HB145 - Firearms Freedom Act

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB145 - Firearms Freedom Act

Post by Dave2 »

McKnife wrote:
The Firearms Freedom Act is similar to legislation passed in other states which says that any firearm, firearms accessories, and ammo made and retained in Texas is not part of the interstate commerce and hence not subject to federal law or regulation.
So, Texas Manufactured firearms (like LaRue) would be exempt from Federal Law & Regulation such as 4473's?? :headscratch
The key phrase there is "and retained". If it's made in TX and sold in TX, then it's not interstate commerce and the feds don't have any authority over it.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

Dave2 wrote:
McKnife wrote:So, Texas Manufactured firearms (like LaRue) would be exempt from Federal Law & Regulation such as 4473's?? :headscratch
The key phrase there is "and retained". If it's made in TX and sold in TX, then it's not interstate commerce and the feds don't have any authority over it.
Building a home-made suppressor for your own use is not commerce, much less interstate commerce. :mrgreen:
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

Don't forget about Bond Arms in Granbury.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

tacticool wrote:Building a home-made suppressor for your own use is not commerce, much less interstate commerce. :mrgreen:
You'd think growing your own wheat for your family and livestock wouldn't be either, huh? The supremes said it is because then you're not buying it from someone else and that affects interstate commerce.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPB »

Bullwhip wrote:
tacticool wrote:Building a home-made suppressor for your own use is not commerce, much less interstate commerce. :mrgreen:
You'd think growing your own wheat for your family and livestock wouldn't be either, huh? The supremes said it is because then you're not buying it from someone else and that affects interstate commerce.
True, they need to get onto those CallyFornian's "growing their own" and affecting "International Trade with Mexico"
They need to send the FDA, INS, CIA, FBI, and BATFE over there and dispose of all that. Maybe the ACLU too.
"rlol" :smilelol5:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The Obamans have no problems with growing marijauana even though it is against federal law. But try selling raw milk or wheat. and they will come down on a farmer like a ton of bricks. He will tolerate a state like California making illegal laws. But he will do what ever he can do break or destroy George W. Bush's home state of church going gunl clingers.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

JJVP wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:I'm all for it, as well as house bill 181 which exempts firearms & ammo from state sales tax.
It only exempts firearms and ammo for a specific time, not permanently. Same as the limited tax exemption for clothing and footware.

Sec.A151.344.AAHANDGUNS, RIFLES, SHOTGUNS, AND AMMUNITION.
The sale of a handgun, a rifle, a shotgun, or ammunition for a
handgun, rifle, or shotgun is exempted from the taxes imposed by
this chapter if the sale takes place during the period described by
Section 151.326(a)(2).

Section 151.326(a)(2)
(2) the sale takes place during a period beginning at 12:01 a.m. on the third Friday in August and ending at 12 midnight on the following Sunday
It sounds like it would include firearms and ammo in the tax free weekend list for Texas. That's a nice touch. The tax free weekend in North Carolina included sporting goods and computers, which would also be a nice addition to the Texas list - if the state could cut spending to reasonable levels.

CJD

Post by CJD »

If Texas-made guns would not be federal jurisdiction (under the proposed bill), does that mean that under 21 but 18+ could buy Texas-made handguns (if there are any I'm not sure)?

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hirundo82 »

CJD wrote:If Texas-made guns would not be federal jurisdiction (under the proposed bill), does that mean that under 21 but 18+ could buy Texas-made handguns (if there are any I'm not sure)?
Under-21 year-olds are already legal to purchase handguns, as long as they aren't purchasing them in interstate commerce (ie from an FFL).
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

CJD

Post by CJD »

Oh well yeah, I was just wondering if FFL were to sell state-made handguns as well if those particular models would be legal to buy from them.

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hirundo82 »

CJD wrote:Oh well yeah, I was just wondering if FFL were to sell state-made handguns as well if those particular models would be legal to buy from them.
An FFL could sell handguns made in the state only if they didn't mind having their license revoked by the ATF at the very least, and very likely serving prison time. If someone set up a business to sell only in-state-made firearms, they would be prosecuted for being in the business of selling firearms without being a licensed dealer.

The bill honestly won't do much in practical or legal terms. The state of Commerce Clause jurisprudence is such that virtually any activity can be regulated even if the goods never cross state lines (see Gonzales v. Raich), and with the court cases against the individual mandate against Obamacare the Obama Administration is trying to argue they can also prohibit your decision to not participate in an activity (in that case to not purchase insurance).
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”