TX: Sutherland Springs church 26 dead 20 injured in mass shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

dlh
Posts in topic: 3

Re: TX: Sutherland Springs church 26 dead 20 injured in mass shooting

Post by dlh »

I will assume a few things:
the case was filed in state district court (the article does not say whether the suit was filed in state district court or federal court);
Academy will be well-represented;
their lawyers will read the petition and do some research;
If appropriate they will file a motion for summary judgment and ask that the case be tossed;
The Supreme Court of Texas loves to toss cases like this (think intervening criminal conduct);
If filed in federal court I do not see the fifth circuit being sympathetic to the plantiffs.

Well worth it to keep up with this case.
Last edited by dlh on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 21

Post by bblhd672 »

Jusme wrote:If they want to sue someone, they need to go after the Air Force, for failing to report the shooter's disqualifying background.
:iagree:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjabread »

I hope Academy recovers their legal fees from the vultures.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jmorris »

bblhd672 wrote:
Jusme wrote:If they want to sue someone, they need to go after the Air Force, for failing to report the shooter's disqualifying background.
Lawyer in SA, name escapes me, advertises he's doing so and for those affected to contact him.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

roadkill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by roadkill »

jmorris wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
Lawyer in SA, name escapes me, advertises he's doing so and for those affected to contact him.
Local big truck accident ambulance chaser Thomas J Henry was calling for an investigation into how he slppped thru the cracks. Wasn’t him was it?

jmorris
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jmorris »

roadkill wrote:
jmorris wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
Local big truck accident ambulance chaser Thomas J Henry was calling for an investigation into how he slipped thru the cracks. Wasn’t him was it?
That's him.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Unless the shooter told the gun store something to the effect of "I need to buy a gun so I can go kill a bunch of people" then the Federal PLCAA act also comes into play. I hate it when I hear about an attorney filing a case like this because he leaves HIS victims a huge legal bill for the defendant's expenses.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

apostate wrote:
Texas prohibits the sale of firearms to non-residents.
Please cite the law that prohibits a Texas based FFL from selling a rifle to a US citizen who isn't a Texas resident.
Did some more research. On the ATF FAQ page, it states:
May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State?

Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser’s State of residence and the licensee’s State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
Unless there is a specific Texas law that prohibits such a transaction, Academy did not break any law. I did read the civil suit filed against Academy. The Plaintiffs' attorney does not cite or reference any specific Texas or Federal law, statute or regulation that was violated. The Plaintiffs' attorney is in this for the settlement value. I hope Academy fights rather than settle. Settling would set a bad precedent.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

dlh

Post by dlh »

I would be interested in looking at his 4473 that he filled out at Academy. Can those be disclosed to the public or are they exempt from disclosure?
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

dlh wrote:I would be interested in looking at his 4473 that he filled out at Academy. Can those be disclosed to the public or are they exempt from disclosure?
I suspect that only the dealer and law enforcement are allowed to see them - otherwise anti-gun groups could begin assembling de-facto “registration” lists for when they take the country full retard. In fact, here’s what Wikipedia says (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_4473):
These forms are given the same status as a tax return under the Privacy Act of 1974 and cannot be disclosed by the government to private parties or other government officials except in accordance with the Privacy Act. Individual dealers possessing a copy of the form are not subject to the Privacy Act's restrictions on disclosure. Dealers are required to maintain completed forms for 20 years in the case of completed sales, and for 5 years where the sale was disapproved as a result of the NICS check.
Here’s what Wikipedia says about the Privacy Act (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_Act_of_1974):
The Privacy Act of 1974 (Pub.L. 93–579, 88 Stat. 1896, enacted December 31, 1974, 5 U.S.C. § 552a), a United States federal law, establishes a Code of Fair Information Practice that governs the collection, maintenance, use, and dissemination of personally identifiable information about individuals that is maintained in systems of records by federal agencies. A system of records is a group of records under the control of an agency from which information is retrieved by the name of the individual or by some identifier assigned to the individual. The Privacy Act requires that agencies give the public notice of their systems of records by publication in the Federal Register. The Privacy Act prohibits the disclosure of information from a system of records absent of the written consent of the subject individual, unless the disclosure is pursuant to one of twelve statutory exceptions. The Act also provides individuals with a means by which to seek access to and amendment of their records and sets forth various agency record-keeping requirements. Additionally, with people granted the right to review what was documented with their name, they are also able to find out if the "records have been disclosed".. and are also given the rights to make corrections.[1]
That would explain why oppo researchers can’t just go look up a candidate’s tax returns; they have to wait for the candidate/politician to release them for publication. Otherwise, the Clinton campaign would have had Trump’s tax returns and used them to try and burn him. So if a 4473 has that same status, then no, they cannot be disclosed to the public except possibly by either law enforcement or the individual concerned.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84
Posts in topic: 15

Post by mojo84 »

In spite of some liberal bias, here is an excellent article about that tragic day and the hero that stopped it.

www.texasmonthly.com/articles/stephen-w ... ss-murder/

Very thankful he didn't decide to just be a good witness and call the cops.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

mojo84 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:53 am In spite of some liberal bias, here is an excellent article about that tragic day and the hero that stopped it.

I actually didn't notice any bias in the article. I thought it was great! what that man went through and is still going through....wow. I didn't know much of anything about him.

thank you for sharing the link
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

SewTexas wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:28 am
mojo84 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:53 am In spite of some liberal bias, here is an excellent article about that tragic day and the hero that stopped it.

I actually didn't notice any bias in the article. I thought it was great! what that man went through and is still going through....wow. I didn't know much of anything about him.

thank you for sharing the link

I quit reading TM a long time ago, because they were way too far left for me.
I like the article, they let the subject be the story, rather than their opinion, of the story.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

State Judge is allowing victims to sue retailer where AR15 was purchased. :banghead:

I haven't read the actual ruling but I wonder how it is reasoned that a retailer is responsible for the failure of the Air Force to report him to NICS. They sold a legal product that was not defective. Academy should be exempt from this lawsuit.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/02/04/tex ... -retailer/
Ron
NRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

rtschl wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:23 pm State Judge is allowing victims to sue retailer where AR15 was purchased. :banghead:

I haven't read the actual ruling but I wonder how it is reasoned that a retailer is responsible for the failure of the Air Force to report him to NICS. They sold a legal product that was not defective. Academy should be exempt from this lawsuit.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/02/04/tex ... -retailer/
That wont' last. It violates both Texas and federal law.

Chas.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”