OH: Another dumb robber

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

OH: Another dumb robber

Post by JJVP »

A Dayton, Ohio police officer was retrieving the surveillance tape
from a Walgreen drug store that had been robbed earlier in the day.

He walks in on an armed robbery in progress!

http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/officer-ro ... ht-on-tape" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :cheers2:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Scott in Houston

Re: OH: Another dumb robber

Post by Scott in Houston »

That thief is so 'experienced' he knew the officer wouldn't shoot him, so he fought even with a gun to his head. Wow.

Yay for the good guys!

Bob in Big D

Post by Bob in Big D »

On the tape it looks like the officer is searching the BG for a gun or other weapon. My guess is that after not seeing or finding a gun on the BG the officer had the presence to not shoot the BG and then be sujected to all that goes with shooting an unarmed suspect. CUDO's to the LEO. Just my .02Cents.
Gun Control Means Using Two Hands!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Musta failed uniform recognition at Crimes Community College. :smilelol5:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

G192627 wrote:That thief is so 'experienced' he knew the officer wouldn't shoot him, so he fought even with a gun to his head. Wow.

Yay for the good guys!
Placing the gun within reach of the suspect is an extremely dicey proposition.

With just a little more experience, the BG could have easily disarmed the officer before he could have reacted.

I'm glad it all turned out OK.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

That the bad guy reached over the counter and took money of the cash register with a cop right behind him proves that habits are difficult to break. Luckily the policeman and the store owner went unscathed.
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

mgood

Post by mgood »

That's awesome! :lol:

Kawabuggy

Post by Kawabuggy »

Pardon my ignorance, but would this not have been the ideal time to taze someone? It would have avoided the cop making contact directly with the suspect, there would not have been a fight and the potential of getting the officer, or the suspect hurt. Not that I care if the suspect got hurt, but if he had, it is WE the tax-payers that would have been paying for his, or the officers, medical care.

Just asking-in a situation like that one-why not just taze the suspect and be done with it? I realize he was wearing a thick coat, but could the officer not shoot him in the buttocks, or legs, or some other area where the clothing would be thin enough for the tazer prongs to penetrate?

I agree with Excaliburs statement that putting the gun to the head of the suspect was not smart (an uneducated opinion from myself). I would think distance, and incapacitating the suspect would have been the wiser choice.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

If this was in TX, and soon after the offficer was subjected to repeated blows to the head, the officer should just used his ugly tool and drop that sucker!
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

I didn't pay attention to his trigger discipline, but as soon as the BG started struggling, it's amazing there wasn't a dead BG. Hell, that one cop from LV firing while a colleague was just handcuffing a subdued BG & this guy didn't. Good training I guess.

Still, once it got serious, BG should've been shot. The BG already showed he wasn't going to respect the law or the officer.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Kawabuggy wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but would this not have been the ideal time to taze someone? It would have avoided the cop making contact directly with the suspect, there would not have been a fight and the potential of getting the officer, or the suspect hurt.
I'm wondering if he even had a taser; this looks like the perfect opportunity to stick the taser instead of the gun to the back of the guy's neck while introducing himself, and use the "drive stun" mode when it gets ugly.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”