What's going on with the House Calendars Committee?

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

What's going on with the House Calendars Committee?

Post by baldeagle »

The minutes were finally posted for yesterday's meeting. Three bills were considered; SB 18, HB 1808 and HB 2271. No mention of the employee parking lot bill. No mention of the campus carry bill. No mention of the range protection bill.

Are we going to regret having Strauss as Speaker again? Charles? Do we have any hope of these bills making it to the floor for debate and a vote?
Last edited by baldeagle on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

¿Qué?

Re: What's going on with the House Calendars Committee?

Post by ¿Qué? »

baldeagle wrote:No mention of the employee parking lot bill. No mention of the campus carry bill. No mention of the range protection bill.

Are we going to regret having Strauss as Speaker again?
Did the regret ever stop?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

¿Qué? wrote:
baldeagle wrote:No mention of the employee parking lot bill. No mention of the campus carry bill. No mention of the range protection bill.

????????????

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
¿Qué? wrote:

????????????
For whatever reason, it is widely believed among some conservatives that Strauss was behind the delays in Calendars in the last session that effectively killed campus carry and the parking lot bills. For that reason, some conservatives don't trust him. I think the jury is still out, but this session will show, once and for all, if he really stands for conservative principles or is simply another lip service politician.

Let's face it. If the Speaker wants something to come out of Calendars, it's going to come out. If he doesn't it wont, and if he couldn't care one way or the other, it will depend on what the members want.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

baldeagle wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
¿Qué? wrote:

????????????
For whatever reason, it is widely believed among some conservatives that Strauss was behind the delays in Calendars in the last session that effectively killed campus carry and the parking lot bills. For that reason, some conservatives don't trust him. I think the jury is still out, but this session will show, once and for all, if he really stands for conservative principles or is simply another lip service politician.

Let's face it. If the Speaker wants something to come out of Calendars, it's going to come out.
I think his true colors are shining through.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

What if they're waiting to get it through in the 11th hour? Or they're seeing what SB354 does before it goes through?
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPB »

timing could end up being fun to watch

Say all gun bills calendared on same day

all pass

all sent to Senate on same day ...

Senate would look like
:thewave

except a couple would be

:grumble :bigmouth :eek6 :grumble :cryin

And I'd be
"rlol"

Then they'd just have to pick which version to pass ..

:headscratch Lets see... guns on campus with immunity, or guns on campus without immunity ...

If someone brings a boat/jetski/kayak to campus, and guns are allowed in the car and boat ... what if UT rowing team wants bazookas?
:smilelol5:
(rowing teams almost run into kayakers and don't care where your fishing line is... because rowing teams face backwards... they aren't the kayak fishermen students favorites to see coming)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

RPB wrote:timing could end up being fun to watch

Say all gun bills calendared on same day

all pass

all sent to Senate on same day ...

Senate would look like
:thewave

except a couple would be

:grumble :bigmouth :eek6 :grumble :cryin

And I'd be
"rlol"

Then they'd just have to pick which version to pass ..

:headscratch Lets see... guns on campus with immunity, or guns on campus without immunity ...

If someone brings a boat/jetski/kayak to campus, and guns are allowed in the car and boat ... what if UT rowing team wants bazookas?
:smilelol5:
(rowing teams almost run into kayakers and don't care where your fishing line is... because rowing teams face backwards... they aren't the kayak fishermen students favorites to see coming)
Yeah, I can see that happening with all the anti-s going :grouphug (actually conferring, not hugging) about this predicament.

I know I would be :thewave and then :party:
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

RPB wrote: :headscratch Lets see... guns on campus with immunity, or guns on campus without immunity ...
Based on how much the colleges have opposed campus carry, I say pass the one without immunity. They had a chance to get on board in exchange for immunity but they don't deserve it now.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”