was a link in the story about the shooter

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/edit ... ir-moment/

As part of the story, it says that it doesn't matter if the suspect was legally carrying the gun. but the author does acknowledge at another point that only law abiding citizens follow gun laws. And the cause of the shooting s the usual - the U.S. is awash in guns.
The U.S. is awash with people with low intelligence and low impulse control.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

I attended the Fair a few Fridays ago. I informed the entry staff that I was LTC and was carrying. They walked me over to a Dallas PD officer in an elevated booth. He asked for my DL and LTC, which he examined. He asked me where I was carrying and I told him right front pocket carry, which was OK with him.

I told him I usually carry a knife or two, plus pepper spray. He said that it was good that I didn't have them that day, as I would not be allowed entry.

Kind of funny.......on me I had my 9MM with 12 + 1, plus a spare 12 round mag. But it would have denied me entry if I included my usual EDC gear on me. Because.....security!

The makers of the walkthrough security posts were 100% sure that their devices would have detected the BG's handgun.
So I guess he was a guy who simply used an alternative path to enter the fair.

He is NOT an LTC holder, according to the news. Does anyone know details about the handgun he used?

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

It's really funny that they allow the firearm but not the knife and OC. I think I remember reading that a few years back before I went. I won't say what I carry into the Fair ;-)

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am with Jose. I pass up all of the tables direct to the police. I do not even tell the felon looking through bags why I need the police I just say, “ I need to see the police.” They look at my DL and my LTC and they say have a good day. I go right over to get my electric mobility scooter and get the policeman’s lunch and go about my business. My wife does the same thing. We are not go to “empty” our pockets just to go look at some high priced goods (that we never buy). We were laughing today because we look forward to it every year because that is the only “so-called” thing we do once a year.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:48 pm I attended the Fair a few Fridays ago. I informed the entry staff that I was LTC and was carrying. They walked me over to a Dallas PD officer in an elevated booth. He asked for my DL and LTC, which he examined. He asked me where I was carrying and I told him right front pocket carry, which was OK with him.

I told him I usually carry a knife or two, plus pepper spray. He said that it was good that I didn't have them that day, as I would not be allowed entry.

Kind of funny.......on me I had my 9MM with 12 + 1, plus a spare 12 round mag. But it would have denied me entry if I included my usual EDC gear on me. Because.....security!

The makers of the walkthrough security posts were 100% sure that their devices would have detected the BG's handgun.
So I guess he was a guy who simply used an alternative path to enter the fair.

He is NOT an LTC holder, according to the news. Does anyone know details about the handgun he used?

SIA
Unless asked about other items I would not volunteer any other information about what I may or may not currently be carrying. The last few times I did attend the State Fair I did what Carlson does and simply said that I need to see the officer without telling them why. None of the officers have asked about knives or anything and I didn't tell them.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Back about 2013 or 14, the officer looked at my LTC and then asked what I was carrying. I replied 9mm. He said, ‘Well, I guess that’s big enough. Have a nice time!’ 😂
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

C-dub wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:21 pm Unless asked about other items I would not volunteer any other information about what I may or may not currently be carrying. The last few times I did attend the State Fair I did what Carlson does and simply said that I need to see the officer without telling them why. None of the officers have asked about knives or anything and I didn't tell them.
Exactly! If I wasn't asked directly, I don't try to help them. And even if asked, I might have forgotten what I had in my pocket :coolgleamA: :tiphat: :biggrinjester:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

1. You have the RIGHT to remain silent.

Just don’t talk. You are under no obligation to explain yourself to anyone under any situation.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”