HB 698

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 3

HB 698

Post by Jasonw560 »

Here's one I find interesting, since my wife is in education:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... navpanes=0

If this has been brought up before, mea culpa.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Re: HB 698

Post by A-R »

My opinion: This is a stupid bill that only grants CC privileges to school board members and superintendents. Obviously a reaction to the guy who shot up a school board meeting last year (in Florida I think).

How about we allow ALL licensed individuals to carry guns not only at school board meetings but AT SCHOOLS. For that matter, all licensed individuals should be able to carry their guns anywhere in Texas.

I don't like any laws that extend super-secret-special-privileges only to a select few elites in society.

CJD
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CJD »

austinrealtor wrote:My opinion: This is a stupid bill that only grants CC privileges to school board members and superintendents. Obviously a reaction to the guy who shot up a school board meeting last year (in Florida I think).

How about we allow ALL licensed individuals to carry guns not only at school board meetings but AT SCHOOLS. For that matter, all licensed individuals should be able to carry their guns anywhere in Texas.

I don't like any laws that extend super-secret-special-privileges only to a select few elites in society.
Agreed

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

austinrealtor wrote:My opinion: This is a stupid bill that only grants CC privileges to school board members and superintendents. Obviously a reaction to the guy who shot up a school board meeting last year (in Florida I think).

I kinda expressed that in phone calls yesterday...

"Please don't allow 'mini-dictatorships' to disarm the populace who needs to defend themselves since all schools which currently do not opt-IN ... always FAIL in protecting us."
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

I was thinking about appealing to our school board with the "opt in" clause of our own laws, and the Fed. Gov't. about CHL.

More later...my boys are getting meaningful awards for making the honor roll.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Topic author
Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Okay, i look at this as a foot in the door. Most school boards are made up of parents. Perhaps some of these scholl board members are gun people. They can calm the fears of the anti- crowd.

Maybe you know one of them through church, or civic organization, or something lke that. This could be a good dialog--something that is revered in both government and education. This would be a god time to calmly and rationally state your position.

You could, if they aren't gun people, offer to help em choose a firearm, and a chl class.

Try starting off with requesting an informal meeting with one of the members. Email them as a parent and let them know that your first priority and theirs are the same....our children's safety. Tell them you're concerned and have some ideas.

Once they have the gist and the fact that gun people aren't nuts, they're more likely to talk to the other members. Then talk about what you need to do to get things going in the district to carry.

snorri

Post by snorri »

If school board members are allowed to carry, then the taxpayers should also be allowed to carry.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Post by A-R »

If school board members want to carry, I believe they can just vote to allow CHL in their district ... Don't need a new state law to do so. Of course, they may ONLY be allowed to vote straight up yes/no for ALL CHL, not just their exclusive club ... which may be why they're not doing it.

jmra

Post by jmra »

austinrealtor wrote:If school board members want to carry, I believe they can just vote to allow CHL in their district ... Don't need a new state law to do so. Of course, they may ONLY be allowed to vote straight up yes/no for ALL CHL, not just their exclusive club ... which may be why they're not doing it.
With the current budget cuts school security officers will be one of the hardest hit. I think as these cuts are made ISD's are going to have to take a harder look at CHL. With fewer officers and higher student to teacher ratios, security is going to become a major concern of both employees and parents.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

austinrealtor wrote:If school board members want to carry, I believe they can just vote to allow CHL in their district ... Don't need a new state law to do so. Of course, they may ONLY be allowed to vote straight up yes/no for ALL CHL, not just their exclusive club ... which may be why they're not doing it.
I think they can authorize anybody that they want to carry without having to authorize all CHLs. §46.03 says that carry on school premises is illegal "unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;" I don't see why they couldn't write a regulation saying that only school board members and administrators can carry.

I suspect strongly (but have no direct knowledge) there are already a few higher-up college administrators who are authorized to carry but those cases wouldn't be publicized.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”