MD: Father shoots home invaders who turn out to be police

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

MD: Father shoots home invaders who turn out to be police

Post by ELB »

Father Shot 2 Officers Who Mistakenly Served Warrant at His Home

A confidential informant told police a drug dealer lived there, but the resident was actually a father who didn't know officers were trying to get in his home, Prince George's County Police Chief Hank Stawinski said during a news conference Thursday.

The team knocked on the door of the top-level unit and announced they were there, but no one answered. Despite the silence, the team had a feeling someone might be inside the apartment, so they used a device to open the door.

... Police say the man fired a single shot when the door opened, striking two officers.

"As that door now opens, he realizes that those are police officers. He immediately drops that weapon. He immediately goes to the window and starts communicating, 'You've got the wrong address. Don't shoot my daughter,'" Stawinski said.

Another officer returned fire, but no one was hit.

One officer has been treated and released and another is still undergoing treatment for injuries to their arm and face, police said.

Stawinski said no charges would be filed against the man who shot the officers.

"The investigation corroborates his account that he did not know that there were police officers trying to enter his residence. I believe that and I know that to be true," Stawinski said.

Stawinski also said detectives who worked the case might be disciplined.

"I am not satisfied that we had done enough to corroborate the information we had in the obtaining of that search warrant," he said.
More at the link.
USAF 1982-2005

RoyGBiv

Re: MD: Father shoots home invaders who turn out to be police

Post by RoyGBiv »

terrifying all around.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

well, good! I'm glad they've admitted they were in the wrong!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Thank goodness the innocent inhabitants of the incorrectly identified apartment were not killed or injured. The confidential informant should be charged with assault for his actions causing police officers to be shot.

It's way past time for the failed "war on drugs" by militarized police to end.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

So, if I tell the police a drug dealer lives, at 1234 West East Blvd, They will get a search warrant, knock down the door, and go in? Doesn't there need to be some additional evidence, like an actual drug buy? Or maybe video surveillance, of the suspect? Something.

When I was a LEO, an informant's word, was not nearly enough, undercover officers, may work months on a case, and still not get enough credible evidence to get a search warrant.

Yeah, I would say, their policies need some revision. Glad, no one was killed.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I know no one is perfect and mistakes happen. However, this is the type of mistake I think should never happen. I bet much more effort will be put into verifying their informants info in the future.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I heard there is a woman masquerading as a Congressman in Maxine Water's office. Send SWAT!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

OneGun wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 pm I heard there is a woman masquerading as a Congressman in Maxine Water's office. Send SWAT!

"rlol" "rlol"
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Who ever the coward Officer is that opened fire ,after communication was initiated by the Father, should be tried for attempted murder. Then maybe some of this crap would stop.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Someone signed the warrant. Either he was given false information or he issued a warrant illegally.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

philip964

Post by philip964 »

From reading the short description, I figured a shotgun. Reading the article confirmed it.

I'm feeling sorry for the officer who got the brunt of the blast. He is very lucky to be alive.

I wish they didn't do this stuff, its dangerous for everyone.

The homeowner after firing at police dropped his weapon. That was very brave.

He is also very lucky to be alive as well.

Alf

Post by Alf »

ELB wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 am Stawinski also said detectives who worked the case might be disciplined.

"I am not satisfied that we had done enough to corroborate the information we had in the obtaining of that search warrant," he said.
Disciplined? How about prosecuted for criminal negligence that resulted in two cops getting shot?

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

The war on drugs as to come to an end, it's a failed venture and gets so many innocents and cops hurt, maimed, or killed. Should they stop arresting drug dealers? No. Should they have better info on a suspected dealer before knocking down doors? Absolutely. I've read so many stories and personally known people who this kinda thing happened to. Many times there is no knock and announce, they "no knock" and just kick the door in like a squad of troops clearing a building in some 3rd world crap box. And many times it ends up like this, either the cops are wounded or the innocent tenant/homeowner is wounded or killed because it was the wrong house and who wouldn't shoot at an unknown person kicking down the door in the middle of the day/night.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”