Licensed open-carry poll: 30.06

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

If licensed open-carry is passed in Texas, will it lead to a large number of 30.06 signs?

Yes
29%
No
12%
Probably
30%
Probably not
17%
I don't know
12%

Total votes: 189

speedsix
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Licensed open-carry poll: 30.06

Post by speedsix »

...when CHLs came along...I saw a flurry of .06 signs go up...and then saw most of them go away after a few months...I believe most business owners don't want to drive away dollars...and even a few are glad to know that good citizens carry...if we get OC, I think with todays tight economy, there will be even fewer businesses than before willing to lose a good share of customers...and proportionately less businesses will post than before...I think that just as all other OC states, some of the wasps will fly off the nest...then, as they see no threat or change in life day to day, they will settle down and it will become routine...there will be other things more important to deal with, and crime will drop considerably because of OC...we didn't have a great road rage or other crime wave when we got the right to carry handguns in our vehicles...if the majority of those OC are good citizens, and they will be...I don't forsee many problems...and the bad apples will be dealt with...but, if you ask my wife, I have been wrong before...and if this is one time I'm wrong...I don't want to cause problems for the CHL owners...so I've not supported OC at all...I used to go on their forum, but the infighting got sickening and they didn't care that their opponents were reading it all...I think they shot themselves in the foot...together we (gun owners) can accomplish a lot...at each others' throats...not much...witness they way we got and have improved CHLs...you guys who deal with the legislature hands on have done a marvelous job and I'm not wanting to see that be hampered...

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Griz44 wrote:
Yet you support NRA F-Rated Lon Burnam's HB356 . . . interesting.
Not really the conflict of ideologies it would seem. The entire sentence you referenced does explain,
No, it doesn't. You claim you are " . . . for the total abolishment of all weapons laws that conflict with the 2nd" but you support a gun control bill. You contend Utah Instructors oppose HB356 because of a financial interest, but it is noteworthy that you are a Texas CHL Instructor with a financial interest in HB356 passing.

Chas.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

canvasbck wrote:There is a reason that on duty LEO's open carry........it deters crime.
Really? And here I thought it was just because it was easier for a working LEO to not have to keep it concealed. It never occured to me that it was deliberately for any deterrent value.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Griz44
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Griz44 »

but it is noteworthy that you are a Texas CHL Instructor with a financial interest in HB356 passing.
Your statement is certainly noted, and appropriatly worded. My financial interest however, is not a factor. As always, when I make a statement, I try and explain why. I did 3 classes last year and so far this year I have done 1. The classes have consisted mostly of of family, friends and co-workers. Friends an co-workers pay enough to cover the costs, friends pay only the range fees. I have spent days and many range trips teaching new shooters the sport and how to be safe doing it. I furnish the guns and the ammunition, they pay nothing for that. I partially fund this from the few funds that do come from the CHL classes, and foot the bill for the rest of it myself. Profit does not exist. I became an instructor for this purpose and to keep in touch with the sport I love, and to teach my now grown children and their friends the values and lessons I have learned. My classes produce approxomately 1/3 the revenue that a "normal" class would produce, as I also do greatly reduced fees to verterans and free classes for anyone in current military duty, and yes, there have been a few. I for one, have put my money and resources where my heart goes, I really do support our troops. Maybe when I retire in a few years, I will need this to supplement my income, as the Federal Government has seen to it that my once nice retirement funds are now skinny and inadequate. My own personal financial stake in this simply does not exist. One thing that anyone that knows me will agree with, when it comes to my beloved Texas, I will support and work for what I believe is best for Texas. I have also read the bill, and see nothing in it that further restricts or denies any 2A rights. I have absolutely no problems with a resident of Texas having BOTH a Texas license and an out of state. I see no issue with an out of state resident obtaining a Texas license, for use in Texas while visiting Texas even if he can't get a license in his/her home state. As I understand it, the out of state license issue was started by hunters coming into the state and wanting to carry a sidearm while hunting. We all know how scary a 300# texas hog can be! You may have more information on this, which I would love to hear.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

IMO, it probably wouldn't be long before we saw a second sign standard to allow for concealed carry in a business while prohibiting open carry. I would expect there are a fair number of business owners who don't mind people carrying but just don't want to see it or deal with antis who would try to make trouble through unjustified MWAG calls, etc.

AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

I've seen a plain clothes officer open carry in Chick-Fil-A 3 times. Only once did I see him come in with other uniformed officers.
I don't remember seeing a badge anywhere on him either, but it's possible I missed it since I didn't bother trying to thoroughly look him over for one.

Nobody there batted an eye or made an issue of it that I could tell, and this was a college town with young people around who attend the local liberal indoctrination camp.. oops, I mean university.

Griz44
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Griz44 »

young people around who attend the local liberal indoctrination camp.. oops, I mean university.
Unfortunately, I think you had it right the first time.... :confused5

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”