TX: Houston CHL sentenced to 20 years for murdering attorney over dispute over handicapped parking spot

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 4

TX: Houston CHL sentenced to 20 years for murdering attorney over dispute over handicapped parking spot

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/reti ... -in-prison

Sorry, I tried to find the original post on this but failed.

CHL got upset about someone parking in a handicapped parking spot. Person didn’t like being called out on it, attacked the 67 year old man, who drew his weapon and killed the man who was 69 years old.

Lots of mention of vigilante, and just because you have a CHL doesn’t mean you have a license to kill.

Wish I could have found the original post, if there was one as this case is important for all CHL’s and says a lot on how the current DA looks at these cases.

narcissist
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: Houston CHL sentenced to 20 years for murdering attorney over dispute over handicapped parking spot

Post by narcissist »

I'm lost for words on this one, both handicapped and about the same age. I mean my tires got stolen one time at walmart but never shot the people over it even though my wheelchair doesnt work anymore.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

rotor

Re: TX: Houston CHL sentenced to 20 years for murdering attorney over dispute over handicapped parking spot

Post by rotor »

There was a similar story back a bit but I can’t find it. Older guy fighting with a guy at a convenience store about parking in handicapped spot. Older guy pushed down and fires and kills guy parked in handicapped spot.
Can’t believe there are armed nuts monitoring handicapped spots. Crazy.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

rotor wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:00 pm There was a similar story back a bit but I can’t find it. Older guy fighting with a guy at a convenience store about parking in handicapped spot. Older guy pushed down and fires and kills guy parked in handicapped spot.
Most of the people I see parking in handicap don't seem handicapped at all to me. They hop out of their car and stroll into the store like everyone else. It does irritate me but I never considered challenging any of them.

dlh

Post by dlh »

As a footnote to this case it is illegal to carry in a post office parking lot under federal law.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

03Lightningrocks

dlh wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:28 pm As a footnote to this case it is illegal to carry in a post office parking lot under federal law.
Oh my! I think you are correct. I did not consider that when I first saw this thread.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I have shamed able body people utilizing handicapped spaces. However, I would not consider pulling a weapon on them.

howdy

Post by howdy »

Be careful shaming people for "looking able bodied". Looks can be deceiving. Prime example is someone with a serious heart condition. They can't walk very far without being winded or extremely tired. They look just fine but they are not. Chemo patients are the same way. I am sure others can think of similar situations.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

03Lightningrocks

howdy wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:44 pm Be careful shaming people for "looking able bodied". Looks can be deceiving. Prime example is someone with a serious heart condition. They can't walk very far without being winded or extremely tired. They look just fine but they are not. Chemo patients are the same way. I am sure others can think of similar situations.
Then they should have a handicap placard.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

howdy wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:44 pm Be careful shaming people for "looking able bodied". Looks can be deceiving. Prime example is someone with a serious heart condition. They can't walk very far without being winded or extremely tired. They look just fine but they are not. Chemo patients are the same way. I am sure others can think of similar situations.
I only shame people who are obviously fit. When you can lifting cases of water over the side of a pickup bed ( multiple cases), or you jog into Sams while you leave the person who actually qualifies for the placard in a running car with the A/C running ( illegal by the way) I get a bit perturbed. I have had several friend who have need the space as they went through Chemo, so I don’t jump to conclusions.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 5

Post by oljames3 »

rotor wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:00 pm There was a similar story back a bit but I can’t find it. Older guy fighting with a guy at a convenience store about parking in handicapped spot. Older guy pushed down and fires and kills guy parked in handicapped spot.
John Correia, of Active Self Protection, posted a discussion of this incident and the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TBXz2_o0KM
Last edited by oljames3 on Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I suggest we should refrain from publicly "shaming" anyone, especially over parking. As howdy said, not all handicaps are obvious. I retired from the Army after over 30 years in uniform. The VA rated me 70% disabled. The state of Texas grants me certain parking accommodations and I appreciate that as well as the other benefits Texas affords her veterans. I have neither the inclination nor the requirement to fit anyone's stereotype nor to explain myself. I do not have a disabled placard. My vehicles have Texas Disabled Veteran US Armed Forces plates. I will continue to do all I can to hide my discomfort. Several forum members know exactly how I feel.

Just as I do not modify my carrying to mollify those who are "frustrated" by my taking responsibility to lawfully protect my loved ones and myself, I am not concerned with those who are "frustrated" over where and how I legally park.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks

oljames3 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:11 am I suggest we should refrain from publicly "shaming" anyone, especially over parking. As howdy said, not all handicaps are obvious. I retired from the Army after over 30 years in uniform. The VA rated me 70% disabled. The state of Texas grants me certain parking accommodations and I appreciate that as well as the other benefits Texas affords her veterans. I have neither the inclination nor the requirement to fit anyone's stereotype nor to explain myself. I do not have a disabled placard. My vehicles have Texas Disabled Veteran US Armed Forces plates. I will continue to do all I can to hide my discomfort. Several forum members know exactly how I feel.

Just as I do not modify my carrying to mollify those who are "frustrated" by my taking responsibility to lawfully protect my loved ones and myself, I am not concerned with those who are "frustrated" over where and how I legally park.
The plate you mentioned qualifies as a placard.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:43 am
oljames3 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:11 am I suggest we should refrain from publicly "shaming" anyone, especially over parking. As howdy said, not all handicaps are obvious. I retired from the Army after over 30 years in uniform. The VA rated me 70% disabled. The state of Texas grants me certain parking accommodations and I appreciate that as well as the other benefits Texas affords her veterans. I have neither the inclination nor the requirement to fit anyone's stereotype nor to explain myself. I do not have a disabled placard. My vehicles have Texas Disabled Veteran US Armed Forces plates. I will continue to do all I can to hide my discomfort. Several forum members know exactly how I feel.

The plate you mentioned qualifies as a placard.
I have a placard that I use when I am a passenger in someone else's vehicle. I have been harranged by those who don't understand Texas Transportation Code 504.201.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Probably not worth shooting over a handicap parking spot, but it's not worth attacking someone who calls you out on it, even if erroneous. That can earn you a Darwin award, as a couple people have found out.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “The Crime Blotter”