After Action Analysis (George Floyd): May 27, 2020

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

After Action Analysis (George Floyd): May 27, 2020

Post by oljames3 »

Today’s “After Action Analysis” Show focuses on the in-custody death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. For future reference, you can link anyone you like, LOSD Member or not, to this “After Action Analysis” Show by just using the URL: lawofselfdefense.com/floyd
https://lawofselfdefense.com/after-acti ... y-27-2020/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 8

Re: After Action Analysis (George Floyd): May 27, 2020

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

He very well may have resisted arrest. But once he was cuffed and lying face down, resistance is over. I have watched many officer take downs and have never seen a cop doing anything close to what I saw that cop do. That cop appeared to be angry about something. It was almost as if he was determined not to let anyone tell him to let up.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Those cops started by the book and then ended like fascists. Man was pleading to just let him breathe and the cop with his knee on the neck was literally suffocating him slowly.
There’s a point when the man is no longer talking or moving. That’s because he is deceased, and you can’t tell me that the officer did not notice that his body got limp. Bystanders are pleading for them to just check his pulse, but nope, he maintains his knee on the neck. What a brave bunch.
Hope that the one with his knee on this mans neck rots in prison.

03Lightningrocks

parabelum wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:31 pm Those cops started by the book and then ended like fascists. Man was pleading to just let him breathe and the cop with his knee on the neck was literally suffocating him slowly.
There’s a point when the man is no longer talking or moving. That’s because he is deceased, and you can’t tell me that the officer did not notice that his body got limp. Bystanders are pleading for them to just check his pulse, but nope, he maintains his knee on the neck. What a brave bunch.
Hope that the one with his knee on this mans neck rots in prison.
Him cowering in the corner of his cell, battered, bruised and abused, wearing makeup and tiny little pig tales in his hair would be a nice ending.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I sure hope so!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:18 pm He very well may have resisted arrest. But once he was cuffed and lying face down, resistance is over.
I do not know about this specific case and I will not comment on whether the officers are right or wrong. I do know that I have been attacked by people who are cuffed and restrained. I remember one case where I arrived at a call for a bar fight and found a subject cuffed and laying face down on the ground with two security guards restraining him. He tried to fight us when we were switching out the cuffs. After I got him recuffed and put in a patrol car, he kicked the back door, bending the door frame and breaking the window and his ankle. When we got him to the hospital, he tried to attack me when he was sitting in a wheelchair. He tried to attack the ward tech when he was on the gurney on the way to be x-rayed.

You cannot make a flat statement that the fight is over at any certain point. Some will even pretend to stop resisting and will attack when you relax for a moment. Some officers paid with their lives for relaxing too early after someone was cuffed.

This is why I always say to wait until the investigation is completed before rushing to judgment. The officers may very well be right. They may very well be wrong. We can only truly tell after an investigation is conducted and completed.

And I will point out that responding to political pressure and firing them or charging them before an investigation is complete has never worked out well for the agency. It makes it easy for the officer's to get their jobs back because the agency cannot prove the case. This is really bad when there are bad officers the agency is trying to get rid of.
Steve Rothstein

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

srothstein wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:15 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:18 pm He very well may have resisted arrest. But once he was cuffed and lying face down, resistance is over.
I do not know about this specific case and I will not comment on whether the officers are right or wrong. I do know that I have been attacked by people who are cuffed and restrained. I remember one case where I arrived at a call for a bar fight and found a subject cuffed and laying face down on the ground with two security guards restraining him. He tried to fight us when we were switching out the cuffs. After I got him recuffed and put in a patrol car, he kicked the back door, bending the door frame and breaking the window and his ankle. When we got him to the hospital, he tried to attack me when he was sitting in a wheelchair. He tried to attack the ward tech when he was on the gurney on the way to be x-rayed.

You cannot make a flat statement that the fight is over at any certain point. Some will even pretend to stop resisting and will attack when you relax for a moment. Some officers paid with their lives for relaxing too early after someone was cuffed.

This is why I always say to wait until the investigation is completed before rushing to judgment. The officers may very well be right. They may very well be wrong. We can only truly tell after an investigation is conducted and completed.

And I will point out that responding to political pressure and firing them or charging them before an investigation is complete has never worked out well for the agency. It makes it easy for the officer's to get their jobs back because the agency cannot prove the case. This is really bad when there are bad officers the agency is trying to get rid of.
Sorry for being a bit harsh now, but prudently dealing with people who may be violent towards you is what you signed up for when you took your oath. Keyword is “prudently”. We all can react and cross the line. You’re there to ensure that the line isn’t crossed.
I’m sure you know what it feels like when life goes out of a person, as the muscle limps.
Here you can actually tell what is happening for certain, man was being choked to death by carotid pressure/airways obstruction and while he laid there dying (and afterwards), that nazi (calling him an officer is inappropriate) continued to press his knee. That’s “to protect and to serve”? Come on.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:18 pm He very well may have resisted arrest. But once he was cuffed and lying face down, resistance is over. I have watched many officer take downs and have never seen a cop doing anything close to what I saw that cop do. That cop appeared to be angry about something. It was almost as if he was determined not to let anyone tell him to let up.
No. As others have stated, just because someone is cuffed & on the ground it does not mean they are finished fighting.

By this point in time, all law enforcement training must include limitations on how long a cuffed person should be held down. When I was in corrections we had training on things like this, & I’ve been out of that for over a year.

I do get that the officer was also having to deal with a growing crowd that was continuing to Escalate in anger while they are videoing his actions. The crowd was making it increasingly difficult to focus on the restrained man in his custody.

seph

Post by seph »

I would recommend not commenting if you do not know the details or have not at least watched the video. What do we say when we assume things? :tiphat:

Choking a suspect to death is a complete different issue than to continue to forcefully hold a suspect down.

If those officers where civilians, they would have immediately been charged with murder
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

03Lightningrocks

AdioSS wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:57 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:18 pm He very well may have resisted arrest. But once he was cuffed and lying face down, resistance is over. I have watched many officer take downs and have never seen a cop doing anything close to what I saw that cop do. That cop appeared to be angry about something. It was almost as if he was determined not to let anyone tell him to let up.
No. As others have stated, just because someone is cuffed & on the ground it does not mean they are finished fighting.

By this point in time, all law enforcement training must include limitations on how long a cuffed person should be held down. When I was in corrections we had training on things like this, & I’ve been out of that for over a year.

I do get that the officer was also having to deal with a growing crowd that was continuing to Escalate in anger while they are videoing his actions. The crowd was making it increasingly difficult to focus on the restrained man in his custody.
Ridiculous justification. That cop was simply wrong! Shame on anyone that tries to justify this level of police brutality.

03Lightningrocks

seph wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:01 pm

I would recommend not commenting if you do not know the details or have not at least watched the video. What do we say when we assume things? :tiphat:

Choking a suspect to death is a complete different issue than to continue to forcefully hold a suspect down.

If those officers where civilians, they would have immediately been charged with murder
:iagree: Placing ones knee on the neck and applying your body weight until the man is dead is a VERY LONG reach from holding a suspect down. In cases I have watched on video, TV ect. the cops always have the knee on the center of the back to hold the suspect down.

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

AdioSS wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:57 pm

Thats what the other “cops” are there for. No excuse.

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

I hope to never come across some of you in this thread stating to not rush judge and the officers maybe be right on this one. You literally saw a man pleading for his life and suffocated to death and have the audacity to say that they might be right in any circumstances? Wow I hope none of you are cops and if so I hope I never run across any of you. Simply disgusting.

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

This is why I always say to wait until the investigation is completed before rushing to judgment. The officers may very well be right. They may very well be wrong. We can only truly tell after an investigation is conducted and completed. ......snip....
Well said Steve. I was amazed the LEOs were fired instead of being placed some admin duty before the investigation was completed. Everyone including the news media loves to propagate the worst case scenario.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Return to “The Crime Blotter”