Campus carry and 30.06

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
hirundo82
Posts in topic: 3

Campus carry and 30.06

Post by hirundo82 »

A question about the campus carry bills occured to me today:

All the campus carry bills currently allow private institutions to ban carry if they so choose. How would notification of their decision to do so be addressed?

Assuming the the bills aren't changed to specifically address this issue, would carry by emplyees and students be just like it is now with other employers--ie you can be fired, but not charged with a crime unless you were given valid §30.06 notice?

What about people not affiliated with the schools? Would the schools have to provide valid §30.06 notice to prevent those people from carrying?

I'd love to see the private schools that choose to ban carry be forced to advertise it to the world by posting big, ugly §30.06 signs.

Sorry if this has already been addressed; I think I've been following all the campus carry threads and I haven't seen it come up.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Campus carry and 30.06

Post by RHenriksen »

Interesting question. It also struck me today that I wasn't sure if (public) universities could still bar their *employees* from carrying, if campus carry passes.

I read over HB750, and it appears to be pretty global - that universities can't adopt *any* prohibitions against license holders - without any distinction being made between students & employees.

There is a passage about universities being able to adopt rules regarding the storage of firearms in dormitories. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

RHenriksen wrote:Interesting question. It also struck me today that I wasn't sure if (public) universities could still bar their *employees* from carrying, if campus carry passes.

I read over HB750, and it appears to be pretty global - that universities can't adopt *any* prohibitions against license holders - without any distinction being made between students & employees.
I posted in the Dallas news thread:
I'd think that would be covered under the part of the bill prohibiting the schools from adopting "any rule, regulation, or other provision prohibiting license holders from carrying handguns on the campus of the institution."
RHenriksen wrote:There is a passage about universities being able to adopt rules regarding the storage of firearms in dormitories. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
The way that Utah has dealt with that is to allow dorm residents to request a non-CHL as a roomate.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RHenriksen »

hirundo82 wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:There is a passage about universities being able to adopt rules regarding the storage of firearms in dormitories. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
The way that Utah has dealt with that is to allow dorm residents to request a non-CHL as a roomate.
Interesting. That's very sensible... can't say I'm as optimistic about how Texas universities will handle it.

I'd expect something odious, like, firearms must be field stripped, and each part stored in a separate, locked container. All containers must be checked into the dormitory armory by 5:30pm each evening, and can only be checked out between the hours of 7:00am and 9:00am, by the owner. A thumbprint and blood draw (for DNA testing) must be taken at every checkout period.

Three checkin/checkout cycles are permitted per semester.

The hours of the dormitory armory are 11:00am to 1:30pm.

The dormitory armory is closed for all Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and banker's holidays...
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

I seriously doubt that dorm storage will turn out to be an issue that affects many people. I don't think the schools would be allowed to regulate carry in dorms by those who aren't residents, since the bill says they can regulate storage, but nothing about carry.

With the 21 age limit for CHL in general, most of those who carry aren't going to be undergrads, and by the time they are 21 most will probably live off campus anyhow. Same with those who are veterans but are still under 21--I seriously doubt that they will want to live in the dorms after spending a couple of years in the military, and there aren't more than a few hundred active under-21 licenses statewide anyhow (and I suspect most of those are active-duty).

Bart
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bart »

hirundo82 wrote:A question about the campus carry bills occured to me today:

All the campus carry bills currently allow private institutions to ban carry if they so choose. How would notification of their decision to do so be addressed?
It depends what bill passes and the type of private institution. For example, some technical schools don't fall in the named categories in some bills, so they might argue they're still covered by 46.035 with no notice required like a private or public high school.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”