IL:Security Guard holding bar shooter on ground shot and killed by police by accident

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

IL:Security Guard holding bar shooter on ground shot and killed by police by accident

Post by philip964 »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cop-accident ... Dv5Wy6llDM

Bar patron returned with a gun and began shooting. Armed security guard engaged shooter wounding him. He was holding him on the ground with his knee to his back. He called for police assistance, when they arrived an officer mistook him for the BG shooter and shot and killed him.

Worst fear.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IL:Security Guard holding bar shooter on ground shot and killed by police by accident

Post by Beiruty »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Paladin

Re: IL:Security Guard holding bar shooter on ground shot and killed by police by accident

Post by Paladin »

Ugh
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

That is not good......for at least two people.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

As bad as that is and I hate to say it, but that officer will probably not be held legally responsible for killing an innocent person. Who knows what's going on in his head now?

Sure does make the case for knowing what the situation is before blasting away.

This might be a worst case outcome. The officer might be messed up in the head and the security guard (good guy) is dead and unless the bad guy actually hurt someone might not even spend much time in jail. I'm certain he won't care about the security guard or officer. However, can he be held responsible for the security guards death?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

...and this type tragic scenario is one example where many with LTC's don't care to get involved with their firearm to be a rescuer because one may be mistaken for the bad guy by L.E. and be shot, so declare they'd just be a good witness...

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

C-dub wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:38 am As bad as that is and I hate to say it, but that officer will probably not be held legally responsible for killing an innocent person. Who knows what's going on in his head now?

{snip}
There is always the civil suit lurking in the background.

Gator Guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Gator Guy »

Oldgringo wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:07 am There is always the civil suit lurking in the background.
Not for the killer. Maybe for innocent taxpayers but not for the killer.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

Noggin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Noggin »

I am surprised nobody has pointed out that had the security guard shot the BG rather than tried to detain him he could then have holstered or laid down his weapon before LEO appeared, in which case he would probably still be alive. Therefore if the situation does permit the use of lethal force maybe you should not hesitate. We LTCs are not LEOs it is not our function to enforce the law or to arrest people, therefore we are potentially a greater threat to the lives of BGs than LEOs are.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WTR »

Noggin wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:28 pm I am surprised nobody has pointed out that had the security guard shot the BG rather than tried to detain him he could then have holstered or laid down his weapon before LEO appeared, in which case he would probably still be alive. Therefore if the situation does permit the use of lethal force maybe you should not hesitate. We LTCs are not LEOs it is not our function to enforce the law or to arrest people, therefore we are potentially a greater threat to the lives of BGs than LEOs are.
We know none of the facts of the shooting and detainment by the Security Guard. Keeping his weapon at the ready may have been warranted.

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Maxwell »

Noggin wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:28 pm I am surprised nobody has pointed out that had the security guard shot the BG rather than tried to detain him he could then have holstered or laid down his weapon before LEO appeared, in which case he would probably still be alive. Therefore if the situation does permit the use of lethal force maybe you should not hesitate.

So the "Kill 'em all and let God sort it out" mentality?
Noggin wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:28 pmWe LTCs are not LEOs it is not our function to enforce the law or to arrest people, therefore we are potentially a greater threat to the lives of BGs than LEOs are.

Wow! just... Wow!
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

He was not the average CHL holder, he was a SECURITY GUARD with additional responsibilities. Obviously he was not a sheep.

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

unless the bad guy actually hurt someone might not even spend much time in jail
Illinois has a felony murder rule - it says something like, if someone is killed during the commission of a felony, the felon can be charged with murder even if he didn't do the actual killing - is it possible it could apply to the bad guy in this case?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Would killing the S.G. be a felony or just a 'whoopsie, sorry about that'?.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I think RSX was referring to the bad guy committing a felony which lead to the SC being killed. Thus, a felony resulting in the death of a person.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”