A SPECIAL CLASS OF "ELITE" CITIZENS--ELECTED OFFICIALS

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CWOOD
Posts in topic: 1

A SPECIAL CLASS OF "ELITE" CITIZENS--ELECTED OFFICIALS

Post by CWOOD »

It is not my purpose to duplicate an ongoing thread, but to call attention to an important new development this session. That is the carving out of "special" status to certain elected officials in the form of exemptions to the CHL laws, just because they are elected officials. Apparently, the lowly status of the great unwashed of us as "ordinary" CHL holders doesn't justify the rest of us having access to these otherwise off limits locations.

There are three (so far) bills introduced which are being more fully discussed here http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=42352 under the title "HB 1463--exempting elected officials from parts of 46.035". PLEASE REFER TO THAT THREAD FOR POSTING AND ADDITIONAL GOOD INFORMATION AND DISCUSSION so we are not running duplicate threads.

The first is, obviously HB 1463 http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB1463 which exempts current and some past legislators and statewide elected officials with a CHL from having to comply with the laws of PC 46.035, such as carrying in a 51% locations, sporting events, etc.

The second is HB 698 http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB698 which exempts school board members and administrators from complying with the current law while at school board meetings.

This third is HB 1530 http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB1530 which exempts county commissioners from complying with current law while attending commissioners court meetings.
While I believe that eliminating these restrictions for CHL's in general is a very good idea, the carving out of special privileges for "elite" citizens in contrary to the spirit of our constitution regarding "of, by, and for the people" and does not advance our 2nd Amendment cause.

I urge you to politely contact your representatives to oppose these bills, two of which were introduced in the last two days, unless they include all CHL's.
Last edited by CWOOD on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Right2Carry
Banned

Re: A SPECIAL CLASS OF "ELITE" CITIZENS--ELECTED OFFICIALS

Post by Right2Carry »

CWOOD wrote:It is not my purpose to duplicate an ongoing thread, but to call attention to an important new development this session. That is the carving out of "special" status to certain elected officials in the form of exemptions to the CHL laws, just because they are elected officials. Apparently, the lowly status of the great unwashed of us as "ordinary" CHL holders doesn't justify the rest of us having access to these otherwise off limits locations.

There are three (so far) bills introduced which are being more fully discussed here[/urlhttp://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... which exempts current and some past legislators and statewide elected officials with a CHL from having to comply with the laws of PC 46.035, such as carrying in a 51% locations, sporting events, etc.

The second is HB 698 http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB698 which exempts school board members and administrators from complying with the current law while at school board meetings.

This third is HB 1530 http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB1530 which exempts county commissioners from complying with current law while attending commissioners court meetings.
While I believe that eliminating these restrictions for CHL's in general is a very good idea, the carving out of special privileges for "elite" citizens in contrary to the spirit of our constitution regarding "of, by, and for the people" and does not advance our 2nd Amendment cause.

I urge you to politely contact your representatives to oppose these bills, two of which were introduced in the last two days, unless the include all CHL's.
:iagree: :hurry: :tiphat:
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

jdhz28

Post by jdhz28 »

:iagree:
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I just sent an email to my state rep, I hope you don't mind I took some of the text from your post as I thought it was appropriate. I modified it slightly:

Subject: HB 1463; HB 698 ; HB 1530

Representative xxxxxx,

Over the past few days I have been learning that several bills have been introduced in the State House this session that seem to be carving out a ''special'' status to certain elected officials in the form of exemptions to the CHL laws, just because they are elected officials. Apparently, the lowly status of us as ''ordinary'' CHL holders doesn't justify the rest of us having access to these otherwise off limits locations.

HB1463 which exempts current and some past legislators and statewide elected officials with a CHL from having to comply with the laws of PC 46.035, such as carrying in a 51% locations, sporting events, etc.

HB698 which exempts school board members and administrators from complying with the current law while at school board meetings.

HB1530 which exempts county commissioners from complying with current law while attending commissioners court meetings.

While I believe that eliminating these restrictions for CHL's in general is a very good idea, the carving out of special privileges for ''elite'' citizens in contrary to the spirit of our constitution regarding ''of, by, and for the people'' and does not advance our 2nd Amendment cause.

I urge you to oppose these bills unless the exceptions apply to all CHL holders.

Thank you for your attention.

Geekwagun
Oak Point
NRA Life Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

If I'm not mistaken the County Commissioners and School board members can just vote themselves the right to carry in their meetings. They don't really need the Legislative permission to do so. I wouldn't trust any County Commissioners court that would arm themselves and disarm me from the same meeting though.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

aardwolf

Post by aardwolf »

Do you remember the 7th Commandment in the book Animal Farm?
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”