Public Meeting on the Parking Lot Bill

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 17

Re: Public Meeting on the Parking Lot Bill

Post by RPB »

airport guy got into varmits, but best point was southwest airlines people have guns in airport parking lot, same lot that city of Houston employees can't, so guns are already in that lot. depending on whom you work for but he has to drive unarmed to/from work because he works for the wrong group, but in the same parking lot are others with guns who have a different employer..
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

Do we really want to revise the definition of premises in the CHL code as suggested by the NRA rep?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Aggie_engr »

8:18pm, meeting adjourned. The last person testifying in favor of the bill finally mentioned in reference to the chemical company provision, that gasoline pumps also contain an explosive substance yet the carrying of firearms within their proximity is not prohibited.

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Aggie_engr »

jmra wrote:Do we really want to revise the definition of premises in the CHL code as suggested by the NRA rep?
I for one did not understand the confusion over the definition of premises and why it should be changed. :confused5

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

I do a bit of work in these plants, there are very few places where high powered deer rifle would do damage exremely few places that would cause catastrophe. Defencive load hollow point handgun ammunition is almost harmless.

Clue ... Lead and copper don't spark much. pipes are pretty tough and rounded, most vessels are prety thick. a 1/2 inch hole is still a small leak. Not saying thats it a good idea to plink in a chemical plant. Just that blowing up one with handgunfire is pretty near impossible. biggest danger at most plants is sparks. but parking lots aren't near these zones.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

artx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by artx »

So the meeting was adjourned without taking a vote ? (is this common? Couldn't they have taken a vote at the end of discussing the bill?) Anyone have an idea when they will vote?

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Aggie_engr wrote:
jmra wrote:Do we really want to revise the definition of premises in the CHL code as suggested by the NRA rep?
I for one did not understand the confusion over the definition of premises and why it should be changed. :confused5

There's actually several definitions of Premises which could be used

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/d ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Penal Sec. 46.02
(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

Penal Code 46.03
(c) In this section:
(1) "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035.

Sec. 46.035
f) In this section:
(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

but another definition in the Education Code, so either could be used.
Penal Code Sec. 46.11.
(c) In this section:

(1) "Institution of higher education" and "premises" have the meanings assigned by Section 481.134, Health and Safety Code.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/d ... hs.481.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Section 481.134, Health and Safety Code.

Sec. 481.134. DRUG-FREE ZONES. (a) In this section:
(4) "Premises" means real property and all buildings and appurtenances pertaining to the real property.

But I missed the part on what they thought needed doing?
I'm no lawyer

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Liberty wrote:I do a bit of work in these plants, there are very few places where high powered deer rifle would do damage exremely few places that would cause catastrophe. Defencive load hollow point handgun ammunition is almost harmless.

Clue ... Lead and copper don't spark much. pipes are pretty tough and rounded, most vessels are prety thick. a 1/2 inch hole is still a small leak. Not saying thats it a good idea to plink in a chemical plant. Just that blowing up one with handgunfire is pretty near impossible. biggest danger at most plants is sparks. but parking lots aren't near these zones.
Good points, also I wonder ...
I wonder if gasoline STORED in employee's car fuel tanks, being about ten sticks of dynamite per gallon should be prohibited.
Guns stored in the same cars are less dangerous, the explosives in ammo are probably less than the gas unless you have kegs of powder or many cases of ammo in the car.
Last edited by RPB on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

Liberty wrote:I do a bit of work in these plants, there are very few places where high powered deer rifle would do damage exremely few places that would cause catastrophe. Defencive load hollow point handgun ammunition is almost harmless.

Didn't mythbusters on Discovery bust the old things blow when bullets hit them myth. I believe the only way they got ignition with anything was when they used tracers and even then it was hit and miss.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TrueFlog »

No idea where she was headed with that... As for the so-called discrepancy between the concept of "in a vehicle" or "on the premises", that's a total red herring. The definition of premises is clearly called out. The bill states that employers must allow firearms in vehicles, but have discretion about allowing firearms on the premises. The "on the premises" part is no different from current law; it's just in there to reiterate the point. As for the area outside of the car, but not on the premises (the "discrepancy"), the bill says nothing about that. Again, that means no change from the current law. It really doesn't matter how you define "premises", the only area this bill would change is inside a private vehicle. Why is that so hard to understand? (My guess is that the lobbyists are paid to "be confused" by it.)

Anyway, they didn't vote on it tonight. I thought that was the plan - to vote it out tonight...? Is this a bad sign, or was it to be expected considering the time of day?

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I listened to the whole thing, I think every bill had a public hearing today, none got voted on, all seemed to have someone or another who will provide the committee with some more info or details in the morning.

Here's the "process" as I understand it
"Public hearing" (today)
http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/legproc ... mproc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
then next is "Committee reports"
http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/legproc ... eport.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After considering a bill, a committee may choose to take no action or may issue a report on the bill to the house or senate. Committee reports are advisory only and may take several forms. The committee may recommend passage of the bill without amendments, or it may recommend amendments to the bill or even substitute a new bill for the original document.
then it may make it to
"House calendars and list of items eligible for consideration"
http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/legproc ... secal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and so on down the list on the right side of that page

(It's actually pretty amazing that anything ever gets done with all the steps)
I'm no lawyer

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Anyone listening to the Senate Criminal Justice committee meeting today? They were supposed to start at 1:30 and SB 321 is one of the four bills on the agenda.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

hirundo82 wrote:Anyone listening to the Senate Criminal Justice committee meeting today? They were supposed to start at 1:30 and SB 321 is one of the four bills on the agenda.
Yes it's over already. it went well as far as I could tell it had some of the same people testify as yesterday, Committee wasn't as tired and seemed favorable IMHO
Ellis will probably vote against it We need to let the Senators know we need it.
See: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=42745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

If I understood the gobbeldygook that passes for English in those hearings, the bill was reported out of the committee favorably with a vote of 7 ayes and no dissent. Ellis had left the room.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RHenriksen »

Sounds great - if only the House committee could work as fast. I did feel bad for them yesterday, though - long day. I would have felt pretty ground down by the end of all that.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”