IN: Tampa plastic surgeon dies after jet fuel put in prop plane

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

IN: Tampa plastic surgeon dies after jet fuel put in prop plane

Post by philip964 »

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/regi ... -ntsb-says

Plane crashed, well known doctor.

Nozzels are different. Guy readjusted and got it to work.

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IN: Tampa plastic surgeon dies after jet fuel put in prop plane

Post by Jago668 »

We had guys use their hands as funnels to get diesel into gas tanks. We've had people put gas in diesel tanks
NRA Benefactor Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Earlier in the year I filled my F-250 Diesel with gas and then drove it about five miles. Not a cheap fix.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

philip964 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:32 pm https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/regi ... -ntsb-says

Plane crashed, well known doctor.

Nozzels are different. Guy readjusted and got it to work.
Epstein's plastic surgeon.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm Earlier in the year I filled my F-250 Diesel with gas and then drove it about five miles. Not a cheap fix.
I used an F250 diesel to pull a race trailer several years ago. Many of my trips would entail some very long hours, late into the night. I bet I came close to doing that 20 times over a couple years. Being tired it was easier to do than one might think. I always caught myself before pumping..

In the early 1980's, I worked at DFW airport as a fueler. My memory is faded now but I swear I remember the nozzle for Jet A being quite a bit larger than avgas. I also recall the wings being labeled as avgas by the fuel caps. The guy doing the fueling really should have known better, no matter what the pilot said.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:09 pm
carlson1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm Earlier in the year I filled my F-250 Diesel with gas and then drove it about five miles. Not a cheap fix.
I used an F250 diesel to pull a race trailer several years ago. Many of my trips would entail some very long hours, late into the night. I bet I came close to doing that 20 times over a couple years. Being tired it was easier to do than one might think. I always caught myself before pumping..

In the early 1980's, I worked at DFW airport as a fueler. My memory is faded now but I swear I remember the nozzle for Jet A being quite a bit larger than avgas. I also recall the wings being labeled as avgas by the fuel caps. The guy doing the fueling really should have known better, no matter what the pilot said.
I'm an Air Force "retired" veteran aircraft maintainer, and A&P mechanic, with many years of working on jet aircraft. Yes, the nozzles are different sizes and yes, the aircraft is required to be labeled as to what sort of fuel it takes. Your memory is fine.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

about 30 years ago, my son decided he was going to help us out and filled out car up------with water :cryin
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Ding ding ding. The knuckle head had to work to get Jet A into an av gas tank. The article said he thought the Piper Aerostar “looked” like a jet! :totap: :headscratch
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

Syntyr wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:15 pm

Ding ding ding. The knuckle head had to work to get Jet A into an av gas tank. The article said he thought the Piper Aerostar “looked” like a jet! :totap: :headscratch

Only one commenter has brought up the Jeffery Epstein connection and that he flew medical supplies to Haiti. The Arkansas plane and Yale connections are just a bonus.

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

The article said he thought the Piper Aerostar “looked” like a jet!
He probably meant that the Piper Aerostar looked like a turboprop plane, which has jet engines that drive propellors...a less outrageous mistake.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Disclaimer: what little I know about piloting is from casual conversations with pilots I know, and watching stuff like "Airplane Repo" on Discovery Channel.

Q: even if the fuel jockey stuffed in the wrong fuel, shouldn't the pilot have caught it in pre-flight when he checked filler caps, drain valves, and for water in the fuel? Or was the doc's pre-flight more like "kick the tires and light the fires"? Kerosene and gasoline smell very different to me in my experience (earthbound motorized vehicles). I have to imagine that JP4 doesn't smell that much like high octane av gas......if you bother to inhale, or get some on your hands....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

ELB
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ELB »

I took "looked like a jet" to mean it looked like it had "jet" engines as a shorthand for turbine engines, which can power either jet or turboprop aircraft, both using Jet A Fuel.

AFAIK, the pilot, who is trained and certificated on his aircraft and its systems, has final word and responsibility for what happens to his aircraft. If he agreed 3X with "Jet A", then he owns the fuel mistake. The fuel truck guy could have made a bigger fuss about the nozzle not matching the tank opening, but the pilot get the final say.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ELB »

p.s. I forgot the link to the NTSB preliminary report: https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Repor ... L&IType=FA
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “The Crime Blotter”