What Will the Legislature Have Time to Do?

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
EconDoc
Posts in topic: 2

What Will the Legislature Have Time to Do?

Post by EconDoc »

The burning question on my mind is, "With the budget problems of Texas and Redistricting on the agenda, what will the legislature actually be able to accomplish beyond those two things?" Will they have time to take up the Parking Lot and Campus Carry bills? What say you, Charles? You have a better handle on the situation than just about anybody I know.
Sauron lives and his orc minions are on the march. Free people own guns.

SwimFan85
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What Will the Legislature Have Time to Do?

Post by SwimFan85 »

If the Republicans deserve a big majority they will accomplish a lot by cutting waste and being fiscally responsible with the budget, and also have time for laws that protect the civil rights of Texans while letting feel good laws die in committee.

In 2009 they spent weeks wishing people happy birthday and making other off topic proclamations. Imagine what actual work they could have accomplished instead.
Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!
The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

jordanmills
Banned

Post by jordanmills »

Best just pass open carry then. Whee.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

two sessions in a row they have let rural water issues drop dead and the private companies keep sticking to us because we live in the sticks
122 a month for 2k gallons of water and sewer pure bull

and we are restricted on wells due to the lake being near :nono: :grumble :grumble
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

EconDoc wrote:The burning question on my mind is, "With the budget problems of Texas and Redistricting on the agenda, what will the legislature actually be able to accomplish beyond those two things?" Will they have time to take up the Parking Lot and Campus Carry bills? What say you, Charles? You have a better handle on the situation than just about anybody I know.
We have every reason to believe both employer parking lots and campus-carry will get to the House floor for debate and votes. The Senate should be no problem.

However, as you point out, redistricting and budget are going to take up so much time that I don't see us being able to do much more. That's unfortunate because there are some things we need to address that don't have much front page appeal.

Chas.

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

powerboatr wrote:two sessions in a row they have let rural water issues drop dead and the private companies keep sticking to us because we live in the sticks
Try Riverbend in NE TX, Lord Larry Sullivan, Texarkana city manager, wants his own little personal profit center.

Water isn't a problem here, people trying to use goverment to make special laws for personal gain via water rights is a huge problem. Some day the truth might shake out, but I think the whole Riverbend and Marvin Nichols thing is hugely corrupt. "Public servents" behind it for the "public good", and I betcha if you can connect the hidden dots (good luck), they stand to make out like bandits.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

SwimFan85 wrote:In 2009 they spent weeks wishing people happy birthday and making other off topic proclamations. Imagine what actual work they could have accomplished instead.
I got that impression last session, too. Very frustrating. Seemed like there was everything but Barney the purple dinosaur break-dancing on the House floor.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Douva

Post by Douva »

SwimFan85 wrote:In 2009 they spent weeks wishing people happy birthday and making other off topic proclamations. Imagine what actual work they could have accomplished instead.
This is number one on my list of legislative pet peeves. Last session, some legislators actually suggested that the legislature wasted too much time on the campus carry and parking lot bills. But nobody seemed too disturbed by the amount of time they spent recognizing wedding anniversaries, honoring little league teams, wishing people happy birthdays, etc. Most citizens have no idea how much time is wasted on that crap.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Any way of performing an audit? tally up the time spent on such things on the house floor over the course of the 140 days? Nothing like shining a bright light... maybe give an outfit like the Houston Press or Austin Chronicle the idea and let them do the legwork? They like doing exposes, stirring things up.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

I understand the frustrations, but at the same time if our US congress would only meet as often as our Texas reps we might not have quite the mess we have to deal with these days.

We may not get it all done at once, but that also means they don't have a ton of time to do extra stupid stuff to us! I try to look on the bright side. :cheers2:
TANSTAAFL

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

74novaman wrote:We may not get it all done at once, but that also means they don't have a ton of time to do extra stupid stuff to us! I try to look on the bright side. :cheers2:
Darn right!

We'd all be better off if they spent 140 days every two years on birthday and anniversaries and cheering youth sports.

Topic author
EconDoc

Post by EconDoc »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
EconDoc wrote:The burning question on my mind is, "With the budget problems of Texas and Redistricting on the agenda, what will the legislature actually be able to accomplish beyond those two things?" Will they have time to take up the Parking Lot and Campus Carry bills? What say you, Charles? You have a better handle on the situation than just about anybody I know.
We have every reason to believe both employer parking lots and campus-carry will get to the House floor for debate and votes. The Senate should be no problem.

However, as you point out, redistricting and budget are going to take up so much time that I don't see us being able to do much more. That's unfortunate because there are some things we need to address that don't have much front page appeal.

Chas.
Thank you, Charles. Would you be so kind as to give us some hints on what we can do to help get this stuff done most effectively, especially those of us in districts like Donna Howard's, since I suspect that she will jump on the anti bandwagon after Saturday's tragedy? By the way, I also live in Kirk Watson's senate district, so I am not sure that I can count on either one to pay much attention to any letter from me.
Sauron lives and his orc minions are on the march. Free people own guns.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”