Millenial Anti-Theft Device

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Millenial Anti-Theft Device

Post by ELB »

You've seen this?

Whelp:
Two Teens Charged with Attempted Carjackings in Green Hills

8/2/2018

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Midtown Hills Precinct officers last night arrested two teens, ages 15 and 17, who attempted to carjack two women’s vehicles in separate incidents.

The teens approached the first victim at 6:20 p.m. She was sitting inside her car in the Hill Center parking garage in the 4000 block of Hillsboro Pike. The suspects ran up to her vehicle, one on each side, and opened doors on the driver and passenger side. They yelled for her to get out of her vehicle. As they attempted to pull her from the vehicle, she screamed and held down her car horn. The teens fled on foot. The victim sustained minor injuries but refused treatment.

Approximately one hour later, a woman parked her car in the Kroger parking lot, 2201 21st Avenue South, and as she walked toward the store, one of the teens grabbed the keys out of her hand. Both got inside the victim’s vehicle. After a few seconds, they exited the car and fled on foot, apparently unable to drive a manual transmission.

A short time later, officers spotted both teens in the area and took them into custody. They were positively identified as the young men involved in both incidents. The teens are each charged in Juvenile Court with attempted robbery/carjacking, theft of property, and attempted theft of a vehicle.

###

https://www.nashville.gov/News-Media/Ne ... Hills.aspx
USAF 1982-2005

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Millenial Anti-Theft Device

Post by OneGun »

Millenials lack skills if its not on their smart phone .....
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Pawpaw »

I recently went through the full monty, teaching my now 19-year-old grandson to drive.

Once he got his learner's permit, I taught him to drive my pickup (Dodge diesel automatic). During that process, he found a car he just had to have (Saturn SC2 5-speed). The car sat in our driveway while I finished teaching him to drive an automatic. He finally took the test in my pickup and got his driver's license. Then we could insure and register his car and the fun began.

Teaching him to drive a stick was certainly an experience. :eek6 I had fairly well forgotten how hard it is when you're just starting to learn. He never thought he'd be able to handle the multi-tasking that is required. When I'd tell him that it would all become second nature and require very little conscious thought, he would look at me like I had three heads. :lol:

We both survived the adventure and he's pretty good at it now.

Now he just laughs when I refer to his "Millenial Anti-Theft Device".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

flechero

Post by flechero »

Pure greatness!

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

If you have a three speed on the column, might as well leave the keys in it. 20 years ago in high school, my friends couldn't drive my truck.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Jnazee

Post by Jnazee »

"rlol"

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Reminds me of the first time I drove a right hand drive 1978 Porsche Sportomatic. Talk about brain bender. Driving on the wrong side of the car. Shifting with the left hand and no clutch pedal, the clutch was built into the shift lever.

:headscratch
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

The good ole' days. I learned to drive with a three speed on the column. The car was a chevrolet bellaire. Not sure about the year model but i think it was a 1957 lite blue with white trim with all black radial bias tires, no seat belts and i used my hand as a turn signal.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

15 and 17 aren't even really mellinials, they are whatever comes next. I'm technically a mellinial but I don't see myself as acting entitled and ignorant of the way the world works. I was on the very front end of the mellinials though. Also I drive a standard almost every day.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

I drive a fuel taker for a living, company I work for just bought me a new truck and trailer. Yes you guessed it the truck is an automatic. I found out there is a CDL now with an automatic trans endorsement only. More and more people can’t drive a standard, it is sad. :totap:
Truth against the world

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I worked for a Construction Co. that had an old 54 dump truck we used for trash. We hired a new CDL driver and I showed him the trucks. I told him the old truck was fine for the short trips to the dump but you sometimes had to double clutch her to get 3rd. He looked puzzled and asked what a clutch was.

mescobar_rpls

Post by mescobar_rpls »

It is impeccable timing that this subject has come up. Just last week, I was instructed to teach my department (6) to drive a manual transmission.

So my company has one truck with a manual transmission. The owner asked one of my guys to pick up supplies and the only truck was, you guessed it, the only one that has a manual transmission. Well, he could not drive it.

The funny part is word of my driving class got around the company and other department heads came to me and asked is their employees could take part. So after a quick survey, we found that all but one employee under 26 could not drive a manual transmission. In all around a quarter of the company will be attending.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

What? They didn't goooogle how to drive a stick as they were stealing it?

Maybe there was no free wifi so they couldn't.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Pawpaw »

When I was in the Air Force, a very good friend was complaining that his wife wanted to learn to drive his '60-something Mustang with a 289. Every attempt ended in a fight.

I told him I could teach her in my '82 Dodge van (short wheelbase with a 225 six cylinder stick). That heavy vehicle with a long-stroking six was very easy to learn.

With just her and I in the van, it only took about 15 minutes to get her going. We spent the next 30 minutes cruising around Kelley AFB. Halfway through, she looked at me with a big grin and declared, "This is fun!"

The next time I saw my friend he was complaining that he couldn't get the Mustang away from her. :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

This thread takes me back. I actually taught myself to drive a standard shift. No one in my family had a standard shift vehicle, so my experience until I was 15( I had a Texas Hardship license) was all automatic. The football coach, in my small town, had a 68 Chevelle. My sophomore year, I was the team manager, and he told me to take his car to get supplies, i.e. Styrofoam cups, etc. I jumped in his car, reached up and turned the key, and the car lurched forward. It had a three on the tree. I had a working knowledge of how the gears worked, but no actual, hands on, experience. But I managed, to drive it the eight blocks and back. I took his car on many such trips to pick up things, and became more proficient, with each trip. My first vehicle, was a 74 Chevy 3/4 ton with a four speed, and by then, I was a pro. In fact, I had to teach my younger sister how to drive it. When my kids got old enough, to drive, I made sure they got some time driving a standard, but none of them wanted one of their own. :headscratch
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “The Crime Blotter”