‘Gun Jugging’ on the Rise in Houston

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

‘Gun Jugging’ on the Rise in Houston

Post by Tex1961 »

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/gun- ... e-houston/

Authorities in Houston are concerned about the rise in gun jugging, local media reports.

Not familiar with the term “jugging”?

It’s basically a stalk and steal approach criminals use to take cash from bank customers who’ve recently withdrawn money from an ATM.

They watch, wait, and then strike when the victim least suspects it or is most vulnerable.

Gun jugging is the same thing except criminals target guns instead of cash. Ranges are a popular hangout for gun juggers because shooters are coming and going all the time, and sometimes they don’t take all their firearms out of their vehicles at once.

Any firearms left behind are easy pickings.

Sgt. Tracy Hicks with Houston PD told KHOU11 that car break-ins where guns were stolen are up over 100 this year compared to the same time last year (Jan-April), totaling 754 incidents versus 646 in 2019.

SEE ALSO: Clay Visits Blac-Rac: Makers of the Best Weapon Mount for Your Vehicle

“These guys are targeting those people,” said Sgt. Tracy Hicks. “They’re also learning, why not go for more than one gun?”

Police busted two alleged gun juggers on May 12, 19-year-old Michael Parker and 19-year-old Victor Gwinn, who were wanted for questioning concerning a previous case involving stolen guns.

In their most recent heist, Parker and Gwinn followed a gun owner from a gun range to a restaurant. When the gun owner went inside to get something to eat, the teens broke inside the vehicle and stole a firearm.

Believed to be members of a local gang, the two were charged with “engaging in organized crime.”

Sgt. Hicks said that gun owners can help stop gun juggers if they properly secured their firearms in locked containers or safes when the guns remain inside an unoccupied vehicle.

“That’s something you have to live with, that your complacency was a factor in that [theft],” Hicks said, adding that “One less gun on the street is one less victim out there.”

OneGun

Re: ‘Gun Jugging’ on the Rise in Houston

Post by OneGun »

Never heard of this, but it is a good reason to always carry your firearm concealed on your body at all times. These descriptions sound more like a burglary then a robbery since the juggers do not accost the owner. Carrying concealed presents some problems for the Juggers. 1st, the juggers have to figure out if you have a firearm. 2nd where you keep the firearm. 3) Will you shoot if you catch them in the act. Most people will surrender cash, but a gun is another matter since the victim does not want to get shot with their own gun.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

I wonder if Sgt. Tracy Hicks understands that businesses posting 30.06 signs are providing guns for the taking left behind in parked cars.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Bank Jugging sometimes involves robbery. They puncture your tire at a bank and rob you when you stop and because you noticed the flat tire.

Previous police stories have involved just breaking into every pickup truck at a Big box store till they find a gun or targeting cars or pick ups with NRA stickers, etc.

People are followed from Apple stores if they are seen carrying out a big box. When murder is a no bond offense. What is burglary of a vehicle?

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

AndyC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:04 pm Sounds like one needs to perform a counter-surveillance maneuver or two after leaving the range - take 3 left-turns and see who's still there, etc
:iagree:

Augment your normal situational awareness with a 'crazy ivan' or two if traffic/population density hinder your ability to spot a tail......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:18 pm
AndyC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:04 pm Sounds like one needs to perform a counter-surveillance maneuver or two after leaving the range - take 3 left-turns and see who's still there, etc
:iagree:

Augment your normal situational awareness with a 'crazy ivan' or two if traffic/population density hinder your ability to spot a tail......
There are 3 big speed bumps on the way home. I take them at 40mph, anyone following me is going to stand out.
NRA Benefactor Member

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Some juggings are facilitated by a dirty bank teller who lets her gangster friends know who just made a large cash withdrawal.
Then the BG's know who to attack and how much they will get.

Another M.O. that the juggers use is to sit a little ways away from a bank, glassing (using binoculars) the exit doors from the bank.
If they see a person carrying a bank bag, or a big envelope, they assume it's full of cash.
They follow the person until the person parks and goes into a store.
Then they break into the car and steal the cash.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Not exactly gun jugging as described, but vehicles in big box sporting goods store parking lots (ie Bass Pro, Cabela's Gander Mountain, Academy, etc.) have been targeted for quite a while during especially during hunting season when a hunter stops to shop on the way to their hunting destination. They look for ATV/UTV's in PU beds or trailers with the same or a blind on it and also PU with campers or camper trailers. They can be in and out in less than a minute.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

thats why our range has a coded gate entry. once your in...you cant get out unless gate opens and it takes a code to open it.

by then bad guys would most likely perish from FEAR of lead

thanks for letting us know about gun jugging. everyday i am surprised at the criminals and what they come up with.

if i lived in houston, i think leaving a gun in the car while i walk to the range that has a plugged barrel would be fun.. bet bad guy only shoots it once :hurry:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Not exactly jugging but then again, maybe. My neighbor's car was broken into in a parking lot a few weeks ago. Nothing but sunglasses was taken. However, the next day while they were at work their house was broken into. The thieves left behind 1 more item from the car break in, their insurance card. That's how they knew where they lived. LEO's seem to think they were targeted for something.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

RPBrown wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:02 am Not exactly jugging but then again, maybe. My neighbor's car was broken into in a parking lot a few weeks ago. Nothing but sunglasses was taken. However, the next day while they were at work their house was broken into. The thieves left behind 1 more item from the car break in, their insurance card. That's how they knew where they lived. LEO's seem to think they were targeted for something.
This is why I carry my car insurance card in my wallet, and leave nothing in the car that has address on it.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Grayling813 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:00 am
RPBrown wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:02 am Not exactly jugging but then again, maybe. My neighbor's car was broken into in a parking lot a few weeks ago. Nothing but sunglasses was taken. However, the next day while they were at work their house was broken into. The thieves left behind 1 more item from the car break in, their insurance card. That's how they knew where they lived. LEO's seem to think they were targeted for something.
This is why I carry my car insurance card in my wallet, and leave nothing in the car that has address on it.
and thats the other reason our state does not require you to carry your registration in your vehicle
leos can simply scan your window sticker to ensure car is registered..or GASP look up your tag number in the law enforcement system. your insurance shows up as well. but could be delayed by a few weeks if carrier fails to report lack of insurance
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Grayling813 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:00 am This is why I carry my car insurance card in my wallet, and leave nothing in the car that has address on it.
I carry a minimalist wallet as my pockets are usually full with one or two (work) phones, knife, OC spray, etc. But I understand the need for having the insurance card handy. My State Farm app on my phone has it available to me. Haven't had to show it to LEO (fingers crossed) but I've used it quite a few times for getting my car inspected. One less piece of paper I have to keep in the vehicle/wallet.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”