Remember your a sitting duck at a bar.

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Remember your a sitting duck at a bar.

Post by philip964 »

https://www.wdrb.com/news/bungalow-joe- ... 3bf9a.html

3 dead at a random shooting at a bar. Walked up shot three men who were strangers dead at point blank range.

Social media trying to make it political.

Here is what social media is saying:

Happened Louisville KT where Breona Taylor’s family was paid 12 million dollars.

Shooter was wearing a Justice for Breona Taylor tee shirt.

Member or supporter of Black Lives Matter.

Didn’t speak to victims, just walked up and murdered them.

Bar is owned by a retired police officer.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Remember your a sitting duck at a bar.

Post by C-dub »

Could be political. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the shooter has to say.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

My guess is that it was political. I'm not sure that it is possible to have your head on enough of a swivel to have seen that coming or avoided it. It surely fits the definition of capital murder and I hope that charge is the one pursued.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Flightmare »

I was at a political event a couple weeks ago with a fellow fourm member. I handed a sheet to a state rep last week requesting legislation to allow carry in 51% locations. Call it the "Designated Defender" bill if you want. He sounded surprised that carry (by LTCs) was prohibited in 51% locations. I confirmed it was and showed him on my sheet the section of the penal code where it was prohibited. He replied saying "you're a sitting duck". I said "I agree! Fortunately, you are one of the people who can help change that."
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

If it helps you make up your mind on whether this was political or not, my social media is adding one more fact:

It was a cop bar, as in a hangout for off duty and former/retired cops. I don't know if that is true or not, but you point out that the owner was a retired cop. The article says that one of the victims was his very first customer. That sounds like a couple places I know where the officer told his friends on duty when he planned to retire what he was going to do and they showed up to support him.
Steve Rothstein

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

How can it now be political? The shooter was wearing a Breona Taylor shirt. He as there to make a statement. What I have not learned from any of the news articles that I read is why that bar & grill. Why shoot total strangers? Shooter is in custody. I'd like to hear his defense. He made no effort to hide his identity, so he knew he was going to get caught.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Flightmare wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:17 pm I was at a political event a couple weeks ago with a fellow fourm member. I handed a sheet to a state rep last week requesting legislation to allow carry in 51% locations. Call it the "Designated Defender" bill if you want. He sounded surprised that carry (by LTCs) was prohibited in 51% locations. I confirmed it was and showed him on my sheet the section of the penal code where it was prohibited. He replied saying "you're a sitting duck". I said "I agree! Fortunately, you are one of the people who can help change that."
I like the Designator Defender moniker!!
I have been hounding my reps, to allow LTC to carry everywhere an off duty/retired, out of state LEO can carry. We may have to get it through in baby steps, and 51% locations will probably be the easiest to get removed from the prohibited locations. But I would like to see all locations removed, especially those in government controlled locations, like court rooms, polling places, schools, etc.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Jusme wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:59 am
Flightmare wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:17 pm I was at a political event a couple weeks ago with a fellow fourm member. I handed a sheet to a state rep last week requesting legislation to allow carry in 51% locations. Call it the "Designated Defender" bill if you want. He sounded surprised that carry (by LTCs) was prohibited in 51% locations. I confirmed it was and showed him on my sheet the section of the penal code where it was prohibited. He replied saying "you're a sitting duck". I said "I agree! Fortunately, you are one of the people who can help change that."
I have been hounding my reps, to allow LTC to carry everywhere an off duty/retired, out of state LEO can carry. We may have to get it through in baby steps, and 51% locations will probably be the easiest to get removed from the prohibited locations. But I would like to see all locations removed, especially those in government controlled locations, like court rooms, polling places, schools, etc.
I have a double sided sheet of paper that I have been handing out to state reps/senators I run into at different political events. I'd be happy to share it with you to hand out to some of the ones in your area. I even put a few rebuttals for those who would argue against some of the changes I am requesting. The fun part is, the changes I request add not a single word to the Texas PC. They are literally all strike-thru or removal of text from the PC.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Flightmare wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:53 am
I have a double sided sheet of paper that I have been handing out to state reps/senators I run into at different political events. I'd be happy to share it with you to hand out to some of the ones in your area. I even put a few rebuttals for those who would argue against some of the changes I am requesting. The fun part is, the changes I request add not a single word to the Texas PC. They are literally all strike-thru or removal of text from the PC.
Please PM that document. I'd like to hand it to my state rep who is running for re-election.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 am
Please PM that document. I'd like to hand it to my state rep who is running for re-election.
Same here. I would love a copy to share with mine.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 am
PM sent. This is an excellent time to approach senators/representatives as they are out asking for votes.

clarionite
Posts in topic: 3

Post by clarionite »

I shoot pool in a league. Or I should say I did before all the bars were shut down. Of all the locations I play at, I can carry at one. And that's only because the bar is attached to a hotel. The hotel, the bar, and the restaurant that are in the building are all a part of the same business. So the bar isn't a 51% location. The bartender knows me, and knows I carry. I have her blessing. I know the blessing isn't needed, but considering some people's lack of knowledge of the legalities I made sure I had a conversation with her about it before I started carrying. Just to avoid an unwanted LEO call if for some reason someone saw my EDC when I leaned over the table for a long shot. During that conversation she signed up for one of my LTC classes.

I don't understand why the 51% rule is needed at all. Striking that provision would still leave the carrying while impaired clause (which I agree with whole heartedly) and would allow people like me who aren't drinking to carry. DD's and Pool leagues would be much safer. Heck the entire establishment would be safer if the bad guys know it was likely not a GFZ in Texas.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Yes please PM me a copy also
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Jusme wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:46 am

Yes please PM me a copy also

PM Sent

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

clarionite wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:33 am I shoot pool in a league. Or I should say I did before all the bars were shut down. Of all the locations I play at, I can carry at one. And that's only because the bar is attached to a hotel. The hotel, the bar, and the restaurant that are in the building are all a part of the same business. So the bar isn't a 51% location. The bartender knows me, and knows I carry. I have her blessing. I know the blessing isn't needed, but considering some people's lack of knowledge of the legalities I made sure I had a conversation with her about it before I started carrying. Just to avoid an unwanted LEO call if for some reason someone saw my EDC when I leaned over the table for a long shot. During that conversation she signed up for one of my LTC classes.

I don't understand why the 51% rule is needed at all. Striking that provision would still leave the carrying while impaired clause (which I agree with whole heartedly) and would allow people like me who aren't drinking to carry. DD's and Pool leagues would be much safer. Heck the entire establishment would be safer if the bad guys know it was likely not a GFZ in Texas.
And that is the argument I have made to several elected officials.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”