U of H Kidnapping at Gunpoint

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

U of H Kidnapping at Gunpoint

Post by Teamless »

I put this in 2011 Texas Legislative Session as it relates, I think..
(I didn't see this posted elsewhere, but if it is, please delete this thread)
I saw this on ABC13 last night:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=7977173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
University of Houston police are investigating the abduction and armed robbery of a student on campus Thursday afternoon.
Authorities say a student was walking when a man in a vehicle pulled up to her and pointed a gun, ordering her into his vehicle
This is the second robbery to occur at the university campus in just as many weeks.
Of course, more can be read at the link.

But really, do we need Campus Carry? No.... why should we, nothing bad ever happens on campus.
Now those that say, you can carry on the grounds, just not in the buildings, well, unless you want to leave your residence, with a gun, and walk to class... oops, where do you put your gun before going inside the buildings????.....
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Beiruty

Re: U of H Kidnapping at Gunpoint

Post by Beiruty »

You know, Anti says the campuses are "extremely safe"
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

Did you read the whole article? Geez...
This is the second robbery to occur at the university campus in just as many weeks.
On February 15, a student reported that two men had robbed him of his wallet as he walked out of a bathroom on campus. Two suspects were involved in the robbery, and one of them held up a metal object to the student's neck.
Authorities also are investigating a sex assault that occurred at the university's dorms early Thursday morning. A student who lives in the Moody Towers says she was asleep when a suspect entered her room and fondled her. The student awoke during the incident and the suspect immediately fled the room.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

NorthTexas

Post by NorthTexas »

University of Houston police are investigating the abduction and armed robbery of a student on campus Thursday afternoon.
Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. I spent two years at UH, you couldn't pay me enough to go back now.
Teamless wrote: Now those that say, you can carry on the grounds, just not in the buildings, well, unless you want to leave your residence, with a gun, and walk to class... oops, where do you put your gun before going inside the buildings????.....
I have mentioned that we can carry on the grounds in a few other threads. I do want to say, however, that I don't think it's a satisfactory situation and I completely support full campus carry. The reasons I mentioned in other threads that we can carry on the grounds is to show that universities' fears of increased campus shootings are unfounded, as we can already carry on parts of campus and shootings haven't increased, and to highlight misleading statements by university officials that I think are deliberately designed to hide the fact that we can currently carry on parts of campus.

Thanks for posting this article Teamless. :tiphat:
NRA Life Member

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RHenriksen »

A woman was carjacked @ gunpoint, and almost kidnapped as well, in the parking lot of the *law* center on the UH campus when I worked there. Not that that's the only thing, but one of the more dramatic (and ironic) incidents.

I wonder how many of the opposition legislators attended school at UH (in the ghetto), versus central Austin or College Station?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

RoyGBiv wrote:Did you read the whole article? Geez...

.....Authorities also are investigating a sex assault that occurred at the university's dorms early Thursday morning. A student who lives in the Moody Towers says she was asleep when a suspect entered her room and fondled her. The student awoke during the incident and the suspect immediately fled the room.
[/quote]

hmmm....lock the door?

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

Oldgringo wrote:

.....Authorities also are investigating a sex assault that occurred at the university's dorms early Thursday morning. A student who lives in the Moody Towers says she was asleep when a suspect entered her room and fondled her. The student awoke during the incident and the suspect immediately fled the room.
hmmm....lock the door?
yes... of course.. It was the victims fault... Just like every other sexual assault? :banghead:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hirundo82 »

Oldgringo wrote:

hmmm....lock the door?
Like all the UH students one of the local stations interviews said in opposition to the campus carry bill, "Campus is supposed to be a safe place!"
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hirundo82 »

RoyGBiv wrote:yes... of course.. It was the victims fault... Just like every other sexual assault? :banghead:
No, of course it wasn't the victims fault. It is just that taking simple precautions, like locking your door and paying attention to your surroundings, decreases your susceptibility to a wide variety of crimes.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

hirundo82 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:yes... of course.. It was the victims fault... Just like every other sexual assault? :banghead:
No, of course it wasn't the victims fault. It is just that taking simple precautions, like locking your door and paying attention to your surroundings, decreases your susceptibility to a wide variety of crimes.
So does carrying a concealed handgun, and or having said gun in your room with you... and of course, that is the point of this thread... I think.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Texas Size 11

Post by Texas Size 11 »

Beiruty wrote:You know, Anti says the campuses are "extremely safe"
Colleges would like you to believe that as well...I went to Florida State University and saw stats on campus sexual assaults once and was shocked. You don't see that in the "come to school here" literature.
Never pet a burning dog...

Grog

Post by Grog »

Texas Size 11 wrote:
Beiruty wrote:You know, Anti says the campuses are "extremely safe"
Colleges would like you to believe that as well...I went to Florida State University and saw stats on campus sexual assaults once and was shocked. You don't see that in the "come to school here" literature.

You do if you're a sexual predator.

Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I wouldn't assume that the dorm door wasn't locked.

People in the dormitory office (including students working there) have access to keys.
I have no idea about Moody Towers, but the Quad dorm doors are self-locking

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Oldgringo wrote:

hmmm....lock the door?
Yea, everyone knows a criminal would only enter through an unlocked door. :headscratch

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Thanks for posting this.

I went back to a couple articles where comments got centered around the "rarity" of school mass shootings being a reason to deny Campus carry and added:
It isn't just the rare mass shootings which are a problem, it's the weekly armed robberies, armed kidnappings etc

Just a couple examples from the MANY:

U of H (second armed robbery in 2 weeks, and a kidnapping)
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... &status=ok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

San Antonio College (monthly on campus armed robberies)
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Po ... epGgg.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/St ... JcPSQ.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-----------------------
Please Keep colleges safe for robbers and rapists, please continue making licensees store their guns in cars while in class or in the library so there's a better harvest of guns for vehicular burglars than say at Walmart, Shopping Malls, and Church parking lots where those licensees just carry their concealed handguns with them instead of leaving them in cars.

Thank you
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”