Now for something completely different

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Now for something completely different

Post by Jusme »

I told my wife that I should just take a piece of one of my canvas drop cloths, put a frame around it, and see who would be gullible enough to buy it.
They are mixed media, latex paint, joint compound, muddy foot prints etc. I have seen things in gallerys, and museums, that look worse. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 12

Post by philip964 »

Ruark wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:54 pm I've actually spent quite a bit of time around gallery artists and studied some art analysis and art history in college, but the valuation of a lot of abstract art still leaves me scratching my head.

I remember several decades ago, going through the Denver Museum of Art, a huge world class art museum with paintings and sculptures from every famous artist you ever heard of. Rembrandt, Monet, DaVinci, Dali, Picasso, Degas, Michelangelo, Van Gogh, Bierstadt, Remington, et. al.

When you first entered the museum, you stepped through some glass doors and on a wall right in front of you is a big 8-foot-square blank canvas. Absolutely blank: no frame, paint or finish on it of any kind. The name was on the little wall card. It was... are you ready.... "Blank Canvas." I kid you not.

I asked a museum staff if they'd hang up a blank canvas if I walked in with one. He said "oh, no, of course not" like it was a stupid question. "So why did you hang HIS up?" I asked. He said, "well, because he's a very famous artist." Actually, that probably was a stupid question.

I just chalked it up to another lesson in the School of Life.

You mean something like this.

This is the Rothco Chapel in Houston. It is open to the public for free after they finish the $20 million dollar renovation.

The late Mark Rothko is a famous modern artist. Many of his paintings are very colorful. He painted these and then committed suicide. He wasn’t in a colorful mood at the time.
Attachments
2FB61259-58C5-4951-8EFD-37F5A90A92E9.jpeg

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

philip964 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:10 pm
Ruark wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:54 pm I've actually spent quite a bit of time around gallery artists and studied some art analysis and art history in college, but the valuation of a lot of abstract art still leaves me scratching my head.

I remember several decades ago, going through the Denver Museum of Art, a huge world class art museum with paintings and sculptures from every famous artist you ever heard of. Rembrandt, Monet, DaVinci, Dali, Picasso, Degas, Michelangelo, Van Gogh, Bierstadt, Remington, et. al.

When you first entered the museum, you stepped through some glass doors and on a wall right in front of you is a big 8-foot-square blank canvas. Absolutely blank: no frame, paint or finish on it of any kind. The name was on the little wall card. It was... are you ready.... "Blank Canvas." I kid you not.

I asked a museum staff if they'd hang up a blank canvas if I walked in with one. He said "oh, no, of course not" like it was a stupid question. "So why did you hang HIS up?" I asked. He said, "well, because he's a very famous artist." Actually, that probably was a stupid question.

I just chalked it up to another lesson in the School of Life.

You mean something like this.

This is the Rothco Chapel in Houston. It is open to the public for free after they finish the $20 million dollar renovation.

The late Mark Rothko is a famous modern artist. Many of his paintings are very colorful. He painted these and then committed suicide. He wasn’t in a colorful mood at the time.
Darwin?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

OK, I'll agree that the Rothko paintings are a trifle...monochromatic. But it's worth going to the chapel to see the Broken Obelisk statue outside, in a nice reflecting pool.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I am starting to think we have a few liberal snowflakes hiding on this forum. :biggrinjester:

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:29 am I am starting to think we have a few liberal snowflakes hiding on this forum. :biggrinjester:
If you look carefully at the Rothco chapel paintings they are not just black paint. There is careful texturing overlaid with interesting brush work by the artist. The color is not just black, but a complex series of dark color on top of dark color.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.thepeakmagazine.com.sg/life ... rket-asia/

Gerhard Richter abstract sells for 27 million. Painting of his owned by Eric Clapton sold for 32 million.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... christie-s

Another Basquait “Halloween” painting sells for nearly $100 million.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Porsche with MP5 factory door pocket accessory?

Only available in Germany.

Geez, its an automatic.
Attachments
2590CE84-3087-443C-80A8-E339FDC8EE5A.jpeg

seph

Post by seph »

philip964 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:21 am Porsche with MP5 factory door pocket accessory?

Geez, its an automatic.
Wow. Law enforcement in Germany using big scary guns? I'm shocked! :oops:
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I first saw a West German motorad Polizei in 1978. Looked like this guy and had a submachinegun on his back. Passed me on the autobahn as if I were standing still.

O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Mel

Post by Mel »

philip964 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:21 am Porsche with MP5 factory door pocket accessory?
Geez, its an automatic.
And so is the car!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”