What Would You Do To Help

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

What Would You Do To Help

Post by carlson1 »

I have looked and did not see this posted so I hope I have not double posted it.

I have thought about this a lot the last couple of days and have asked myself and my wife what could we have done to help? To be honest with the “mob” I don’t see any way to intervene other than calling 911. If you pull a gun you will end up shooting? If you pull a gun how many of those will pull a gun? By the way I am personally against even being in a mall. Most of my shopping is done online now days.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox4news ... lf-defense

One of the two men facing charges after police say they beat two teens for being loud during a movie at Stonebriar Centre says he was just defending himself.

Sincere Wheat, 18, says he was initially attacked by a large group of “15 to 20 dudes." However, cell phone video shows something else.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What Would You Do To Help

Post by bblhd672 »

There is nothing a citizen can do to help in that situation except call 911 as you get you and your family out of the area. Attempting to intervene will likely result in being attacked by multiple people.

I avoid the Parks Mall in Arlington as much as possible, and especially at night.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Personally, I would not have pulled a gun in that situation. I am not under attack and there is no other deadly force being used. I am not a cop and my authority to intervene is limited.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

This is another case were a location has been usurped by those with no good reason to be there. The video says that the entrance is left open for movie theater access but I'd be willing to be that, on any given night, there are many there with no intention of going to see a movie. So it is an accident waiting to happen late at night.

I agree that there is nothing that could be done besides calling 911. I've watched too many videos of gangs of kids where there are more than 10-12. The outcome will, IMHO, always be unpredictable. It could take a lot of firepower to just hold your own (assuming that they turned on you for just being there) and the odds for your seeing the inside of a jail afterward are extremely high. If it looks like something is going to go down, I'm on the phone while I'm moving. Let LE sort it out.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

03Lightningrocks

It just hit me. Where the heck was the usual off duty police guard I see at every theater I am ever at? Is there not any at that theater?

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I can't imagine the circumstance that would have me and/or mine in any Mall at that time of night. BTW, is it me or were the participants in that particular brouhaha of a distinct origin?

Should we be caught in such a situation, we be callin' 911 as we be boogien'.

03Lightningrocks

Oldgringo wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 pm I can't imagine the circumstance that would have me and/or mine in any Mall at that time of night. BTW, is it me or were the participants in that particular brouhaha of a distinct origin?

Should we be caught in such a situation, we be callin' 911 as we be boogien'.
Hey old friend. It has been awhile. Good to see your still on this side of the dirt. :tiphat: To be honest, I have not been to a theater in almost 3 years now. I can watch any movie I want in the comfort and safety of my living room.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

#1 I have amazon.com I need nothing from any mall
#2 my entertainment is no longer at the theaters. I have a big tv and 4k content
#3 if I see that I am calling pd while bugging out. I know the Kobyashi Maru (no win scenario) when I see it.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Allons

Post by Allons »

chasfm11 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:47 pm This is another case were a location has been usurped by those with no good reason to be there. The video says that the entrance is left open for movie theater access but I'd be willing to be that, on any given night, there are many there with no intention of going to see a movie. So it is an accident waiting to happen late at night.

I agree that there is nothing that could be done besides calling 911. I've watched too many videos of gangs of kids where there are more than 10-12. The outcome will, IMHO, always be unpredictable. It could take a lot of firepower to just hold your own (assuming that they turned on you for just being there) and the odds for your seeing the inside of a jail afterward are extremely high. If it looks like something is going to go down, I'm on the phone while I'm moving. Let LE sort it out.
:iagree: Let LE sort it out.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I’d say the majority census would agree, call 911 and skedaddle. Now, just for stirring the pot’s sake, lets throw one of them pulling a knife. Now what would you do.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:34 am I’d say the majority census would agree, call 911 and skedaddle. Now, just for stirring the pot’s sake, lets throw one of them pulling a knife. Now what would you do.
Get those for whom I am responsible, and myself, out of the danger zone as quickly and safely as possible with the minimum use of force or deadly force. If someone were to approach me with a knife in a threatening manner, I would most likely be out of less lethal options. I would probably draw to count two of my draw stroke and attempt to avoid using deadly force. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZfgutNufU Texas Penal Code section 9.04 allows for the justified use of the threat of force. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/docs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm.

I know how quickly I can get acceptable hits one-handed from count two or two-handed from count three of my drawstroke. I know how quickly I can engage multiple targets. Going to guns is my last option, after my run-fu fails.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks

Even if one of them pulled a knife, I still would not intervene. My main concern would be for my family and I would be out of there with them as quickly as possible. This situation had all the hallmarks of two kids having a fight.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

bblhd672 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:52 pm There is nothing a citizen can do to help in that situation except call 911 as you get you and your family out of the area. Attempting to intervene will likely result in being attacked by multiple people.

I avoid the Parks Mall in Arlington as much as possible, and especially at night.
Interesting that you mention parks mall, several years ago I was there while a friend of mine was shopping. We hear a alot of yelling, cussing, there in the middle of the mall these two women are standing face to face yelling at each other, unknown what about since neither could yell anything but something degrading about the other, after two or three minutes one hauls off an slaps the other in the face, that turns the yelling match into a full blown fight, here's the scary part of this, some how this brings about a general melee from bystanders, at least a dozen people just start fighting. My friend ask me what do we do, I told her it's time for us to leave, and we got outta there quick! I have never been to parks mall since!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Yes, just get away from it. Right this minute, as you read this, something like this is happening somewhere. It's not your prerogative to wade into it just because you have a LTC. An LTC doesn't make you Batman.
-Ruark

03Lightningrocks

LOL... I forgot about the "Batman License" response. Haha... It was always my favorite.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”