MI: Detroit Woman Sentenced To 2 Years For Armed Self-Defense

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 1

MI: Detroit Woman Sentenced To 2 Years For Armed Self-Defense

Post by TrueFlog »

http://reason.com/blog/2018/05/02/black ... h-in-priso

According to the article, she brandished her legally-owned firearm at a neighbor who intentionally rammed her car. The primary explanation given by the police and prosecutors is their policy of assuming that whoever calls the police first is the victim. In this case, that was the attacker, so the true victim will now spend two years in prison.

I thought the last paragraph in the story ws especially poignant.
The Sierra Club and Black Lives Matter have expressed serious concerns about how this case was handled. Given that it involves a legal gun owner protecting her family and her property, it would be nice to see the National Rifle Association speak up as well.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: MI: Detroit Woman Sentenced To 2 Years For Armed Self-Defense

Post by puma guy »

I hope her appeal throws this out!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Something is strange here. One of the charges she was convicted of was "felony firearm possession". Was she in legal possession of the gun? Also, she apparently left her 2 year old girl in the car, alone, with the gun in the glove box. Unless that was a locking glove box, that is a huge problem.

If she was illegally in possession of the gun, then that changes things. And obviously the NRA should NOT get involved if that is the case. Not that I ever remember the NRA getting involved in any other SD cases, but maybe they have.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I've heard repeatedly here in Texas that if you draw your firearm you should be the first one to make a police report.

The policy of first report is the victim is bad policy and should be banned from all police departments nationwide. Law enforcement and prosecutors need to investigate conflicting reports to determine which is the truth.

As far as this story, there's probably more to it than what is being said by activists seeking the woman's release. If not, then an appeals court should overturn both convictions and free her.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"The policy of first report is the victim is bad policy and should be banned from all police departments nationwide."

Sadly, this 'I called first' garbage needs another looking at...

So, if I unjustly kill someone, but then immediately call the cops I'm off scott free.?

Dumb....

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Something is strange here. One of the charges she was convicted of was "felony firearm possession". Was she in legal possession of the gun? Also, she apparently left her 2 year old girl in the car, alone, with the gun in the glove box. Unless that was a locking glove box, that is a huge problem.

If she was illegally in possession of the gun, then that changes things. And obviously the NRA should NOT get involved if that is the case. Not that I ever remember the NRA getting involved in any other SD cases, but maybe they have.
I do not know Michigan law, but it is possible that the "felony firearm possession" was because she was convicted of a felony while using a firearm.
The offense of Felony Firearm means that a person is accused of carrying or possessing a firearm when committing or attempting to commit a felony.
It is a separate and additional felony charge and conviction. ... Another common accompanying felony is the Felon being in Possession of a Firearm offense.
http://michigancriminalattorney.com/felony-firearms/

Reading the story, it appears that the jury was pressured to reach a verdict before a blizzard hit.
NRA Endowment Member

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

WildBill wrote: Reading the story, it appears that the jury was pressured to reach a verdict before a blizzard hit.
So one could postulate that in Detroit, "there's snow justice"? :biggrinjester:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

What a great policy.
3:05AM
911: "911- What is your emergency?"
"Uh! I'm trying to rob a house and they're shooting at me!"
911: "Is That 555 XYZ Street?"
"Uh! Yeah, I think so!"
911: "Oh! You poor dear. We're sending help right away!"
3:07AM
911: "911 - What is your emergency?"
"There's a guy who licked down our door and he's trying to rob us! Help!"
911: "Is that 555 XYZ Street?"
"Yes, yes it is, hurry send help"
911: "Police are on the way to take you into custody, be sure you surrender peacefully to them when they arrive." Have a nice day....in court!"
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

apostate

Post by apostate »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Something is strange here. One of the charges she was convicted of was "felony firearm possession". Was she in legal possession of the gun? Also, she apparently left her 2 year old girl in the car, alone, with the gun in the glove box. Unless that was a locking glove box, that is a huge problem.
I believe it's a felony to have a handgun in your vehicle in Michigan unless you have a license to carry.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
WildBill wrote: Reading the story, it appears that the jury was pressured to reach a verdict before a blizzard hit.
So one could postulate that in Detroit, "there's snow justice"? :biggrinjester:
I appreciate your sense of humor. :mrgreen:
This situation reminds me of 12 Angry Men when Juror #7 wants to reach a verdict quickly because he has tickets to a baseball game.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

apostate wrote:
I believe it's a felony to have a handgun in your vehicle in Michigan unless you have a license to carry.
Michigan law also provides that a person may carry, transport or possess a firearm without a hunting license
if the firearm is unloaded in both the barrel and magazine, and either enclosed in a case or carried in a vehicle
in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.Nov 27, 2017
The article stated that the handgun was in the glove box and was not loaded.
http://lawcenter.giffords.org/guns-in-v ... -michigan/
NRA Endowment Member

apostate

Post by apostate »

I believe they're talking about 750.227c which is a misdemeanor offense for having a loaded firearm, other than a pistol, in a vehicle.

The felony offense is for a pistol in a vehicle, if you don't have a license to carry, and that law doesn't care if the handgun is loaded or unloaded.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

apostate wrote:I believe they're talking about 750.227c which is a misdemeanor offense for having a loaded firearm, other than a pistol, in a vehicle.

The felony offense is for a pistol in a vehicle, if you don't have a license to carry, and that law doesn't care if the handgun is loaded or unloaded.
This newer post says that she did have a concealed carry permit.
IMO, the posts on this case are very political and don't concentrate on the legal issues so it's difficult to find out what laws she was charged and convicted.
https://www.vox.com/2018/5/4/17311452/g ... -salama-ra
NRA Endowment Member

Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

WildBill wrote:IMO, the posts on this case are very political and don't concentrate on the legal issues so it's difficult to find out what laws she was charged and convicted.
I think that's by design. If she was on the right side of the law, that would be the end of the story.

Instead she's not guilty because she's black. She's not guilty because she's a woman. She's not guilty because she's pregnant. She's not guilty because she's a SJW. She's not guilty because the weather outside is frightful.

Anyway, even if she's guilty, she shouldn't be in prison. It's cruel to lock up a pregnant convict. It's cruel that the prison doesn't provide Halal certified meals. And so on and so on.
I prefer peace, but if trouble must come, let it be in my time that my children may know peace.

https://i.imgur.com/BcHTIe2.jpg

Return to “The Crime Blotter”