Paul Manafort Trial

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 7

Paul Manafort Trial

Post by philip964 »

https://lawandcrime.com/awkward/judge-e ... -screw-up/

It appears this trial may get interesting.

Judge loses all patience with prosecutors and ends court early over major mistake.

Potentially a judge Trump should consider for Supreme Court after Ginsburg retires.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/ar ... arp-tongue

Judge Ellis in Manafort trial has a sharp wit and sharp tongue.

"The government doesn't want to prosecute somebody because they wear nice clothes, do they?" Ellis asked. "Let's move on."

Trump has both praised the judge and criticized him.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Paul Manafort Trial

Post by OneGun »

The whole purpose of this trial is try and force Manafort to sing about Trump. The risk is that the prosecution may also be composing the song. This trial has nothing to do about Russia or the 2016 election.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

flechero
Posts in topic: 8

Post by flechero »

True- never was about anything relevant to muller's "investigation".

Trump should tell muller to stick it and pardon everyone he indicts :lol:

rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rotor »

flechero wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:02 pm True- never was about anything relevant to muller's "investigation".

Trump should tell muller to stick it and pardon everyone he indicts :lol:
This does not have anything to do with Trump, I agree. But if we find out that Manafort is a tax cheat I don't think he should be pardoned. Manafort should be treated as a tax cheat the same as you or I would be treated. I don't know if he is a cheat or not but let's see what happens.

flechero

Post by flechero »

The suggestion has been that they will ask him to "sing" something they feed him about trump, not something trump actually did. For that reason, I think the whole thing is bogus.

He should have to repay any taxes he didn't pay [no more, no less] but to use this to get to a President is well beyond decent, fair or right. So I wouldn't have a problem if he was pardoned even of the taxes since he's paid a price (as has his family) for someone else's thirst to "get" a sitting President.

I wouldn't agree with these tactics, even if clinton was the focus of the hatchet job.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

And it 'is' a hatchet job.

He's been criticized for living a luxurious life style and has nice clothes.

Yeah buddy, those are reasonable reasons for going after him.

Anti-Trump fanatics at work...

rotor

Post by rotor »

Just to play devil's advocate though...
Mueller in his investigation of Manafort finds that he has not paid millions in taxes by fraudulently hiding overseas accounts....
Mueller proceeds with trial of Manafort as it appears that Manafort is a downright crook...

Someone here think that Manafort should not be prosecuted if he tried to defraud the government out of millions?? His last name isn't Clinton but if this guy is a crook he should go to jail. So should Hillary.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

rotor wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:11 pm Just to play devil's advocate though...
Mueller in his investigation of Manafort finds that he has not paid millions in taxes by fraudulently hiding overseas accounts....
Mueller proceeds with trial of Manafort as it appears that Manafort is a downright crook...

Someone here think that Manafort should not be prosecuted if he tried to defraud the government out of millions?? His last name isn't Clinton but if this guy is a crook he should go to jail. So should Hillary.
Manafort should call Rod Rosenstein as a defense witness since it was Rosenstein who originally investigated Manafort and declined to prosecute.

stroo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stroo »

The charges against Mana fort were extensively investigated by the Virginia US AG. He decided not to prosecute. Now Mueller decides to prosecute the same charges using the same evidence. This is all about getting Trump, not justice.

rotor

Post by rotor »

If you guys are correct than Manafort will be found not guilty.

Allons

Post by Allons »

rotor wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:02 pm If you guys are correct than Manafort will be found not guilty.
Depends on who's on the jury. As far as the press is concerned he is guilty until proven innocent. I think that the jury will be more blue than red, and convicting Manafort would be a loss in the libs eyes, you know, with all this winning going on.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

flechero

Post by flechero »

I don't disagree if he's actually investigated and tried on the merits of his action only... However, muller should refer things outside his scope. At this point the credibility is lost because it's obvious that muller is desperate to get anyone, for anything right now.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Hiding money overseas to avoid taxes.... kind of like all the Kennedy's! :shock: And The Southern Poverty Law Center!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

rotor

Post by rotor »

flechero wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:27 pm

I don't disagree if he's actually investigated and tried on the merits of his action only... However, muller should refer things outside his scope. At this point the credibility is lost because it's obvious that muller is desperate to get anyone, for anything right now.
From what I have seen Manafort looks like a tax evader but I may be wrong. Mueller turns up stuff against Manafort while investigating Trump (I believe the whole Trump part is a waste of time) so what is he supposed to do, drop it? If Manafort is a crook then get him. I have no problem with him getting all of the crooks that he turns up including HRC.

stroo

Post by stroo »

You do know that all of us would be found guilty of something if a prosecutor like Mueller took a fine toothed investigatory comb to our lives, probably things that we didn't even know were illegal. I have always thought that Manafort was a sleasebag, but he was only investigated because of his relationship to Trump and the hope that they could turn him.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”