TX: Houston 5 YO gets gun for mom to shoot dad.

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

TX: Houston 5 YO gets gun for mom to shoot dad.

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/chil ... police-say

A lot of mixed feelings about this one.

Three kids at home. Mom has a restraining order against dad. He breaks in and begins strangling mom. 8 YO attempts to help mom. 5 YO gets gun gives it to mom who shoots dad in the arm. Dad’s released from hospital and out on bond.

I wish the world was a better place for kids to grow up in.

The 2 nd Amendment works.

clarionite

Re: TX: Houston 5 YO gets gun for mom to shoot dad.

Post by clarionite »

As the saying goes, teach your children to shoot because a Restraining Order is just a piece of paper.

Such a sad situation the children had to witness.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

One could argue that this is a perfect example of why the proposed "safe storage laws" are a bad idea. The 5 year old was able to retrieve the firearm for mom stop the attacker.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

It is something how much the world has changed since I was 19 and had 2 kids. The first part is my total disbelief that any 19 year old could handle a wife and 2 kids these days. Including when mine were that age...LOL. But safe storage in my home involved keeping the gun out of sight and having my kids absolutely convinced that a gun is not a toy but a tool that will kill anything on the other end of the shot fired.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I grew up in a house with unsecured shotguns (the 1950s). I was told that if I ever touched one of those without a parent present, I wouldn't sit down for a week, and I believed it.

:biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Allons

Post by Allons »

Flightmare wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:41 pm One could argue that this is a perfect example of why the proposed "safe storage laws" are a bad idea. The 5 year old was able to retrieve the firearm for mom stop the attacker.

:iagree:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

strogg

Post by strogg »

The safe storage laws are around to punish stupid people and the bad parents after something horrific happens, not to protect the the kids or parents. Think about it. When minors get unsupervised and non-permissive access to firearms and do harm, there is gross negligence on the part of the parents. Those same people probably wouldn't have known and definitely didn't bother to even care about the safe storage laws.

Now, I understand the intentions of said law, but execution of the law can definitely improve. When it boils down to it, it's all about educating people about gun safety and discipline. It's all about showing respect to the gun and not fearing the gun.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

All but my daily carry and a couple home defense weapons are in a gun safe. More to protect me from thieves than anything else. When I am out of town all are in a safe to protect law enforcement in the case they have to stop a break in at my home. I don't want to arm a bugler. When my 3 year old grand daughter comes over I do put my defense weapons up in a high place. She is so darned curious.

rotor

Post by rotor »

I bought my own .22 rifle as a 12 year old living in NYC by walking into a store with money in my hand.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”