2 men and 8 juviniles arrested for string of robberies around UH

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 4

2 men and 8 juviniles arrested for string of robberies around UH

Post by Odinvalknir »

I heard about this story this morning while listening to Michael Berry. And I thought I would pose a question here, apparently in at least two of the robberies the kids involved used a fake handgun to hold up their victims. If faced with this kind of attack what would be your reaction? Whether or not you can tell they were juveniles and whether or not you could tell the handgun they pointed at you was fake, would you draw down and stop someone if they pointed a gun at you?

https://www.click2houston.com/news/2-me ... ries-at-uh

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Re: 2 men and 8 juviniles arrested for string of robberies around UH

Post by Odinvalknir »

Edit: I miss read the story, The firearm supposedly used was a semi-automatic style long gun. The cops have determined the gun to have been a fake.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

OP. A gang of thugs sporting prison tats surrounds you after dark and demands your property at gunpoint. What are your first thoughts?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philip964 »

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:36 am OP. A gang of thugs sporting prison tats surrounds you after dark and demands your property at gunpoint. What are your first thoughts?
Keep calm, comply, look for opportunity to resist and fight back. Especially since if I'm out at all, day or night I have either one or more of my kids, or wife with me. Their protection is number 1, I have insurance on my vehicle, but if I'm threatened with a firearm, real or not I will retaliate. Not every bad guy has prison tattoos, if any group of any type people surround me, I will go to fight/flight mode.

Keep calm, comply, look for space/opportunity to react.

I won't shoot someone to save my vehicle, I would however if some pulled a weapon, or if they're taking my vehicle and my children or wife are in said vehicle.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Thanks for responding. It seems as though lately these attacks are involving groups of 4 or more perpetrators. My first thought is do I possess sufficient capacity to service all of them effectively?
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:05 pm Thanks for responding. It seems as though lately these attacks are involving groups of 4 or more perpetrators. My first thought is do I possess sufficient capacity to service all of them effectively?
That thought is what has me mostly carrying my full size, 17-round or compact 15-round 9mm M&P instead of my 8-round Shield.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rotor

Post by rotor »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:05 pm Thanks for responding. It seems as though lately these attacks are involving groups of 4 or more perpetrators. My first thought is do I possess sufficient capacity to service all of them effectively?
Agree. But if I had the capacity I would defend myself and I don't care if it is a juvenile or a possible fake gun. If you think about it a juvenile is more likely to shoot you because they believe they will go to juvenile court and get off free. If cops shoot kids with toy guns thinking they are real how am I supposed to know what is real?

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

bblhd672 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:40 pm
That thought is what has me mostly carrying my full size, 17-round or compact 15-round 9mm M&P instead of my 8-round Shield.
I also carry a compact M&P. its a 1st gen that was lucky enough to be made with the upgraded trigger. I bought a +3 mag extension for it, more for the extra grip length than the extra rounds, but more bullets is always good too. my m&p 9c has 15+1 capacity now.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

rotor wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:23 pm
Agree. But if I had the capacity I would defend myself and I don't care if it is a juvenile or a possible fake gun. If you think about it a juvenile is more likely to shoot you because they believe they will go to juvenile court and get off free. If cops shoot kids with toy guns thinking they are real how am I supposed to know what is real?
Agreed. Remember this one?:

The victims lack of situational awareness is astounding!
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Bitterclinger: No, you don't have enough rounds in your Glock 43. Add a BUG, or carry your XDM.
:-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Odinvalknir wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 pm
bblhd672 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:40 pm
I also carry a compact M&P. its a 1st gen that was lucky enough to be made with the upgraded trigger. I bought a +3 mag extension for it, more for the extra grip length than the extra rounds, but more bullets is always good too. my m&p 9c has 15+1 capacity now.
My EDC basic load is 49 for my M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch, with a Ruger LCR .38 as backup. I carry the LCR simply because it was available. My wife replaced it as her EDC with a Walther PPS M2 LE.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:54 am Bitterclinger: No, you don't have enough rounds in your Glock 43. Add a BUG, or carry your XDM.
:-)

SIA
A better solution, the G43 12 round mag by ETS:Image
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

You Glock fanboys have all the answers!

Isn't there a 50 round drum mag for that?

I'm sure that would not print. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Has anybody asked Sheila Jackson Lee about her thoughts and suggestions on these instances?

Return to “The Crime Blotter”