Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

User avatar

Topic author
Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1912
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#1

Post by Flightmare » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:42 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04/23 ... s-say.html
Toronto cops nabbed the suspected driver who plowed into a group of people on a crowded city street, leaving several injured and the grim sight of what appeared to be bodies covered by sheets.
I'm still waiting for "common sense vehicle control legislation" to prevent things like this from happening. :banghead:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3140
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#2

Post by SewTexas » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:09 pm

this is horrible! hearing the witnesses is just awful
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3480
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#3

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:38 pm

When is enough going to be enough? Thousands killed in motor vehicle "accidents" every year. Road rage at epidemic levels, and we have "assault vehicles" all over civilian roads. We need to have school walkouts at least once a week until we get some common sense vehicle laws passed. Stand up to the automobile lobby! Let's march for our lives (literally since vehicles are bad).

Raise the minimum age for drivers licenses to 40!

Universal background checks for all vehicle purchases with cross references to mental health databases. End the deadly CAR SHOW LOOPHOLE!

Applicants for a drivers license should show "good cause" for the exact size and type of vehicle they want to buy. Licenses should list one specific vehicle (by VIN) that you can drive. "Good cause" needs to be more than just getting to work. You can take the bus for that.

Immediate ban on all vehicles capable of driving more than 75 miles per hour. Look, I am a car owner and a staunch supporter of our right to transportation, but no one needs a vehicle that can exceed the legal speed limit in most every state.

Extensive regulation on all vehicles weighing more than a Smart car. If someone can show good cause for needing such an "assault vehicle" then they should register with the federal government, and pay an annual $10,000 (+$1 per pound) tax stamp. They should also give notice to federal, state and local law enforcement before travelling between states in such a weapon of war.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

JustSomeOldGuy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 894
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:49 am

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#4

Post by JustSomeOldGuy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:43 pm

How about "stop renting 'assault vans' to terrorists and the mentally ill". No rental without a finger print background check and a psych evaluation. :evil2:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

User avatar

Topic author
Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1912
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#5

Post by Flightmare » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:47 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:When is enough going to be enough? Thousands killed in motor vehicle "accidents" every year. Road rage at epidemic levels, and we have "assault vehicles" all over civilian roads. We need to have school walkouts at least once a week until we get some common sense vehicle laws passed. Stand up to the automobile lobby! Let's march for our lives (literally since vehicles are bad).
Don't forget the kid in El Paso who was killed on friday 4/20 during the school walkout for gun control, struck by a vehicle on the freeway.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3480
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#6

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Flightmare wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:When is enough going to be enough? Thousands killed in motor vehicle "accidents" every year. Road rage at epidemic levels, and we have "assault vehicles" all over civilian roads. We need to have school walkouts at least once a week until we get some common sense vehicle laws passed. Stand up to the automobile lobby! Let's march for our lives (literally since vehicles are bad).
Don't forget the kid in El Paso who was killed on friday 4/20 during the school walkout for gun control, struck by a vehicle on the freeway.
Don't worry. We are going to ban freeways next. Banning assault vehicles is just a start.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


jason812
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#7

Post by jason812 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:When is enough going to be enough? Thousands killed in motor vehicle "accidents" every year. Road rage at epidemic levels, and we have "assault vehicles" all over civilian roads. We need to have school walkouts at least once a week until we get some common sense vehicle laws passed. Stand up to the automobile lobby! Let's march for our lives (literally since vehicles are bad).
Don't forget the kid in El Paso who was killed on friday 4/20 during the school walkout for gun control, struck by a vehicle on the freeway.
Don't worry. We are going to ban freeways next. Banning assault vehicles is just a start.
It would appear Coryell county has started on that trend. The roads around my land were dirt, then paved, now they have gone back to dirt. Thank you Coryell county for looking out for the kids.


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8084
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#8

Post by Abraham » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:06 pm

Details?

Johnny Jihad or simple, horrible accident?

User avatar

allisji
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Seabrook

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#9

Post by allisji » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Abraham wrote:Details?

Johnny Jihad or simple, horrible accident?
Sounds very much to be no accident from eyewitness accounts. Driver was in a rental van from Ryder, running people down on the sidewalk. Sadly, we've heard this all before. Too many times. Barcelona, New York City, Nice, London. To borrow a phrase from London Mayor Sadiq Khan, this is part and parcel of living in a big city now.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state rep Dennis Paul about co-sponsoring HB560.


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8084
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#10

Post by Abraham » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:01 pm

Odd, they don't come where people might shoot them before they get to commit mayhem.

Maybe, they will and won't they be surprised...?

User avatar

Topic author
Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1912
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#11

Post by Flightmare » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:21 pm

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29787/wa ... benshapiro
According to former New York City Police Commissioner Bill Braton's sources, Canadian law enforcement say the driver was known to authorities and they believe the incident was indeed a terrorist attack.
The latest figures indicate that at least nine people have died as a result of the suspected terrorist attack
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

G26ster
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2473
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#12

Post by G26ster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:07 pm

I watched two news conferences in a row. First was about the shooting at the Waffle House. All about guns and legal questions about gun laws. Very little about the shooter (perpetrator). Next was the Toronto van attack. No mention of van laws, or van rental laws, only about the driver (perpetrator.) Odd how that works :banghead:

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8693
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#13

Post by Beiruty » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Someone should sue the Van Rental Company.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

User avatar

allisji
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Seabrook

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#14

Post by allisji » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Abraham wrote:Odd, they don't come where people might shoot them before they get to commit mayhem.

Maybe, they will and won't they be surprised...?
I wouldn't be surprised by this kind of an attack in one of our cities. It would be hard for a bystander with a pistol to stop a maniac in a truck before he is able to run over lots of pedestrians on a crowded sidewalk.

right now I think it's more of a numbers game than anything else. How many ISIS or al Qaeda sympathizers live in Houston per capita compared to Toronto? You could question why the per capita number means anything when all it takes is one crazy person with a truck to commit this kind of terror. But I think that it's harder for one person to be emboldened to act in this manner if he doesn't have a network of people encouraging this type of horrific behavior.

All that said... the cop killer in Dallas could have used a truck to run over officers... the terrorist at Ft. Hood could have used a truck. The would be shooters in Garland may have been more "successful" if they had never gotten out of their vehicle as well. Someone could have run over hundreds of spectators during the Astros world series parade.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state rep Dennis Paul about co-sponsoring HB560.

User avatar

allisji
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Seabrook

Re: Van plows into pedestrians in Toronto

#15

Post by allisji » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:27 pm

G26ster wrote:I watched two news conferences in a row. First was about the shooting at the Waffle House. All about guns and legal questions about gun laws. Very little about the shooter (perpetrator). Next was the Toronto van attack. No mention of van laws, or van rental laws, only about the driver (perpetrator.) Odd how that works :banghead:
If it turns out that this guy is a Islamist terrorist then they will stop talking about him. You know... they don't want to give him any fame or glorify his actions to any would-be copy-cats. If he's a white supremacist though... Then his picture will be plastered on every network station non-stop for most of the next year (or at least till after the 2018 midterm elections).
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state rep Dennis Paul about co-sponsoring HB560.

Post Reply

Return to “The Crime Blotter”