IL:Security Guard holding bar shooter on ground shot and killed by police by accident

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Re: IL:Security Guard holding bar shooter on ground shot and killed by police by accident

Post by philip964 »

https://wgntv.com/2018/11/11/multiple-w ... olice-say/

Here is another version from WGN.

The headline emphasizes that the Security Guard was armed when he was shot by police. Points out no concealed carry permit. ( don’t security guards open carry )

Also points to racial overtone.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 6

Re: IL:Security Guard holding bar shooter on ground shot and killed by police by accident

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Also points to racial overtone.
I actually wondered about that one.

orangetx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by orangetx »

To me, being a black man with an LTC this is a scary thing I do think about and fear happening if I am in need to protect my person.
But I am sure the responding LEO had a 911 call from someone there about what was going on, and who to look out for.
But this isn't the 1st time the PD have come on the scene and open fired to only ask questions later. I recall that one man who ran an intruder out his house and was shot dead in his own yard.
Call it what you want, but this story just keeps adding fuel to the fire that LEO are getting real trigger happy.
Who’s interrupting my Kung Fu?!

03Lightningrocks

orangetx wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:02 pm
Call it what you want, but this story just keeps adding fuel to the fire that LEO are getting real trigger happy.
Especially in Chicago area.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Since I have left my previous employment and I now work as an Armed Security Guard my question is 1. Was the Security Guard in a uniform? In Texas you have to be in a uniform that clearly shows you are a Security Guard, you side arm is openly carried!
2. Who called the L.E.? Security Guard or bystander? This whole thing stinks!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I was taught that the only reason for a CHL to draw his or her weapon is to fire it immediately. This is one of the hundreds of bad outcomes associated with trying to be a junior LEO. They have vast advantages in backup, arms, public perception, and legal recourse and possibly also training. We have only a small pistol, maybe one backup mag, maybe the element if surprise, and the presumption that we feared for our own life or the lives of others. We cannot afford to give up ANY of those resources, and if we give any of them up, it's often a disaster for us.

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MaduroBU wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:43 pm I was taught that the only reason for a CHL to draw his or her weapon is to fire it immediately. This is one of the hundreds of bad outcomes associated with trying to be a junior LEO. They have vast advantages in backup, arms, public perception, and legal recourse and possibly also training. We have only a small pistol, maybe one backup mag, maybe the element if surprise, and the presumption that we feared for our own life or the lives of others. We cannot afford to give up ANY of those resources, and if we give any of them up, it's often a disaster for us.
:iagree: I tried to make a similar point earlier which another poster did not seem to approve of.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

RSX11 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:03 pmIllinois has a felony murder rule - it says something like, if someone is killed during the commission of a felony, the felon can be charged with murder even if he didn't do the actual killing - is it possible it could apply to the bad guy in this case?
I do not know Illinois law but I was thinking the same thing. In Texas it definitely does apply.
Steve Rothstein

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

Right, I was being vaguely sarcastic...too vague...

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Noggin wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:23 pm
MaduroBU wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:43 pm I was taught that the only reason for a CHL to draw his or her weapon is to fire it immediately. This is one of the hundreds of bad outcomes associated with trying to be a junior LEO. They have vast advantages in backup, arms, public perception, and legal recourse and possibly also training. We have only a small pistol, maybe one backup mag, maybe the element if surprise, and the presumption that we feared for our own life or the lives of others. We cannot afford to give up ANY of those resources, and if we give any of them up, it's often a disaster for us.
:iagree: I tried to make a similar point earlier which another poster did not seem to approve of.
The security guard was paid armed security and was wearing gear and a shirt with SECURITY on it. That’s not a LTC playing junior LEO.
Last edited by WTR on Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

Gator Guy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:14 am
Oldgringo wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:07 am There is always the civil suit lurking in the background.
Not for the killer. Maybe for innocent taxpayers but not for the killer.
Nope! The SG's family is going to sue the city, the shooter and everybody standing around making movies with their smartphones. Wouldn't yours?

Granted, the city may bear some of the burdens of defending the Popo.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Well, after reading the news stories, I'm going to guess that the city is going to pay up in an out-of-court settlement that will result in one or two people losing their jobs. Terrible business all around, feel bad for the security guard and his family.

Allons

Post by Allons »

Coming up on a scene with people still around and a guy subdued with a knee in his back and a gun drawn on him would not make me pull out a gun and shoot first.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Allons wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:57 pm Coming up on a scene with people still around and a guy subdued with a knee in his back and a gun drawn on him would not make me pull out a gun and shoot first.
There are also reports that people were shouting that the deceased was Security. I think we have a tragic mistake made by an Officer who has never learned to ID your target before pulling the trigger.

03Lightningrocks

WTR wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:03 pm There are also reports that people were shouting that the deceased was Security. I think we have a tragic mistake made by an Officer who has never learned to ID your target before pulling the trigger.
I read that also and my first thought was of how people screaming "He is a security guard" may have confused the cop. Maybe the cop thought the guy on the ground was the security guard and the guy with his knee on him was about to shoot the security guard. Using a non descriptor word like "He" can cause a serious misunderstanding in a situation like that. The cop may have thought he needed to act fast to save the security guards life.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”