Feds: ATF source of used firearms, parts

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Feds: ATF source of used firearms, parts

Post by ELB »

The ATF maintains a facility for destroying firearms near Martinsburg WVa. They destroy firearms used in crimes, and also ATF firearms that are no longer used in service, e.g. when they switched from Sigs to some other model all the Sigs were sent to this facility and were destroyed. Well, supposedly destroyed.

A contract security guard who worked at the facility for 16 years took at least 3000 Glock slides, 40-50 semi-autos (or maybe 80), another 30 revolvers (that apparently were of a type used by ATF in the past),k some number of rifles, "bulk ammunition", NFA weapons, scopes, magazines and other firearms parts. The gummint says it recovered more than 4,000 firearms related items that he filched, but after reading through the news stories it appears that may not cover everything he took -- there may still be firearms and parts out there floating around.

His hobby came to light when the police recovered a "destroyed" glock slide during a traffic stop:
The federal investigation began in February after the Philadelphia Police Department recovered a firearm described as a “ghost gun” during a traffic stop, according to testimony by ATF Special Agent Seth Cox on Wednesday and court records.

The type of gun is also known as a Polymer 80 percent receiver, according to court records.

The slide on the firearm was from a Glock .40 handgun. The slide was traced by serial number back to the ATF facility as having been destroyed by the ATF, according to Cox and court records.
[groan]

Not clear from the news stories or his agreement with the US Attorney exactly how long he was moonlighting as used arms dealer, but at least from 2016 to 2019. Given the volume, I would guess much longer. And nobody noticed. The internal controls at the ATF facility must have been … non-existent.

News article: https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/tr ... 5f74a.html

Copy of the defendant's agreement with the US Attorney: https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... 72.0_1.pdf

I'm sure this is the NRA's fault somehow.

And Trump's.
USAF 1982-2005

Lena

Re: Feds: ATF source of used firearms, parts

Post by Lena »

We had a S&W 29 4" with the best grips I ever saw period I tried when the ATF came to pick up firearms from the property room to politely ask if I could exchange them NO WAY not even the screw if I needed it could be changed! I even had bought a pair of grips to take to work to do this. NO WAY!
Stay Safe

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

This reminds me of another place with a zero tolerance policy.

Some years ago, a guy my friend knew had a high paying job at an aircraft assembly plant in Fort Worth.
The zero tolerance policy said nothing could be removed from the plant.

One day, this guy had some sort of project at home. He put a handful of company fasteners in his lunchbox.
Security searched it on the way out. He was fired on the spot. Goodbye high paying job.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I'm sorry but the destruction of hundreds of thousands of firearms paid for by my tax dollars just makes me mad, they should resale them and recoup our money!😠
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Re: the ATF issued stuff;
So municipal, county, and state law enforcement departments can bulk sell their obsolete/superceded firearms through Bud's Gunshop and elsewhere, but the Feds have to SPEND MORE money destroying stuff that's readily available elsewhere? What's wrong with the logic and financials of this picture.......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “The Crime Blotter”