PA: Female employee goes berserk, kills 2, injures 1

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 6

Re: PA: Female employee goes berserk, kills 2, injures 1

Post by seamusTX »

Excaliber wrote:The way businesses see things, courtesy officers are not expensive and competent emergency responders are. They usually don't realize that during a serious emergency, the economics of the two approaches reverse until they learn the hard way.
You would think they would have learned by now, because every incident of this sort results in lawsuits and multi-million-dollar settlements.

A company that I am familiar with uses unarmed door monitors, but they also hire at least one off-duty uniformed police officer at a time to be present in case of an emergency that requires police expertise.

The business also gets the police training for free that way.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Re: PA: Female employee goes berserk, kills 2, injures 1

Post by Excaliber »

seamusTX wrote:
Excaliber wrote:The way businesses see things, courtesy officers are not expensive and competent emergency responders are. They usually don't realize that during a serious emergency, the economics of the two approaches reverse until they learn the hard way.
You would think they would have learned by now, because every incident of this sort results in lawsuits and multi-million-dollar settlements.

A company that I am familiar with uses unarmed door monitors, but they also hire at least one off-duty uniformed police officer at a time to be present in case of an emergency that requires police expertise.

The business also gets the police training for free that way.

- Jim
If you dug into how that came to be, you'd probably find that the folks responsible for making it happen have direct experience in managing emergencies and understand the dynamics involved.

Most businesses assign folks who've never met a bad guy and never managed an incident where people were seriously injured or killed to determine how such incidents will be handled in their environment . Predictably, folks who don't understand the problem don't usually come up with very good solutions.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”