Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

Post Reply

Topic author
Aggie_engr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: The Woodlands, TX

Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#1

Post by Aggie_engr » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:41 am

The thread about road rage in Austin prompted me to post this here. According to the article, the alleged suspect had a LTC which has since been revoked.
Shawn Paul Corriston, 46, of Spring, is being charged with disorderly conduct by displaying a firearm, a Class B misdemeanor. A Pct. 2 deputy was dispatched around 7 p.m. to I-45 southbound from FM 1097 about a motorist in a metallic colored Jeep pointing a black Glock-style handgun at a driver and his family during a road rage incident, according to the Precinct 1 Constable's Office.

Subsequently, Corriston's license to carry has been suspended, Precinct 2 stated.
https://www.yourconroenews.com/neighbor ... 029326.php


K.Mooneyham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Vernon, Texas

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#2

Post by K.Mooneyham » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 am

speedygonzo1978 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:27 am
I saw the news about this and I happen to live 2 miles from this intersection. Pretty scary stuff. But man the LTC holder was definitely out of line.
How do we know the LTC-holder actually did that? Maybe the other vehicle really did cut him off and almost cause him to crash. Maybe he shook his fist at them or made a foul gesture they found offensive. Saying it's a "man with a gun" is almost a no-brainer in Texas because so many people are armed, and it's an easy way to get someone in trouble. I've seen a lot of people drive pretty dangerously on packed highways, as I'm sure you have, too.

Then again, maybe he did do it...but it's really one word against the other, unless there is video or photographic evidence.

BTW, I'm not condoning bad or dangerous behavior; just proposing the other side of things. LTCers gave the lowest incidence of crimes in our state, when taken as a group.


montgomery
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 8:13 am
Location: Montgomery, Texas

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#3

Post by montgomery » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:18 am

Guy could have been open carrying, got out of vehicle to be verbal but not threatening and the family called police because they felt threatened or just wanted the guy to get in trouble. We do not know the facts, but if he did what is reported, then he is the aggressor and is lucky he lost his LTC and not his life by being met with an armed, trained, and prepared occupant of the other vehicle.

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 16944
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#4

Post by WildBill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:55 am

K.Mooneyham wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 am
speedygonzo1978 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:27 am
I saw the news about this and I happen to live 2 miles from this intersection. Pretty scary stuff. But man the LTC holder was definitely out of line.
How do we know the LTC-holder actually did that? Maybe the other vehicle really did cut him off and almost cause him to crash. Maybe he shook his fist at them or made a foul gesture they found offensive. Saying it's a "man with a gun" is almost a no-brainer in Texas because so many people are armed, and it's an easy way to get someone in trouble. I've seen a lot of people drive pretty dangerously on packed highways, as I'm sure you have, too.

Then again, maybe he did do it...but it's really one word against the other, unless there is video or photographic evidence.

BTW, I'm not condoning bad or dangerous behavior; just proposing the other side of things. LTCers gave the lowest incidence of crimes in our state, when taken as a group.
:iagree: It sounds like the LTC was open carrying so it would be very easy for someone to state that he pointed the gun at someone. Getting out of his vesicle wasn't a good idea.
Last edited by WildBill on Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member


K.Mooneyham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Vernon, Texas

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#5

Post by K.Mooneyham » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:32 am

WildBill wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:55 am
K.Mooneyham wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 am
speedygonzo1978 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:27 am
I saw the news about this and I happen to live 2 miles from this intersection. Pretty scary stuff. But man the LTC holder was definitely out of line.
How do we know the LTC-holder actually did that? Maybe the other vehicle really did cut him off and almost cause him to crash. Maybe he shook his fist at them or made a foul gesture they found offensive. Saying it's a "man with a gun" is almost a no-brainer in Texas because so many people are armed, and it's an easy way to get someone in trouble. I've seen a lot of people drive pretty dangerously on packed highways, as I'm sure you have, too.

Then again, maybe he did do it...but it's really one word against the other, unless there is video or photographic evidence.

BTW, I'm not condoning bad or dangerous behavior; just proposing the other side of things. LTCers gave the lowest incidence of crimes in our state, when taken as a group.
:iagree: I sounds like the LTC was open carrying so it would be very easy for someone to state that he pointed the gun at someone. Getting out of his vesicle wasn't a good idea.
Yes, sir, exiting his vehicle was a serious mistake, even if he was cut off in traffic.

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7931
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#6

Post by RoyGBiv » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 am

WildBill wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:55 am
:iagree: I sounds like the LTC was open carrying so it would be very easy for someone to state that he pointed the gun at someone. Getting out of his vesicle wasn't a good idea.
:iagree: A wise man once told me... When you carry a gun, every conflict you get involved in is an armed conflict. And armed conflicts should be avoided whenever possible.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5050
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#7

Post by Jusme » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:16 pm

There is a whole lot of stupid in this story. The plaintive claims the driver pointed a gun at him, while still driving. He supposedly had his family with him. If that were true, why would he stop?
If the LTC holder was cut off in traffic, what was he hoping to accomplish, by stopping and getting out of his vehicle? Sounds to me like no one was engaging their brains. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


Grayling813
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#8

Post by Grayling813 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:17 pm

RoyGBiv wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 am
:iagree: A wise man once told me... When you carry a gun, every conflict you get involved in is an armed conflict. And armed conflicts should be avoided whenever possible.
Wise advice. We must hold ourselves to a higher standard of behavior.
I emailed a copy of the Constitution to a friend. I was hoping the NSA would finally read it.

If you find somebody to love in this world, you better hang on tooth and nail. The wolf is always at the door. -Don Henley “New York Minute”

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 16944
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#9

Post by WildBill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:21 pm

Jusme wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:16 pm
There is a whole lot of stupid in this story. The plaintive claims the driver pointed a gun at him, while still driving. He supposedly had his family with him. If that were true, why would he stop?
If the LTC holder was cut off in traffic, what was he hoping to accomplish, by stopping and getting out of his vehicle? Sounds to me like no one was engaging their brains. JMHO
Since there was no collision there is no good that could come out of either person stopping.
NRA Endowment Member


LDP
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#10

Post by LDP » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:39 pm

K.Mooneyham wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 am
How do we know the LTC-holder actually did that?
Absolutely agree.
It can happen to any of us on a nice OC day. People lie. It is very common nowadays. And libtards love to lie about guns to get us "armed criminals" all jailed and guns banned, get used to it.

If this happens to any of us and someone lies that we threatened them with deadly force, do we have any recourse? Is there any legal action one can take against such liar? Manufacturing events that did not transpire is one thing but lying to a LEO about deadly force is much more serious. Anything one can do about it?


LDP
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#11

Post by LDP » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:57 pm

speedygonzo1978 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:49 pm
Now that all are good valid points, this suggest me to consider getting a video recoder for my vehicle. I've had too many instances of people cutting me off nearly hitting me then they brake check me for unknown reasons.
Definitely get a dashcam. They have become affordable and reliable and can save you from painful dealings with insurance companies.
Also, saying "I have you on a dashcam" to a road-rage assailant can calm them down when they realize the footage can be used against them legally.

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2593
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#12

Post by Bitter Clinger » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:41 pm

LDP wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:39 pm
K.Mooneyham wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 am
How do we know the LTC-holder actually did that?
Absolutely agree.
It can happen to any of us on a nice OC day. People lie. It is very common nowadays. And libtards love to lie about guns to get us "armed criminals" all jailed and guns banned, get used to it.

If this happens to any of us and someone lies that we threatened them with deadly force, do we have any recourse? Is there any legal action one can take against such liar? Manufacturing events that did not transpire is one thing but lying to a LEO about deadly force is much more serious. Anything one can do about it?
I believe that filing a false police report is a Class B Misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a fine of up to $2000 under Texas Penal Code Section 37.08.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8224
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#13

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:21 pm

The part of this that bothers me is that someone can just claim you waved a gun at them and it is up to you to prove you didn't. Seems a bit backwards.

Maybe this guy admitted it or something. There has to be more to the story.


Rob72
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am
Location: Gulf Coast

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#14

Post by Rob72 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:52 am

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:21 pm
The part of this that bothers me is that someone can just claim you waved a gun at them and it is up to you to prove you didn't. Seems a bit backwards.

Maybe this guy admitted it or something. There has to be more to the story.
Could be, or it could just be someone with an axe to grind who's of above average intelligence. OC let's everyone around see exactly what you carry, and a description of a, "black gun, it looked blocky, so I think it was a Glock...," is pretty much a slam-dunk as far as an eyewitness statement.

Stopping to talk to someone who's gotten hot behind the wheel is never a good idea.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 25091
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Road Rage in Willis; LTC involved

#15

Post by The Annoyed Man » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:59 am

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:21 pm
The part of this that bothers me is that someone can just claim you waved a gun at them and it is up to you to prove you didn't. Seems a bit backwards.

Maybe this guy admitted it or something. There has to be more to the story.
Dashcam. I’ve been putting off getting one, but I’m not going to wait any longer.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

Post Reply

Return to “The Crime Blotter”