CHL fees for veterans

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

CHL fees for veterans

Post by srothstein »

I may have missed it, but has anyone seen HB 1329? I just saw it is scheduled for a hearing in the Homeland Security and Public Safety committee on 3/24. It makes all veterans exempt from paying CHL license fees, not just the ones who apply in their first year after service.
Steve Rothstein

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL fees for veterans

Post by MasterOfNone »

http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

terryg

Post by terryg »

Nice. I like that ...
:patriot:
... this space intentionally left blank ...

ELB

Post by ELB »

I had not seen that either. Thanks for pointing it out.
USAF 1982-2005

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

So THAT's what they'er doing will all the extra income from ex-utah licensees! :smilelol5:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Griz44

Post by Griz44 »

So THAT's what they'er doing will all the extra income from ex-utah licensees!
That's gonna start an argument for sure! :lol:

This is a good thing! I already offer those with service a very deep discount, those with current service ride free.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

As a veteran, I have mixed feelings about this...

As it stands now, I only fork over $35 to renew my Texas CHL...Every 5 years...

Even though I appreciate the idea, I'm ok with the way it is now...The more we keep cutting the fee, I feel the quality and customer service will decline...

I know that is a surface thing to think about, but over the many years we have seen minor to massive delays in the processing of these licenses, I only feel we will see a reasurgence of the problems we have seen in years past...

What did we plateau at for a long time??? about 200,000 CHL'ers...I stand to be corrected, but we are at about 500,000 licensees in this state...

I feel the 300,000+ new folks were a result of other factors in getting them onboard, and the delays were a result of the surge of applications over the last couple of years...

But I am just kinda shooting from the hip here on this...Again, I am ok with the way it is now, and appreciate the offer...

I believe we have a few other things to consentrate on before something like this...

Just my opinion...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

stevie_d_64 wrote:As a veteran, I have mixed feelings about this...

As it stands now, I only fork over $35 to renew my Texas CHL...Every 5 years...

Even though I appreciate the idea, I'm ok with the way it is now...The more we keep cutting the fee, I feel the quality and customer service will decline...
Not a veteran, but I'd rather the state worked on cutting CHL fees for everyone than exempting larger classes of people from paying any fee at all. As far as I know $140 is the highest permit fee in the nation, and along with $50-100 for a required class it can get prohibitively expensive for some people.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

blue

Post by blue »

Excellent! Veterans rejoice! (As it should be.)
:cheers2: :patriot: :txflag:

---------------------
Make it $35, OR LESS, for EVERYONE, WITH NO EXCEPTIONS. (Intial or renew.)
-Then watch CHLers go past 1 million in a hurry.-
Campus/parking would be a whole lot easier with 2X+ as many CHLers on record.

--The whole thing of $140 OR $0 --DEPENDING on WHO your are --is WRONG.--

Kinda solves most ofthe utah thing also. Plus Texas CHL classes would be packed!

Convicts, Secret Clearance, Military, etc., pay NOTHING for prints, background checks.
Plastic I.D. cards really are cheap to make.
A fast typest, or scanner, or online applications, can input many peoples data very fast and low cost.
SO... $140 really is a Insult and disgraceful for Texas to even ask at all.

:txflag:

---------------------

????--Add a amendment to HB1329 - Fees $35 for all new and renews.????

:txflag:

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

hirundo82 wrote:I'd rather the state worked on cutting CHL fees for everyone than exempting larger classes of people from paying any fee at all.
:iagree:

Al Gore can already get a Texas CHL for half the price millions of Texas gun owners have to pay.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MasterOfNone »

tacticool wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:I'd rather the state worked on cutting CHL fees for everyone than exempting larger classes of people from paying any fee at all.
:iagree:

Al Gore can already get a Texas CHL for half the price millions of Texas gun owners have to pay.
But he wouldn't because of the carbon and the heat.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I sorta resent the implications that we vets need the extra help. There are those out there who believe that Veterans aren't as smart or capable as draft dodgers. While those who ETS might need some help getting a career going, Being a vet in itself isn't a lifelong liability.
Wouldn't we better off if we stopped making special classes of people.
Veterans, Indians black people red people. Feminine people, dumb people, smart people, union people, Crippled people. Inner city people, rural people, all looking for a special break for from the gooberment.

The 1 year special break is ok, I understand that, but a lifetime break seems a little overboard.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

jmra

Post by jmra »

Liberty wrote:I sorta resent the implications that we vets need the extra help. There are those out there who believe that Veterans aren't as smart or capable as draft dodgers. While those who ETS might need some help getting a career going, Being a vet in itself isn't a lifelong liability.
Veterans, Indians black people red people. Feminine people, dumb people, smart people, union people, Crippled people. Inner city people, rural people, all looking for a special break for from the gooberment.

The 1 year special break is ok, I understand that, but a lifetime break seems a little overboard.
The reduced fees for Vets are a benefit for services rendered. Well earned IMHO. I have yet to see where anyone has suggested that Vets "need" it.

I am also a Vet. I have never considered myself as being part of a special class of people, nor do I ever feel that I have been treated that way.

I don't see how anyone could equate Vet benefits with food stamps, Medicaid, or Welfare.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

stevie_d_64 wrote:..The more we keep cutting the fee, I feel the quality and customer service will decline...

I know that is a surface thing to think about, but over the many years we have seen minor to massive delays in the processing of these licenses, I only feel we will see a resurgence of the problems we have seen in years past...
In my opinion, the customer service issues, delays, and problems are a result of having it all centralized in a government bureaucracy in Austin.

If you had County Sheriff's issue the license, subject to meeting the standards for background checks, and let the sheriff keep the fees, you would have better service as well as a local accountability to the voters.

Face it, less bureaucratized and more local government services are usually a better approach.

For example. my Ohio license was issued by my Ohio county sheriff in one business day.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

jmra wrote:
Liberty wrote:I sorta resent the implications that we vets need the extra help. There are those out there who believe that Veterans aren't as smart or capable as draft dodgers. While those who ETS might need some help getting a career going, Being a vet in itself isn't a lifelong liability.

The reduced fees for Vets are a benefit for services rendered. Well earned IMHO. I have yet to see where anyone has suggested that Vets "need" it.

I am also a Vet. I have never considered myself as being part of a special class of people, nor do I ever feel that I have been treated that way.

I don't see how anyone could equate Vet benefits with food stamps, Medicaid, or Welfare.
:iagree: I see it more as a "Thank You" to those of us that served rather than a hand out.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member
Do or do not, there is no try.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”