Do you support Joe Straus?

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Do you support Joe Straus for Texas Speaker of the House?

Yes.
5%
No.
95%

Total votes: 92

Pacifist

Re: Do you support Joe Straus?

Post by Pacifist »

I voted "No," but would have preferred a third option of "Heck no!"

EconDoc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by EconDoc »

I don't trust him to move the bills that we want, especially after Saturday's tragedy. I think that he is closer to the anti-gun left than he would like for us to know.
:txflag:
Sauron lives and his orc minions are on the march. Free people own guns.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

EconDoc wrote:I don't trust him to move the bills that we want, especially after Saturday's tragedy. I think that he is closer to the anti-gun left than he would like for us to know.
:txflag:
The Caucusing is done, it looks like Strauss is the Speaker, lets just hope that the bickering is done and that we can get on with peoples business.
Hopfuly the Republicans can put the fight behind them and move forward.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

He showed his true colors in 2009. viewtopic.php?f=92&t=25442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

katiethompson

Post by katiethompson »

I voted yes, because I supported him during the election - I thought people were making a bigger deal than necessary about compromising with Democrats - but I must say I'm disappointed with the campus carry situation. Anyone see that handshake with Villareal?
"When a man who is honestly mistaken nears the truth, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -Thomas Paine

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

katiethompson wrote:I voted yes, because I supported him during the election - I thought people were making a bigger deal than necessary about compromising with Democrats - but I must say I'm disappointed with the campus carry situation. Anyone see that handshake with Villareal?
Yes, I saw it. And I saw a Strauss who was exactly what we already knew him to be. A traitor.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Coogan

Post by Coogan »

baldeagle wrote:
katiethompson wrote:I voted yes, because I supported him during the election - I thought people were making a bigger deal than necessary about compromising with Democrats - but I must say I'm disappointed with the campus carry situation. Anyone see that handshake with Villareal?
Yes, I saw it. And I saw a Strauss who was exactly what we already knew him to be. A traitor.
I downloaded the archived broadcast of the House chamber for May 19th. At around the 5:20 to 5:30 mark, when SB 1581 was brought up on a POO, I didn't even see Straus at the dais. Could someone please point out to me when and where this happened? I must be missing something. Thanks!

raptor

Post by raptor »

He killed campus safety last session. Knowing that, the Republican majority made him Speaker of the House again and he killed campus safety again. What does that tell us about the majority of Republicans in the House?
The Raptor
is coming
May 21st

tbrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tbrown »

Pacifist wrote:I voted "No," but would have preferred a third option of "Heck no!"
:txflag: but my choice of modifiers is not for mixed company
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

raptor wrote:He killed campus safety last session. Knowing that, the Republican majority made him Speaker of the House again and he killed campus safety again. What does that tell us about the majority of Republicans in the House?
,..and that is the problem we need to fix. Vicky Truitt and others promised to defeat Strauss and, after being elected, got a bad case of amnesia about Straus and re-elected him - even in the face of protests at their offices. The good people of Texas need to fix the problem next election. All of the turn coats who promised to can Strauss and didn't need to be gone.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

raptor wrote:He killed campus safety last session. Knowing that, the Republican majority made him Speaker of the House again and he killed campus safety again. What does that tell us about the majority of Republicans in the House?
It tells us that campus carry is just not a high priority with them. They will put their name on the bill, but when it comes down to it, they won't actually fight for it.
Last edited by BrianSW99 on Sat May 21, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apostate

Post by apostate »

BrianSW99 wrote:It tell us that campus carry is just not a high priority with them. They will put their name on the bill, but when it comes down to it, they won't actually fight for it.
To my mind, that should equate to a C- at best from the NRA.

Paragrouper

Post by Paragrouper »

I found an interesting tidbit on the speaker. In 2010, he drew in over $5.2 Million in contributions The seventh highest in Texas.

http://www.followthemoney.org/database/ ... =TX&y=2010

Didn't he run unopposed? I wonder what he's gonna do with all that cash?

In comparison, my district rep. Myra Crownover, who ran unopposed, amassed a whopping $164K in contributions.

I guess its good to be king.
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

BrianSW99 wrote:
It tells us that campus carry is just not a high priority with them. They will put their name on the bill, but when it comes down to it, they won't actually fight for it.
:iagree:

I plan to vote accordingly. :txflag:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”