Corpus Christi: Man reportedly thinks pistol is lighter

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Corpus Christi: Man reportedly thinks pistol is lighter

Post by seamusTX »

In Corpus Christi, Seiptember 10, a man allegedly fatally shot a woman whose home he was visiting. The alleged shooter said that he thought the pistol that he discharged was a cigarette lighter.

The alleged shooter is a relative of the deceased woman's husband.

The alleged shooter was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and is being held in jail on $100,000 bond.

http://www.caller.com/news/2010/sep/13/ ... o-mistook/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want to know where he got the weapon and who owned it.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Corpus Christi: Man reportedly thinks pistol is lighter

Post by Hoi Polloi »

If this comment posted to the article is to be believed, her husband left it sitting out.

I want to know what type of gun it was that this lighter bit could be entertained.
Cayenne writes:

This is my understanding of the events which took place which lead to Shakarra's tragic death. The gun owner has a license for the gun in his home. He removed the gun in order to put it away before company arrived. As he removed the gun his wife called him to the bedroom in order to change his shirt for the party. He placed the gun on the table intending to put it away when he returned and went to the bedroom to change. While he was changing, his cousin arrived and came into the house. His cousin, Joe, is not familiar with guns. He had been at a friend's house the week before who had a "gun" lighter. Joe thought the real gun was a lighter, picked it up, and pulled the trigger thinking he would light his cigarette. When you use a "gun" lighter, the flame comes out the top, thus the gun was pointed away from him. I have seen "gun" lighters many times in stores and wondered why such a confusing item would be sold. The result has been devistating to all involved. Shakarra was loved by her husband and his family. Joe is a gentle young man who is not guilty of manslaughter. Manslaughter involves recklessness. He was not reckless. He has had no experience with guns and was innocently misled by lighter "guns" which he had seen and used before. The gun owner is an honorable veteran. He was responsibly in the process of putting the gun away when he was distracted. What a terrible chain of events. This is a lovely family. All are devistated by Shakarra's death. All are victims.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fire1141

Post by Fire1141 »

2 points

1). When my guns are on the table, they are being cleaned by me, they are unloaded with me present the whole time.

2). Never buy a lighter that looks like a gun.

My kids routinely have friends over, that don't know the dangers of guns, so the guns are either with me, on me, or in the safe. Seems like common sense to me.

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

What a seeming tragedy for everyone involved. Along with the essentials that are taught in K through twelve: reading, writing, and reckoning I wish they would add in gun safety. Just a thought.
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

All the ways that kids used to learn firearms safety, such as the Boy Scouts, 4H, or just plinking in the back yard with a responsible adult have been eliminated because of urbanization and irrational fears.

I heard of a case where a school would not allow Eddie Eagle. The comments of some of the parents who objected to the program were ludicrous.

- Jim
Last edited by seamusTX on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dicion

Post by dicion »

The gun owner has a license for the gun in his home.
That right there tells me that the person writing the comment doesn't know all the facts.

Unless something changed, in which case I'm in trouble, because I don't have any licenses for any of the guns in my home! :lol:

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Many people who don't own firearms think you need a license to own one in Texas.

Like much other ignorance, this comes from television. On the cop shows they are always talking about a weapon being registered or licensed to someone. That is the case in places like California and New York.

I don't give much credibility to comments on newspaper web sites and blogs, but this one sounds like it may actually contain some facts.

- Jim

Return to “The Crime Blotter”