CA: Maybe already too late for them

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

CA: Maybe already too late for them

Post by philip964 »

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Off duty officer fired his weapon in the air in his own front yard.

Seems like an army of large teenagers in front of his house. Looks like he is attempting to arrest one of them, maybe for trespassing.

Protests at city hall.

Maybe we should let them leave the US and accept no refugees.

KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CA: Maybe already too late for them

Post by KLB »

California is a mess, but why did he fire into the air? Why not the ground--if a warning shot was necessary?

Wordsworth didn't mean anything quite so literal, but the point is close enough that it comes to mind:

The Arrow and the Song
By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For who has sight so keen and strong,
That it can follow the flight of song?

Long, long afterward, in an oak
I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end,
I found again in the heart of a friend.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

What I'd like to know is why the police didn't arrest all those breaking the law?

Vandalizing is against the law.

Or, do you let a bunch of trouble makers off the hook because there's a lot of them?

Why, if the police are outnumbered, can't they request assistance from other police departments?

Or, are California trouble maker/criminals simply allowed to roam free, vandalize and cause alarm whenever they want to, while the police stand hopelessly by doing nothing but stand by?

SHogun62

Post by SHogun62 »

I saw the video of the incident on the news this morning as I was heading out. I saw upwards of 7 individuals pretty much in front of and flanking the officer on both sides. the moment he decides to fire into the air, he is forcing one of the individuals to the ground. I guess this all stemmed from a trespassing on the officer's property situation, but I'll have to dig more into that. All told, I don't fault the officer at all based on the footage I viewed. I viewed it has either disperse them as he did(He was in his civies, so no taser, spray, etc.), or start causing physical harm to whoever came within arm's reach.

5thGenTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 5thGenTexan »

Watched this a couple of times from this video it is obvious the off duty officer used restraint until he was flanked by the teen in maroon jacket that was making a move with his left hand toward his hip pocket. At that point the officer draws his weapon extends his arm down into the shrubs firing a single shot. (Watch from aound the 3 min mark)
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I don't know why any one in California would want to be a cop there. The first big wave of departures was people leaving the state to follow their jobs. The next wave of departures will be LEOs, Firemen, and Paramedics, who are very tired of having to daily face a rabble that no longer has any respect for authority. Eventually, the police departments will be staffed with unqualified thugs and released felons as the state's gov't tries to fill the ranks with the "victims of oppression". At that point, police depts will no longer be police, but rather the enforcement arms of the various bureaucracies run by SJWs.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I don't know why any one in California would want to be a cop there. The first big wave of departures was people leaving the state to follow their jobs. The next wave of departures will be LEOs, Firemen, and Paramedics, who are very tired of having to daily face a rabble that no longer has any respect for authority. Eventually, the police departments will be staffed with unqualified thugs and released felons as the state's gov't tries to fill the ranks with the "victims of oppression". At that point, police depts will no longer be police, but rather the enforcement arms of the various bureaucracies run by SJWs.
Sounds like Kurt Schlichter's book "People's Republic".
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bblhd672 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I don't know why any one in California would want to be a cop there. The first big wave of departures was people leaving the state to follow their jobs. The next wave of departures will be LEOs, Firemen, and Paramedics, who are very tired of having to daily face a rabble that no longer has any respect for authority. Eventually, the police departments will be staffed with unqualified thugs and released felons as the state's gov't tries to fill the ranks with the "victims of oppression". At that point, police depts will no longer be police, but rather the enforcement arms of the various bureaucracies run by SJWs.
Sounds like Kurt Schlichter's book "People's Republic".
I was thinking the same thing when I typed it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Zombified

Post by Zombified »

I'm not sure if the videos posted here show what happened shortly before he pulled his gun and fired the shot. The version I saw had several teens attacking him and trying to knock him down.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/02/ ... t-arrests/

More

24 arrested.

13 year old apparently threatened to kill the off duty officer.

Boy they seem awfully big for 13 and 15.

I really don't want Californians moving here as refugees and not wanting to assimilate.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

5thGenTexan wrote:Watched this a couple of times from this video it is obvious the off duty officer used restraint until he was flanked by the teen in maroon jacket that was making a move with his left hand toward his hip pocket. At that point the officer draws his weapon extends his arm down into the shrubs firing a single shot. (Watch from aound the 3 min mark)

:iagree:
Even after being knocked over the neighbor's hedge; grabbed by one teen; and punched by another. I'm guessing the number of responding officers & the helo circling above were due to his {negligent discharge}{warning shot}{whatever it was}, & not the initial call of kids loitering/urinating/whatever they were doing prior to the scuffle.

Unfortunately, those with an agenda are as adept at creating a false narrative out of criminal activity as they are with Photoshop & social media. There's lots of YouTube videos with misleading headlines (like this one with a reverse-image for the title page with his gun drawn, but in his right hand (and gun made thicker in order to draw the viewer's eye towards it). Top screenshot is of the title page; second screenshot is of the actual video, curiously with the other one's title page/reverse image in the upper right corner).
Attachments
Picture1.png
Picture2.png

Embalmo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Embalmo »

Why didn't he announce that he was law enforcement to the crowd and ask for someone to call 911. This man had zero visible identification indicating that he was a peace officer. If I see a man wrestling with a screaming child who isn't his parent and shows zero indication of being law enforcement, I'm getting the pepper spray out before he manages to get the kid in a van. This little push shove match almost cost lives.

The kid was probably a little punk, but he wasn't a danger to the the surroundings, but the crowd and the situation got rapidly out of control. This was not a felon, so I believe a reasonable person would have just let go.
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

Embalmo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Embalmo »

When touching and tugging starts to happen, you have to weigh the benefits to the risks involved. Would it have endangered anyone to let the kid go? Would it have endangered anyone dance around with the kid with a bunch of good Samaritans trying to rescue the child.
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

5thGenTexan

Post by 5thGenTexan »

Some dip stick set up a wiki type page outing the officers name address and cell & landline numbers. As well thee kids family has set up multiple scam donation pages.

Do I feel the officer could have handled this differently? Yes

Do I think the left is being unfair slamming the officer? x2 yes

I don't have the facts on how often the kids were told to quit cutting across his yard, nor do I KNOW the conversations leading up to the altercation. I do however believe at the point the officer pulled and discharged his weapon down into the ground that it stopped the threats from the other teens and probably resulted in the saving of one or two of the idiots lives.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Embalmo wrote:Why didn't he announce that he was law enforcement to the crowd and ask for someone to call 911. This man had zero visible identification indicating that he was a peace officer. If I see a man wrestling with a screaming child who isn't his parent and shows zero indication of being law enforcement, I'm getting the pepper spray out before he manages to get the kid in a van. This little push shove match almost cost lives.

The kid was probably a little punk, but he wasn't a danger to the the surroundings, but the crowd and the situation got rapidly out of control. This was not a felon, so I believe a reasonable person would have just let go.
I wasn't there, & I don't have a dog in this fight. However, the first time I saw the video I had the distinct impression that he had identified himself as an officer prior to the video starting because at least one of the teens stated they didn't believe he was a cop. (My impression could have been biased from the video's title being 'off duty officer', though).

As to why he didn't ask the crowd to call the police; it seemed to me the crowd consisted mainly of teenagers, one who was off camera saying 'someone' should call the police, to which I believe the teenage girl replies 'his wife already did'. Also, the crowd (IE, the kid's audience), at least those in immediate proximity, seemed to be egging things on. The one adult in the crowd (older gentleman with the crutch) seemed to be playing the part of a good witness & staying out of the fray.

From the video I believe my perception (had I been there, which I was not) would have been an adult holding onto a teenage boy to prevent him from leaving the area, surrounded by a bunch of other kids (and not of someone attempting to forcibly remove or assault him).

I don't speak Spanish, but prior to the young lad saying on camera "Why did you try to hit me in the _____ (testicules)?", I did hear someone in the crowd say something in Spanish including the term "huevos" (which in my limited knowledge is not always 'eggs').

As to why the adult didn't just let it go? He says on video that the young lad said "Man, I'll shoot you!". Lad refutes this on video, saying he said "sue you", not "shoot you". What was really said? Ain't got a clue.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”