How Far Would You Go To Help?

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

How Far Would You Go To Help?

Post by carlson1 »

http://www.fox4news.com/news/271615496-story

Video is violent and the language is not family friendly.

A video taken by a passenger of the attack has been seen tens of thousands of times on Facebook since Sunday night. Kennan Jones was kicked, punched and slapped for several minutes by more than a half a dozen young men and women.

The attack spilled out onto the Deep Ellum Green Line platform, where two other young men wearing orange work shirts, who were not involved in the initial attack, joined in and punched and kicked Jones on the ground before he was beaten unconscious with a skateboard.
Would you have intervened? If so what would you have done? I guess the man filming didn't stop long enough to call 911?

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Re: How Far Would You Go To Help?

Post by WTR »

My friend's best friend was killed by two boys and a girl when he stopped to help change a tire . They were down by College Station. The two boys received the death penalty and have sense been executed. Hopefully the girl is rotting in jail.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bmwrdr »

I used DART frpm Carrollton to SMY many times in 2012/13 and I can confirm there are some real strange individuals on the train. I guess I'm just lucky not to get into something like that.
To answer the original question if I would help - Yes, I would call 911 and depending on my proximity I guess ample distance is better than being amongst them. Who knows what happens if one gets amongst those creeps.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

My understanding is that the gang of juveniles were smoking pot on the train and the victim spoke up and advised them to cease. That is what reportedly provoked the assault.

To answer the OP's question, if with family I would move away to ensure the family's safety and call 911. If alone, I would intervene if I could be certain as to who was the victim and who were the perpetrators and the victim's life was obviously in danger.

I also do my best to avoid being in places and situations where these kind of incidents can occur, but as we all know it can happen almost anywhere, anytime.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Bruin98
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bruin98 »

I ride that line once a month, maybe a little more.

I'm calling 911 and probably getting off to help him once they all got back on the train.

I'm not sure
A)I have good cause to pull my weapon
B)that a gun diffuses that situation.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by WTR »

Bruin98 wrote:I ride that line once a month, maybe a little more.

I'm calling 911 and probably getting off to help him once they all got back on the train.

I'm not sure
You seriously think preventing serious bodily harm and possible death is not good cause?

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Perfect job for OC spray as it diffused jail fights with multiple inmates involved. If you were to pull your firearm be ready to use it. A gang like that would continue to provoke you and you may have to shoot a couple before the rest take the hint.

If it was me...call 911 and stand fast ready to draw if they threatened me or my family's safety.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

strogg

Post by strogg »

I personally wouldn't pull my gun for that situation based on what I'm seeing. My welfare and the welfare of others that I know (assuming they were not part of the altercation) are nowhere near in immediate danger based assuming I'm standing where the cameraman is. 911 is the best course of action. Intervening with no context would only put another innocent life (mine) in harm's way at best.

On the other hand, if a friend or family member were in that altercation, I would undoubtedly intervene by pulling that person out to safety. Literally, only pull him or her out. I will not partake in the fight or do anything to stop the fight unless A: the fighting followed me and my buddy forcing my hand, or B: I have enough context to know what the true threat is AND it is still posing a general threat. Even then, it would still take a heck of a threat for me to pull my gun.

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

WTR wrote:

I'm not sure
You seriously think preventing serious bodily harm and possible death is not good cause?
Based off of a video? Absolutely.

My firearm is to protect me and mine. He's not in that club. Call the police and be as helpful as I can without being directly involved.

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

Bernhard Goetz did the right thing but he was in the wrong state. I personally have been accosted by a group like this in the New York City subway system as a kid. Nobody helped and fortunately I wasn't hurt. At my age now though, I would be no match for those kids unarmed and if I did pull my gun I would have used it. My role though is to protect me and mine and I didn't get a LTC to protect you and yours. That's the job of the police.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Not my circus, not my monkey. In this scene, I'm calling 911 and moving out to a safe location. I work very hard to have what I have. Not going to risk it in this case.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

"When in danger or doubt, run in circles scream and shout." ~ old Chinese proverb

Use cellphone to call 911...after recording event on cellphone ~ today's millennial proverb

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Bruin98 wrote:
WTR wrote:

I'm not sure
Based off of a video? Absolutely.

My firearm is to protect me and mine. He's not in that club. Call the police and be as helpful as I can without being directly involved.
:iagree:
I'm 65, 70% disabled Vietnam Era vet. I know how to intervene, but I lack the physical ability to do so effectively with out using deadly force. If I am clear to engage with deadly force, then the situation changes.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

rotor wrote:...That's the job of the police.
No, it's not.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

For me, this would be a difficult call, and a lot would be subject to "it depends."

On one hand, I agree with the posters that say having an LTC doesn't make me a cop, and it's not my job to protect the general public. I carry to protect myself and my loved ones, and I would not want to put them at risk. Even then, at the very least I would call 911, rather than just film it happening.

On the other hand, it would be hard for me to just sit by and watch this happen to a fellow human being and do nothing. Legal liability is one thing (we have no duty to render aid); moral obligation is another. If I were by myself, or could somehow ensure that my actions would not endanger friends/family that were with me, I would like to think I would step in and attempt to stop it. Exactly how, I'm not sure; maybe start yelling at them to stop, hand on my gun so they know I mean business, I don't know. A lot would depend on the exact circumstances and surroundings.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Return to “The Crime Blotter”