NJ: Are you required to give police your name?

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

NJ: Are you required to give police your name?

Post by philip964 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bodycam-vide ... 40743.html

When a police office asks for my name I give it to him.

If a police officer asks me stand on one leg and hop I do it. As an attorney pointed out to me, it’s important to pass the attitude test. He said speeding tickets come in two flavors, a speeding ticket and a speeding ticket with resisting arrest. He said those clients usually had bandages for the first interview.

I didn’t like it when the drinking age was raised to 21. I’m about freedom. The woman was 20 with a child, if she wants to drink on the beach, let her.

This may be about raising money or maybe she was roudy and some one called the police on her.

Is it an arrestible offense to not give your name?

If the officer has not said your under arrest, can you walk away?

Obviously attempting to kick an officer is illegal.

Struggling with an officer to prevent him from arresting you would also be illegal.

I don’t like NJ for a lot of reasons.

Txtension

Re: NJ: Are you required to give police your name?

Post by Txtension »

The tree of liberty is watered with the blood of Tyrants and Patriots.

I would identify myself to an officer. I would not resist an officer who decided to arrest me, for whatever reason.

If he wants me to hop on a leg and yodel the alphabet. I'll ask him to repeat his command, then decline to follow "orders," and take the ride downtown.

It is unfortunate that the Judicial system may be weaponized, such that you may beat the rap but you won't beat the ride. So be it. I'll stand up to injustice, because I don't think we should leave our fights for our children to resolve.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

If you're stopped for speeding then, yes. You must ID yourself.

In this instance, I don't know why. She proved she hadn't been drinking and the reason they wanted her last name was because they were going to issue her a citation. A citation for what? Possession of something that she said wasn't hers and proved she hadn't been drinking. I predict the charges will be dropped once she obtains a lawyer.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

Failing a breathalyzer is not proof you haven't been drinking. It's proof you aren't legally drunk.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

This is NJ. NJ does have citizens, it has subjects. Resisting an officer there, for any reason, is a bad choice. We'll see how this one goes.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Bruin98 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:11 pm Failing a breathalyzer is not proof you haven't been drinking. It's proof you aren't legally drunk.
The evidence we have so far is the woman's statement of saying that it was negative. Without an actual number that indicates to me that it might have been zero. Wouldn't "failing" a breathalyzer mean you were legally drunk?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rotor

Post by rotor »

The former chief of police in an area community is now in jail. He tried to make one woman he had arrested his slave. He ordered two men arrested that were in the back of his police car to have oral sex. Would you still stand on one leg and hop when a police officer tells you to do it?

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I would show him my Texas LTC to let him know I’m a good guy. Then I would provide a blood sample and then dance for him and plead for him not to take me to jail. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “The Crime Blotter”