Dallas Costco Robbed Today

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Dallas Costco Robbed Today

Post by Lynyrd »

warnmar10 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:09 am
Lynyrd wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:16 am
warnmar10 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:38 pm
Lynyrd wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:55 pm Not a reason to draw your sidearm. Although despicable behavior, and repulsive.
If you're in Costco you left your sidearm in the car, right?
Never been in a Costco. Don't know what their policy is. My statement was in general about such situations.
If I had been there and had forgotten to disarm before entering and assuming I was in reasonable proximity of the actual activity I'm pretty sure I would draw my sidearm and take a defensive position if at all possible.

Would I fire on the teens? I seriously doubt it. But, I would have the gun toting teen in my sights, again, if at all possible.
I had to go back and read the story again. I missed the part about one of them having a handgun. I thought it was just an axe. Yes, I would have drawn and taken a defensive position if I had seen one of them with a gun. But my gun would have stayed at low ready. I should have read closer.
Last edited by Lynyrd on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Hmm...sounds awfully familiar. Maybe it's just some new transplants from California:

http://abc7.com/armed-robbers-sought-af ... o/3074849/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

warnmar10 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:09 am
Lynyrd wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:16 am
warnmar10 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:38 pm
Lynyrd wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:55 pm Not a reason to draw your sidearm. Although despicable behavior, and repulsive.
If you're in Costco you left your sidearm in the car, right?
Never been in a Costco. Don't know what their policy is. My statement was in general about such situations.
If I had been there and had forgotten to disarm before entering and assuming I was in reasonable proximity of the actual activity I'm pretty sure I would draw my sidearm and take a defensive position if at all possible.

Would I fire on the teens? I seriously doubt it. But, I would have the gun toting teen in my sights, again, if at all possible.
The only problem with that is you could easily be mistaken as part of the robbers. I could see staying behind cover and ready to act but standing there holding a gun in that situation? I dunno.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:35 pm
dlh wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:34 pm All of this bound to be caught on store surveillance video---out in the parking lot too. Wonder if they will release it to the public.
Not necessarily the video was working. Guns are prohibited, they called the police on this legal concealed carrier.

viewtopic.php?t=36107

This is from 2010. Haven’t forgiven them yet.
Yeah, that incident in 2010 is not something I can forgive either. Costco has some nice stuff, but I don't shop there.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I dont shop there. I have thought about stumbling on a robery often. I would back away, take cover and not do anything unless shots are fired. Its much safer for them to just LEAVE!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jerry_r60 »

Pawpaw wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:35 pm
Lena wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 pm check the fine print when you joined and signed it
That doesn't make it illegal. It just means they can revoke your membership.

I'll take that gamble.
Are you sure it doesn’t? Is that not written notice that a member has acknowledged receiving?

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Paladin wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:37 pm
philip964 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:35 pm
dlh wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:34 pm All of this bound to be caught on store surveillance video---out in the parking lot too. Wonder if they will release it to the public.
Not necessarily the video was working. Guns are prohibited, they called the police on this legal concealed carrier.

viewtopic.php?t=36107

This is from 2010. Haven’t forgiven them yet.
Yeah, that incident in 2010 is not something I can forgive either. Costco has some nice stuff, but I don't shop there.
I had forgotten why I let my membership expire. That was when and the reason. I have not been back in there since then.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

jerry_r60 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:34 pm
Lena wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 pm check the fine print when you joined and signed it

I'll take that gamble.
Are you sure it doesn’t? Is that not written notice that a member has acknowledged receiving?
Doesn't matter. If it's not 30.06 wording, it's not enforceable.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 4

Post by warnmar10 »

Pawpaw wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:17 pmDoesn't matter. If it's not 30.06 wording, it's not enforceable.
So if I join a members only private club and by signing my name under the line that says, "I have read and acknowledge all the rules and restrictions of membership and I agree to abide and be bound by the rules...," that is not considered legal notice under Texas laws and I can just ignore the gun prohibition? Cool!

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

warnmar10 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:06 pm
Pawpaw wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:17 pmDoesn't matter. If it's not 30.06 wording, it's not enforceable.
So if I join a members only private club and by signing my name under the line that says, "I have read and acknowledge all the rules and restrictions of membership and I agree to abide and be bound by the rules...," that is not considered legal notice under Texas laws and I can just ignore the gun prohibition? Cool!
Under Texas law, to be criminally liable, the written notice must conform to the exact wording in 30.06. Otherwise, all you have done is violate the membership rules.
PC §30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN.
a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
(1) carries a concealed handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
(2) received notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden.
(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
(c) In this section:
(1) “Entry” has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
(2) “License holder” has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).
(3) “Written communication” means:
(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”
; or
(B) a sign posted on the property that:
(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jerry_r60 »

Pawpaw wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:17 pm
jerry_r60 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:34 pm

I'll take that gamble.
Doesn't matter. If it's not 30.06 wording, it's not enforceable.
Thanks for the refresher. I recalled that written noticed can be handed over but didnt' recall it still had to match the 30.06 language.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

If you carry there and you end up dieing because you did, does it really matter that they didn’t have a sign.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

philip964 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:32 pm If you carry there and you end up dieing because you did, does it really matter that they didn’t have a sign.
If only we could ask Erik Scott.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I just don't understand how an armed bad guy can just ignore a sign posted stating no guns inside the business!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 4

Post by warnmar10 »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:52 am I just don't understand how an armed bad guy can just ignore a sign posted stating no guns inside the business!
Does anyone know if any of the teens involved is a Costco member? I believe a member can bring up to 3 guests but only the member can make purchases. Anyway, I blame the lady or ladies at the front door who are supposed to see a Costco card before granting entry.

In fairness, we shouldn't leave out the people who monitor the exit and pretend to check that your receipt matches what is in your cart. Clearly that system is broken too.

My suggestion: Metal detectors at the entry and equipping the greeters with wands for secondary inspection.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”