Houston: Mother Pistol-whipped and Robbed in IKEA Parking Lit

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Houston: Mother Pistol-whipped and Robbed in IKEA Parking Lit

Post by Vol Texan »

My wife and I were there four hours earlier. I figured the invalid 3006 signs on the front door would have kept everyone safe - even in the parking lot!?!

https://www.google.com/amp/abc13.com/am ... t/2512979/
Stephanie Anguiano said she was attacked around 6 p.m. Sunday when the sun was still out and the parking lot was packed.

She had her cell phone in her hand and was wearing a purse around her shoulder.

"When I was getting in the car, I took it off and that's when he came behind and grabbed the purse," she explained. "He grabbed the strap, and that's when the strap let go."

Anguiano's purse strap snapped in two, and that's when she says her attacker's face changed.

"I just remember his face angry that I was fighting back and that's when he raised his arm and started swinging with the gun," she said. "The whole side of the gun just kept hitting me and hitting me and I didn't let go."

She handed over her cell phone but never gave up her purse
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

CZp10
Banned
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Houston: Mother Pistol-whipped and Robbed in IKEA Parking Lit

Post by CZp10 »

This is why everyone should sue any business with a 30.06 sign. They are intentionally drawing crime to their businesses, and they choose to provide no security even though they have stopped you from defending yourself. Enough law suits will change that.

John Galt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by John Galt »

CZp10 wrote:This is why everyone should sue any business with a 30.06 sign. They are intentionally drawing crime to their businesses, and they choose to provide no security even though they have stopped you from defending yourself. Enough law suits will change that.
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

CZp10 wrote:This is why everyone should sue any business with a 30.06 sign. They are intentionally drawing crime to their businesses, and they choose to provide no security even though they have stopped you from defending yourself. Enough law suits will change that.
What makes you think one would be sucessful with such a suit?
Salty1

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

:mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5
Do what you say you're gonna do.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Salty1 wrote:

Probably not, but it would at least it would draw attention that the business is putting their customers in harm's way.
I can understand a business putting up a 3007 sign, but a 3006 is a sore spot with me. I can look for another place to spend my money.
Last edited by John Galt on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Salty1 wrote:
I might be on the jury.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TreyHouston »

philip964 wrote:
Salty1 wrote:
I might be on the jury.
I would donate to that Go Fund Me.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

dlh

Post by dlh »

Hopefully the store maintained video that panned out into the parking lot and revealed the license plate number on the perp. car. Lots of cars are stolen by thugs who then abandon them after their felonious activities. Story mentioned the felon jumped into a car with other occupants---sounds like a thug gang looking for opportunities in and around parking lots. We can hope the police catch these bad guys sooner rather than later---otherwise I predict they will strike again.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Don't shop at 30.06 posted businesses.

GreenMan0352

Post by GreenMan0352 »

John Galt wrote:
Salty1 wrote:

Probably not, but it would at least it would draw attention that the business is putting their customers in harm's way.
I can understand a business putting up a 3007 sign, but a 3006 is a sore spot with me. I can look for another place to spend my money.
Same here. Some people are uncomfortable with firearms so I can understand a business putting up a 30.07 bulletin but 30.06 really? How can they get offended if they don't know?

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

GreenMan0352 wrote:
John Galt wrote:
Salty1 wrote:

Same here. Some people are uncomfortable with firearms so I can understand a business putting up a 30.07 bulletin but 30.06 really? How can they get offended if they don't know?
Buisness owners who make this decision offend me, can I ban THEM if I want to shop there?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

GreenMan0352 wrote:
John Galt wrote:
Salty1 wrote:

IANAL, but I think the argument would be that by requiring customers to disarm, the store took away the means for the customer to prevent or minimize injury from a foreseeable risk. It would be a better case if the victim actually had an LTC, had left their gun in the car before being assaulted in the store / parking lot, and the store had a documented history of these types of crimes but did not hire sufficient security.

Basically, the store owners should be liable if they choose to do something that increases the likelihood of injury / death from a forseeable risk and then do nothing to mitigate that risk. Kind of like if I invite you into my home, and require you to remove your shoes if you want to stay, then have you follow me across the newly waxed kitchen floor. By taking away your shoes (with traction), I have increased the likelihood of you falling on my newly waxed floor (forseeable risk). Or if I tell your kid that he can't wear his protective helmet before getting on the trampoline in my back yard, and he proceeds to crack open his skull.

The key would be getting a jury to see that banning guns increases the customer's risk. A tall order, especially in a city like Houston where we have a lot of people believing that the presence of any guns always increases risk.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

TreyHouston wrote:
GreenMan0352 wrote:
John Galt wrote:
Salty1 wrote:

Buisness owners who make this decision offend me, can I ban THEM if I want to shop there?
:iagree: It's a good thing that 30.06 signs don't apply to VESP's.

rotor

Post by rotor »

VESP's. What's that? Someone forced this woman to shop at IKEA? Abraham is right.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”