OR: CHL Man trying to break up fight killed by police.

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

OR: CHL Man trying to break up fight killed by police.

Post by philip964 »

https://www.opb.org/news/article/portla ... ashington/#

Gun fell from holster while trying to break up fight. May have been retrieving it when someone said “gun”.

Navy veteran, father of three. Apparently shot from behind. Witness described him as a Good Samaritan.

Not sure if related to Oregon protests. Shot by campus police.

Scott B.

Re: OR: CHL Man trying to break up fight killed by police.

Post by Scott B. »

What a rotten outcome. Guy's trying to play peacemaker, keeping his buddy out of the fight. Unfortunately, he's got a really <censored> carry system. No holster to my eye, looks like one of the clip draws (or some other minimalist retention) from the way that thing is flopping around.

Those can be 'ok' inside the waistband, but clipped to the pocket of your shorts?
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Wow. Bad situation all around. It is hard to really know what is what unless one knows all the actors and any relationships they have with other actors. It looked to me like several folks were playing tough guys. Wearing ones britches around the bottom of their butt will always make me profile a guy. I wonder what the whole thing started with?

I will say that based on that video alone those cops maybe were a bit trigger happy. But again, limited info so far.

It can get you killed trying to intervene in a brawl between others.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Very sad outcome.

Video was so chaotic it's not conclusive. Sounds like the officers saw a gun and shot the man. If Washington was in the back that could go badly in court.
PSU officials are already preparing to defend the university against a lawsuit.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Very chaotic video. Why the group and what appears to be the other aggressor in cam continued following and taunting is definitely a contributing factor to escalation and why the cops were not engaged in helping control them is bizarre to me. I think they were out of their league trying to deal with the situation, but unfortunately it appears they were quick to shoot. Have to wait and see what other info and/or video comes out. There was no audio when I viewed the video in the link.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Allons

Post by Allons »

A crappy holster and a friend who was probably on liquid courage is the reason this guy got shot. Twice that guy wrapped his arms around him and pulled him away, but he just could not let it go. His friend paid for his actions.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

That's going to be tough for the police, maybe. The victim appeared to be open carrying because of how low that thing was hanging on his pocket. One of the officers was standing right next to him while it was out there for all to see and the officer didn't seemed concerned with him at that point.

Then the video ends when the police shoot and all I could tell was that the victim had his back to the police at that time.

Hopefully, there will be more video that shows more.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I found it interesting that some of the would be combatants were exhibiting some of the behaviors which were pointed out as potentially aggressive behaviors
as discribed in a video in another post on this forum.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”