CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 7

CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Post by philip964 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/unarmed-blac ... 06486.html

Police mistook cell phone in his hand for a gun.

At first sounds pretty bad for police what with him in his backyard and everything.

Press of course trying to make a lot from it, since there may be a racial difference between the police and the dead man.

However, at night. And if you watch the video, man is no angel. Most of us don’t spend our evenings breaking car windows in our neighborhood, and running through backyards, jumping fences.

Watch the video, cool how it shows the people bright white. Wish the helicopter didn’t circle around.

Hope the officers are not charged.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

philip964 wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/news/unarmed-blac ... 06486.html

Police mistook cell phone in his hand for a gun.

At first sounds pretty bad for police what with him in his backyard and everything.

Press of course trying to make a lot from it, since there may be a racial difference between the police and the dead man.

However, at night. And if you watch the video, man is no angel. Most of us don’t spend our evenings breaking car windows in our neighborhood, and running through backyards, jumping fences.

Watch the video, cool how it shows the people bright white. Wish the helicopter didn’t circle around.

Hope the officers are not charged.
I hope the officers are not guilty of a crime. But if they are guilty, then I hope they ARE charged, found guilty and punished appropriately. I'm assuming this is what you mean by the last statement of your post.

Killed in his own back yard sounds bad, but as I mentioned in a recent post, I "shot" a man with a cell phone during a use of force simulation I recently did while in Vegas. It is tough to distinguish exactly what is in someone's hands in the dark. Going forward, I think I would avoid having anything in my hands when confronted by police, and would just drop whatever I did have. A broken cell phone is the least of your worries in this type of situation.

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

Shows that you can't hide from a thermal camera. Cops shot 20 rounds. If you or I were confronted by someone and used deadly force for what turned out to be a cell phone we would be in big trouble. The cop that killed the Australian woman with a cell phone in her hand is still free. There are just too many of these types of story's. I realize that they have a dangerous job but what we see over and over is shooting without adequate time for the alleged BG to respond.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

rotor wrote:The cop that killed the Australian woman with a cell phone in her hand is still free.
Mohammed Noor was charged Tuesday with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter, released on $400,000 bail.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/22/us/sacra ... index.html

Black LIves Matter block most ticket holders from entering Rockets game with Sacramento last night. Protest over unarmed black man being shot by police in grandmothers back yard.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Turns out the guy was a thief, was not in his backyard and pointed the cellphone like it was a gun.

http://www.themaven.net/bluelivesmatter ... ssion=true

But the media already has the narrative out there and they will flog it like a dead horse.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Comply, comply, comply. That is all you have to do. Don't run, reach, or point anything that could resemble a firearm in the direction of an officer and you will continue to remain vertical. In low light conditions, pointing a hair brush could mistaken as a firearm. Why would someone do that anyway? Its like they are trying to get the cops to open fire. If he did point is Iphone towards the officers, then he won the stupid award. Congrats.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

rotor

Post by rotor »

nightmare69 wrote:Comply, comply, comply. That is all you have to do. Don't run, reach, or point anything that could resemble a firearm in the direction of an officer and you will continue to remain vertical. In low light conditions, pointing a hair brush could mistaken as a firearm. Why would someone do that anyway? Its like they are trying to get the cops to open fire. If he did point is Iphone towards the officers, then he won the stupid award. Congrats.
I watched the video. "Show me your hands" and instantly "gun,gun,gun" and instantly they are shooting. All instantly at least from what the video shows. Nobody would have time to "comply". I don't know the real status of this kid but I put myself in that picture and know that those cops acted so fast that I would have been dead too no matter what I did. They got off 20 rounds pretty fast. Normally I side with the cops but this video has me wondering.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PriestTheRunner »

rotor wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Comply, comply, comply. That is all you have to do. Don't run, reach, or point anything that could resemble a firearm in the direction of an officer and you will continue to remain vertical. In low light conditions, pointing a hair brush could mistaken as a firearm. Why would someone do that anyway? Its like they are trying to get the cops to open fire. If he did point is Iphone towards the officers, then he won the stupid award. Congrats.
I watched the video. "Show me your hands" and instantly "gun,gun,gun" and instantly they are shooting. All instantly at least from what the video shows. Nobody would have time to "comply". I don't know the real status of this kid but I put myself in that picture and know that those cops acted so fast that I would have been dead too no matter what I did. They got off 20 rounds pretty fast. Normally I side with the cops but this video has me wondering.
Except instead of immediately complying, he ran around the back of the house.... If he had laid down on the front yard we wouldn't be reading about this and he would've gotten a several-month slap on the wrist with some probation.

Comparing this to the 'robbery gone bad auto parts' story, there is a reason LEO's go fence hopping and door- busting over so called "petty" crime. Eventually, the disregard for society and the lives of others means the theif/robber will take a life (with only a few exceptions).

Example: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... ood-person

The mindset of I'm getting what belongs to me (through theft) is something that starts small and expands drastically, to the point that even convicted (confessed) murders consider themselves good people.

Long story short, police tell you to stop or get on the ground, running to the back yard (out of sight) and holding anything is not a great idea.

rotor

Post by rotor »

PriestTheRunner wrote:
Except instead of immediately complying, he ran around the back of the house.... If he had laid down on the front yard we wouldn't be reading about this and he would've gotten a several-month slap on the wrist with some probation.

Comparing this to the 'robbery gone bad auto parts' story, there is a reason LEO's go fence hopping and door- busting over so called "petty" crime. Eventually, the disregard for society and the lives of others means the theif/robber will take a life (with only a few exceptions).

Example: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... ood-person

The mindset of I'm getting what belongs to me (through theft) is something that starts small and expands drastically, to the point that even convicted (confessed) murders consider themselves good people.

Long story short, police tell you to stop or get on the ground, running to the back yard (out of sight) and holding anything is not a great idea.
I didn't get this from the video I saw. I saw and heard "show me your hands" and almost instantly "gun,gun,gun" and instantly two cops firing. I didn't see any orders to comply to except the "show me your hands" and when he did the cell phone looked like a gun, for a full two cops shooting 20 rounds. Perhaps there is more video coming. Was he given orders to lay down in his front yard?

I also just saw this...
https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesmatte ... ssion=true

according to that report...
Officers on the ground spotted Clark as he moved along the side of his grandparents’ home, and “gave the suspect commands to stop and show his hands,” police said, according to The Sacramento Bee. “[He] immediately fled from the officers and ran towards the back of the home.”

But, when you watch the video it is almost instantaneous when they order him to show his hands and almost instantaneous when they shoot. I don't know which to believe.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Watch the heli video. It shows the first interaction in the front of the house.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

People often 'think' they can argue when told to comply by L.E.

Stand there and demand the answer to your stupid questions 'like why' or 'you can't tell me what to do'...keep on thinking that while thinking about your stupid self's headstone preferance...polished granite maybe or just a little metal plack...

Guess what?

It's not a negotiable situation when it comes to doing what L.E. tells you.

Do it!

Argue about the legality of being told what to do later...cuz, you know...you'll still be alive.

(and put that phone away before the cops arrive - it wasn't transplanted to your hand)

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Clark.html

Officers will most likely not be charge.

On drugs and suicidal.

Black lives matter may not see it that way. May be in the news in the coming week.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter ... zPWN4Wb8Q/

Mayor wants criminal penalties for justified shootings.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”