KS:Witchta man dies after fake "Swatting" call

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Re: KS:Witchta man dies after fake "Swatting" call

Post by K.Mooneyham »

When we received training on accidents, we were taught the concept of a chain of events. Breaking any link in the chain will prevent the accident from occurring. I really cannot see how this is any different, besides it not being an accident, which makes it worse. The entire incident would never have occurred, and the deceased would still be alive, had the call never been placed. It is the first link in the chain of events.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 11

Post by MechAg94 »

K.Mooneyham wrote:When we received training on accidents, we were taught the concept of a chain of events. Breaking any link in the chain will prevent the accident from occurring. I really cannot see how this is any different, besides it not being an accident, which makes it worse. The entire incident would never have occurred, and the deceased would still be alive, had the call never been placed. It is the first link in the chain of events.
Yep. There were probably several errors that all came together. With injuries in industrial settings, that is the case as well.

I think in this case there was only one shot. It would be interesting if we could actually get candid commentary from the officers involved. I would settle for at least seeing all the video that police have available so we could get a better picture of events. There were some things said about the way the deceased was behaving that I would like to see for myself.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ninjabread »

K.Mooneyham wrote:When we received training on accidents, we were taught the concept of a chain of events. Breaking any link in the chain will prevent the accident from occurring. I really cannot see how this is any different, besides it not being an accident, which makes it worse. The entire incident would never have occurred, and the deceased would still be alive, had the call never been placed. It is the first link in the chain of events.
It's the first link but every link is to blame. Also there are many prank calls that don't end with an innocent person shot by police and there are many innocent people shot by police that didn't start with a prank call. I'm in favor of prosecuting the prank caller but we also need to prosecute the trigger pullers if it's going to be more than smoke and mirrors.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K.Mooneyham »

ninjabread wrote:
It's the first link but every link is to blame. Also there are many prank calls that don't end with an innocent person shot by police and there are many innocent people shot by police that didn't start with a prank call. I'm in favor of prosecuting the prank caller but we also need to prosecute the trigger pullers if it's going to be more than smoke and mirrors.
I'm sorry I just don't consider that in the same league with a prank call. An admittedly cheesy version of a prank call is the old "Hello, is your refrigerator running? <pause> Well, you better go catch it!", and then hanging up. Prank denotes all-in-good-fun, even if annoying. There is nothing in good fun about sending armed people out after someone.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Rob72 wrote:It really depends on whether or not the Prosecutor wishes to send a message. It would be nice if the FBI would pick this up as a Federal prosecution, but it wasn't a 12 y/o girl that got shot, so...
That sounds great as long as the person who pulled a real trigger on a real gun and killed a real man is co-defendant with the online gamer.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 11

Post by MechAg94 »

IMO, there are two parts this incident. The first is the fake 911 call. It is easy to get caught up on only this part. However, the SWAT team is not a weapon. We should not have to accept that if the SWAT team shows up someone has to die.

IMO, there should be an investigation into exactly what was happening at the scene of the shot?
What the victim was doing?
Why did the officer made the shot? I heard it said he moved his hands toward his waste. Should they shoot if they don't even see a weapon?
Was that shot really necessary at the time?
Would different tactics have made that shot unnecessary (if it was necessary in the first place)?
At what other points after the fake 911 call was made could the officers have realized that it was fake and backed off?
Lastly, should a 911 call be reason enough for a SWAT team to charge in ready kill someone?

That last is a big question to me. If group of men break in my house and I hide in the closet and call 911, I am going to stay on the phone and in contact. I am not going to just call up 911 and then hang up. In addition, the cops should be able to take note of the scene as they approach to confirm the situation on the ground is what has been reported. I think when it comes down to it, the first job of police is not to charge in and save the day much as we would like that to happen.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

MechAg94 wrote:IMO, there are two parts this incident. The first is the fake 911 call. It is easy to get caught up on only this part. However, the SWAT team is not a weapon. We should not have to accept that if the SWAT team shows up someone has to die.

IMO, there should be an investigation into exactly what was happening at the scene of the shot?
What the victim was doing?
Why did the officer made the shot? I heard it said he moved his hands toward his waste. Should they shoot if they don't even see a weapon?
Was that shot really necessary at the time?
Would different tactics have made that shot unnecessary (if it was necessary in the first place)?
At what other points after the fake 911 call was made could the officers have realized that it was fake and backed off?
Lastly, should a 911 call be reason enough for a SWAT team to charge in ready kill someone?

That last is a big question to me. If group of men break in my house and I hide in the closet and call 911, I am going to stay on the phone and in contact. I am not going to just call up 911 and then hang up. In addition, the cops should be able to take note of the scene as they approach to confirm the situation on the ground is what has been reported. I think when it comes down to it, the first job of police is not to charge in and save the day much as we would like that to happen.
this last bit. People have got to start using their brains again! cops, teachers, everyone. I realize thinking is "so 1990" but I thought we were living in a time that "everything old is new again".....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

C-dub wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:06 pm https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-m ... kansas-man

He got 20 years!
yes! :hurry:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Grumpy1993
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grumpy1993 »

SewTexas wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:07 pm
C-dub wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:06 pm https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-m ... kansas-man

He got 20 years!
yes! :hurry:
:thumbs2: :thumbs2:

I wish Gerald Goines would get double that for swatting a married couple and their puppy.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/ohio-gamer-sente ... 55303.html

Ohio gamer gets 15 months prison for setting up swatting in Wichita after losing a $1.50 bet.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

"ReD FlAg lAwS WiLl Be UsEd ApProPiAteLy" says the current media...

Uh huh, sure.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:07 am https://news.yahoo.com/ohio-gamer-sente ... 55303.html

Ohio gamer gets 15 months prison for setting up swatting in Wichita after losing a $1.50 bet.
I bet that doofus is more upset about the two year restriction from playing video games than the 18 months in prison. Considering someone was killed as a result of his actions, I think the sentence is way to easy.

hondo44
Banned

Post by hondo44 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:09 am
philip964 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:07 am https://news.yahoo.com/ohio-gamer-sente ... 55303.html

I bet that doofus is more upset about the two year restriction from playing video games than the 18 months in prison. Considering someone was killed as a result of his actions, I think the sentence is way to easy.
this one is really unfortunate because it doesn't tell the whole story. the kid had been cyber bullied, cyber stalked, doxxed and all his boxes were pwned. The whole thing really just got out of hand. I believe Congressman Tyson got involved at some point, but he's a humble man.
Chinese SKS, Yugo SKS, Romanian AK-74, Mossberg 500, Hi-Point 9mm carbine, Colt 2000 IWB

Return to “The Crime Blotter”