5 Officers Shot In Houston - Pray

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

philip964
Posts in topic: 125

Re: 5 Officers Shot In Houston - Pray

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/inve ... tched-raid

Internal affairs detective, who was first to receive a call on an officer involved shooting at the raid, has been relieved of duty.

Really does not say why.

PBR
Posts in topic: 6

Post by PBR »

Wondering if they hoping this just slowly dies away or what is going on. Thought they said would be reports within 2 wks or some group were to release more info.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

WildBill
Posts in topic: 81

Post by WildBill »

philip964 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:41 am https://www.click2houston.com/news/inve ... tched-raid

Internal affairs detective, who was first to receive a call on an officer involved shooting at the raid, has been relieved of duty.

Really does not say why.
That happened on March 13, but we are just hearing about it.
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Jusme »

I believe that a bill should be introduced, in the legislature, that mandates, that no law enforcement agency, in Texas, can do it's own internal affairs investigation, in any officer involved shooting, or death of a person in custody. They can still handle citizen complaints, departmental rules violations etc. But I would recommend that for each city PD case, the County Sheriff handle the investigation, for each County case, the DPS/ Texas Rangers, and for each DPS/ Ranger/ Game Warden, that the SO of the county in which it occurs, head up the investigation.
Investigation of your own officers, is more often than not, very above board, however, the specter of a cover up, looms large, and destroys the confidence of the public, that department is duty bound to serve.
JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Jusme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:30 pm I believe that a bill should be introduced, in the legislature, that mandates, that no law enforcement agency, in Texas, can do it's own internal affairs investigation, in any officer involved shooting, or death of a person in custody ...
Jusme, I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think that this would work. I have no idea how many cases there are every year in Texas, but I would think it would be too cumbersome and inefficient. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

WildBill wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:17 pm
Jusme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:30 pm I believe that a bill should be introduced, in the legislature, that mandates, that no law enforcement agency, in Texas, can do it's own internal affairs investigation, in any officer involved shooting, or death of a person in custody ...
Jusme, I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think that this would work. I have no idea how many cases there are every year in Texas, but I would think it would be too cumbersome and inefficient. :tiphat:

I don't know how many there are either, but each one has to be investigated. Either, by the department in which it occurred, or by another agency, such as the Texas Rangers. This case in Houston, is a perfect example. There is such a prevailing sense, of corruption, ineptness, etc, that, any internal investigation, will be viewed, as a potential cover up.
One other option, could be one independent agency, to investigate all cases, but, I think that would become too political, and would only increase the size of government, and add another layer, of law enforcement, not needed. As I said, most internal investigations, are done well, and above board, but there are some that, at least outwardly, smell a little fishy. JMHO

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Jusme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:44 pm
WildBill wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:17 pm

I don't know how many there are either, but each one has to be investigated. Either, by the department in which it occurred, or by another agency, such as the Texas Rangers. This case in Houston, is a perfect example. There is such a prevailing sense, of corruption, ineptness, etc, that, any internal investigation, will be viewed, as a potential cover up.
One other option, could be one independent agency, to investigate all cases, but, I think that would become too political, and would only increase the size of government, and add another layer, of law enforcement, not needed. As I said, most internal investigations, are done well, and above board, but there are some that, at least outwardly, smell a little fishy. JMHO
:iagree: I think this case will lead to investigations that will uncover a lot more problems.
Hopefully, positive changes will come as a result of these investigations.
NRA Endowment Member

Paladin
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:24 pm https://www.click2houston.com/news/2nd- ... orney-says

Officer at center of investigation retires.
In 2002, Goines was in trouble for keeping crack cocaine he’d purchased in a drug buy. The evidence was found unlogged in the toolbox of his city vehicle.

That particular problem persisted, because drugs were also found in Goines' city vehicle after the botched raid in January.
It would appear that Goines had a habit of keeping unlogged narcotics on hand. Unlogged narcotics have been used by other police departments to manufacture crimes
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Paladin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:43 pm
philip964 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:24 pm https://www.click2houston.com/news/2nd- ... orney-says

Officer at center of investigation retires.
In 2002, Goines was in trouble for keeping crack cocaine he’d purchased in a drug buy. The evidence was found unlogged in the toolbox of his city vehicle.

That particular problem persisted, because drugs were also found in Goines' city vehicle after the botched raid in January.
It would appear that Goines had a habit of keeping unlogged narcotics on hand. Unlogged narcotics have been used by other police departments to manufacture crimes

Yeah unlogged narcotics could accidentally get dropped, contaminating a crime scene.

philip964
Posts in topic: 125

Post by philip964 »

jordanmills
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jordanmills »

philip964 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:03 pm https://www.click2houston.com/news/inve ... -dismissed

More cases dismissed.
Sad thing is that 90% of these cases probably are scumbags who need to be in prison. But you can't trust the evidence and the only just course of action is to dismiss, because an even bigger scumbag was wearing a badge.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Jusme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:30 pmI believe ... Investigation of your own officers, is more often than not, very above board, ... JMHO
I believe you are assuming facts not in evidence.

warpdrive
Posts in topic: 2

Post by warpdrive »

warnmar10 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:13 pm
Jusme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:30 pmI believe ... Investigation of your own officers, is more often than not, very above board, ... JMHO
I believe you are assuming facts not in evidence.
Maybe the government should eliminate IRS audits. More often than not tax returns are very above board.
186,000 miles per second
It's not just a good idea, it's the law.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

warpdrive wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:40 pmMaybe the government should eliminate IRS audits. More often than not tax returns are very above board.
I check my return thoroughly before submission so no need to audit.

warpdrive
Posts in topic: 2

Post by warpdrive »

warnmar10 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:46 pm
warpdrive wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:40 pmMaybe the government should eliminate IRS audits. More often than not tax returns are very above board.
I check my return thoroughly before submission so no need to audit.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
186,000 miles per second
It's not just a good idea, it's the law.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”