ME: breaking mass shooting in Maine, 18 dead, multiple locations

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bbhack
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ME: breaking mass shooting in Maine, 18 dead, multiple locations

Post by bbhack »

chasfm11 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:34 am
carlson1 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:56 pm It has been my experience as a Pastor going and visiting in these institutions (mainly Parkland and Terrel) that they do not do a whole lot. I have witnessed more than a dozen times people going in (sometimes on POW) they are given the same drugs that took on the street. Then turned loose with the same drugs they were on. Put a gun in the mix and it is a mess.
:iagree: I have more experience than I ever wanted with someone that I know who has been in care of both in patient and out patient mental health facilities. I can only call what happens in too many cases that I saw gross incompetence. In fairness, treating mentally ill people is more art than science. Big Pharma has compounded the problem with things like SSRIs. In reality, treatment is dependent on the patient telling the truth to the professionals trying to help them and the patients are often intelligent and manipulative. The Federal government is restricting some key medications because they are additive but is it better to have someone addicted to something that helps them or going untreated? Perhaps the biggest problem with mental health treatment is the stigma attached to it. People are rarely judged for breaking a leg but someone with severe depression or bi-polar disorder needs to be careful with who that information is shared. The public believes that those with mental problems can just think their way out of their issues - and they cannot. The mentally ill have been shunned by society and that isn't changing any time soon. Then, when an incident like this occurs, all that is left is hand ringing - and blaming the guns.
The "promise" of psych meds, I read, was what led to deinstitutionalization in the US.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 11

Post by philip964 »

NBC broke in for Special Announcement this morning. Carried a live broadcast from Maine, an update on the shooting. Before it started they had bullet points which of course included AR 15 Assault Rifle, and number of dead. Large print graphics on the TV. The broadcast was essentially by Maine govt saying they are skilled, using all resources, and will keep public updated as investigation progresses. Using scuba divers in area where he got on Jetski.

Wish I knew less about mental illness. Everything Chasfm and Carlson above said is correct. Brain is an organ just like the heart or kidneys and it can malfunction. No one faults you if you’re a diabetic, but brain problems, yeah it’s your fault.

One time the subject of payment came up with a psychologist, and problems with reimbursement from insurance. This practitioner said “I really only get cash, not even checks but cash cash. No one wants any record at all.”

I was going to be a witness at a sanity hearing before commitment. The subject desperately wanted to be released.

While I was waiting in the entry area an obviously crazy guy came in the front door. The 3 Police officers immediate put on very heavy rubber gloves, when they saw him, but remained in their office watching. It was clear they knew him.

Eventually they had to bodily throw him out side.

I found the irony amazing.

Most times the deeply psychotic can’t be cured. Voice thing is a pretty sure sign, he shouldn’t be released, despite I’m sure his assurances, the voices were gone and he would take his meds.

They actually like being crazy and dislike taking the meds. The high from the crazy is a lot better and yes they lie to get what they want.

I’m not sure why his release didn’t require him to give up his guns. That only seems logical for his safety as well.

His relatives knew it was him as soon as they learned where it happened. It was in these spots he heard the voices saying bad things about him.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

The shooter was confirmed dead by self inflicted gunshot t the head by Fox News.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Re: ME: breaking mass shooting in Maine, 22 dead, multiple locations

Post by C-dub »

C-dub wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:27 pm I have a bad feeling about this. He didn’t try to hide his face at all. I wonder if he has already killed himself and they just haven’t found him yet. Hopefully he isn’t still hiding somewhere waiting to hurt more people.
:thumbs2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://nypost.com/2023/10/29/news/main ... bert-card/

Sheriff sent out State wide alert about shooter after he got a warning from military two weeks earlier.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://nypost.com/2023/10/29/news/robe ... -massacre/

Denied silencer at Maine gun shop after filling out paper work and he was honest about mental health stay.

This was a months before the mass shooting.

I guess we can be thankful for small things.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/poli ... killed-18/

Families of victims press for Inspector General investigation.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”