Shooting Situation at Rolling Oaks Mall San Antonio

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Shooting Situation at Rolling Oaks Mall San Antonio

Post by Keith B »

Reading this article http://www.ksat.com/news/second-suspect ... l-shooting, sounds like the timeline was both of them tried to stop the bad guys, unarmed guy was shot, then LTC shot one of the bad guys. Other guy runs off shooting as he goes.
Police said Murphy and another man confronted the two suspects who had robbed Kay Jewelers around 3:30 p.m. Sunday. They said one of the two suspected robbers shot and killed Murphy. The other good Samaritan also had a gun of his own and fired at the suspects, wounding one, police said. The second robbery suspect ran off also firing a gun in the process.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

Maybe the unarmed guy that died wasn't so "stupid" after all.

I sure they the the arrested to both robberies and throw the book at them. Allowing this kind of action to go unchallenged only emboldens these thugs. The merchant having rules to allow the people to leave with their money or merchandise may be good policy for them but isn't so good for society.

We the People need to stand up to the crooks in Washington, DC as well as the crooks in our communities.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

NTexCopRetired
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NTexCopRetired »

No, we don't know the sequence of events. But I guess we can conclude that every armed robber acts the same way and is very predictable. If you leave them alone, they always leave peacefully. That's how I was trained. If you arrive at the scene of an armed robbery and the suspect is still there, do not provoke or threaten them. They will always leave on their own and you can discretely follow them. When they get home and go to sleep, you pounce and no one gets hurt. Armed robbers, especially these gang bangers, only lash out when provoked. You can bet your life on it.

dlh
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dlh »

Wonder if the mall or jewelry store will release the security/surveillance video. That may help us know how it came down.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 7

Post by NotRPB »

dlh wrote:Wonder if the mall or jewelry store will release the security/surveillance video. That may help us know how it came down.
Mall security surveillance video was viewed by Police/Sheriff's deputies yesterday afternoon/evening close to time of the the press conference. They met on "lower level" to view the footage.

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Keith B »

Police are now saying only 2 people, a man and a woman, not three as initially reported, were shot and injured by the escaping robber. Two other women were taken to the hospital, one with chest pains and one with labor pains. The article believes the injuries were not life threatening, which is great news.

Also, the way this article reads it appears that the LTC was just someone else at the mall, not an acquaintance of Johnathan Murphy.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/20 ... an-antonio
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

the wife is apparently saying that he simply moved to put himself between her and the robber, to protect her and the robber shot him. that's when the chl got involved. it sounds like he was perhaps in the store also from her story?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Those places that gungrabbers say no one has any need for a gun are probably the most important places to carry. Don't go where you know you need a gun, carry where you can be a target.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 9

Post by bblhd672 »

Frankie wrote:This is my local mall. Me and the family frequent it.
The mall map shows Kay's Jewelry on the upper level by the food court, is that correct?

Is this Kay's location one with doors that you go into the store, or the type that is open to the mall with pull down metal doors?

I also see on the mall map that there are two other jewelry stores right there on the food court. So the question is, why Kay's and not one of the other two?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

Mall manager is quoted as saying that they maintain a seperate code of conduct when it comes to weapons on premises and it is clearly posted.
The mall's general manager, Dustin Christensen, said in a statement that the mall prohibits guns on the property.

"Although we respect the laws of the state and individual rights, we do, however, maintain a separate code of conduct that we visibly post at our entrances that includes the prohibition of any weapons on the property. Our top priority continues to be the safety of our shoppers as we strive to provide the best possible shopping experience for all,” said Christensen.
http://www.kens5.com/news/mall-policy-s ... /391647963

Unless something has changed since just before Christmas, there are no 30.06 signs at this mall. There could be some gun busters on the doors, can't remember. He could be just stating this to appease the anti's or he is ignorant of the law. Either case, this type of negative media coverage is not good for LTC's. If it weren't for the action of this brave LTC, who knows how many people that dirtbag would have shot.
NRA Life Member

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

NTexCopRetired wrote:No, we don't know the sequence of events. But I guess we can conclude that every armed robber acts the same way and is very predictable. If you leave them alone, they always leave peacefully. That's how I was trained. If you arrive at the scene of an armed robbery and the suspect is still there, do not provoke or threaten them. They will always leave on their own and you can discretely follow them. When they get home and go to sleep, you pounce and no one gets hurt. Armed robbers, especially these gang bangers, only lash out when provoked. You can bet your life on it.
The same could have been said about plane hijackers prior to 9/11. I have no desire to become anyone's hero in a situation like this, but I am under no illusion that a person committing armed robbery has nothing but peaceful interactions on his mind - such that if he is allowed to leave, he will do so without harming anyone. As far as I'm concerned, if they play stupid games, then they risk winning stupid prizes. I'm not betting my life on the 'they'll leave peacefully' idea.
Last edited by Vol Texan on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pariah3j »

bblhd672 wrote:
The mall map shows Kay's Jewelry on the upper level by the food court, is that correct?

Is this Kay's location one with doors that you go into the store, or the type that is open to the mall with pull down metal doors?

I also see on the mall map that there are two other jewelry stores right there on the food court. So the question is, why Kay's and not one of the other two?

My guess - because there was a 'no guns' sign... makes it seem like easier pickings. Never been to the mall in question, so there may be some other factor.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 9

Post by bblhd672 »

http://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/seco ... onio-mall/

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the subject can say if these tattoos indicate that he is a Mexican gang member?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pariah3j »

longhorn86 wrote:Mall manager is quoted as saying that they maintain a seperate code of conduct when it comes to weapons on premises and it is clearly posted.
The mall's general manager, Dustin Christensen, said in a statement that the mall prohibits guns on the property.

"Although we respect the laws of the state and individual rights, we do, however, maintain a separate code of conduct that we visibly post at our entrances that includes the prohibition of any weapons on the property. Our top priority continues to be the safety of our shoppers as we strive to provide the best possible shopping experience for all,” said Christensen.
http://www.kens5.com/news/mall-policy-s ... /391647963

Unless something has changed since just before Christmas, there are no 30.06 signs at this mall. There could be some gun busters on the doors, can't remember. He could be just stating this to appease the anti's or he is ignorant of the law. Either case, this type of negative media coverage is not good for LTC's. If it weren't for the action of this brave LTC, who knows how many people that dirtbag would have shot.
I thought I read earlier in the thread that someone said this store is marked w/ 30.06 signs ?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

bblhd672 wrote:

After studying the mall layout on a map, strategically speaking, this would be the best target for the robbers. It is on the upper level, but on the back side of the mall. The back side upper level is actually on ground level and with a mall exit up there. Years ago, there was a movie theater in that area of the mall. It would be a quick in and out job with an easy escape route on back side of mall away from all of the incoming traffic on the front side. They would have an clear path from there out to the Loop 1604 access road avoiding all of the traffic lights in the main intersection leading to the mall.
NRA Life Member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”