SB354 04-18 Senate session video

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Teamless
Posts in topic: 13

Re: SB354 04-18 Senate session video

Post by Teamless »

And the bill passed - for the hospital district in El Paso to get a police force for itself
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 26

Post by RPB »

sb 838 drunk driving stiffer penalties passes
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by RHenriksen »

One last bill... http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 00838I.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People who blow double the intoxicated limit will face a class A misdemeanor instead of class B misdemeanor.

Passes.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Teamless
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Teamless »

and after that, they voted themselves a 4 day weekend (If I understood the resolution properly)..
Can I vote myself a 4 day weekend and STILL not do all my work?
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

Teamless wrote:and after that, they voted themselves a 4 day weekend (If I understood the resolution properly)..
Can I vote myself a 4 day weekend and STILL not do all my work?
NO! :cheers2:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

DFWTT
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DFWTT »

:blowup

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

So what number on the list of intent does that leave this bill now? :banghead:

Coogan

Post by Coogan »

The bills in the "Notice of Intent" are not taken up in any particular order. They are brought to the floor when the sponsoring Senator has the number of votes needed to meet the two-thirds rule to suspend the regular order of business.

This bill is not going to be brought to the floor unless Sen. Wentworth can get one more vote to meet the two-thirds rule, or an opponent senator is absent from the session, and then Sen. Wentworth would only need 20 votes.

The only way around this that I am aware of is if they were able to get SB 354 listed at the top of the regular order of business. Then there would not be any reason to "suspend the rules". The presiding officer (Dewhurst) could take up the regular order of business without needing to meet the two-thirds requirement. I see this option as an extreme long-shot.

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Jasonw560 »

Charles alluded to something going on that he can't talk about. Charles, can you let us in on the status of things? DO they still look good?

I have a feeling that SB 354 is going to pass, and how it does is gonna be big.

Or, it might be gas.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Jasonw560 wrote:Charles alluded to something going on that he can't talk about. Charles, can you let us in on the status of things? DO they still look good?

I have a feeling that SB 354 is going to pass, and how it does is gonna be big.

Or, it might be gas.
Johns Woodheads read this forum ... I know ... I read their tweets ... twitters ... whatever :smilelol5:
I'm no lawyer

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Yeah, I heard a rumor that they read this form. Glad to see that students are free to protest, if need be, instead of in class trying to obtain some critical thinking skills. :thumbs2:

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

mmmmm yes they read it,

I'm watching a Public hearing in a House committee which just started, ...
8:30 a.m. Thursday April 21, 2011
You may want to also

"Anything not reached, may be heard Tuesday"
See http://twitter.com/#!/sgfstexas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 108301.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Public hearing on HB 2178 Another guns on campus bill. House Public Safety, 8:30am Thurs.
Talking about fireworks sales now ...
Full house meets at 9:00 .... committee in recess until ... Committee will make an announcement from the Floor of the House

Funny, my family's doctor is "Doctor of the Day" in the House today .. My sister-in-law just saw him yesterday afternoon
viewtopic.php?f=110&t=44291&start=60#p536840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He grew up down the road from my dad, took care of my mom prior to her death (and dad's too later)
He's the only one I've really seen since 1990 (pretty sure he knows I carry)
:shock: That's the Speaker of the House's brother in law?

I knew my family lawyer was a former Representative, didn't know my doctor was related to one :lol:
I'm no lawyer

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

RPB wrote:Public hearing on HB 2178 Another guns on campus bill. House Public Safety, 8:30am Thurs.
It's a decriminalization bill--it provides an exception to §46.03 for CHL holders carrying on college premises, without the prohibition on colleges making their own regulations prohibiting carry. If it's all we can get this session it's a good start as far as I'm concerned, especially since §30.06 notice would presumably be invalid at public colleges (as with all other government property).
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

hirundo82 wrote:
RPB wrote:Public hearing on HB 2178 Another guns on campus bill. House Public Safety, 8:30am Thurs.
It's a decriminalization bill--it provides an exception to §46.03 for CHL holders carrying on college premises, without the prohibition on colleges making their own regulations prohibiting carry. If it's all we can get this session it's a good start as far as I'm concerned, especially since §30.06 notice would presumably be invalid at public colleges (as with all other government property).
Yep

It would make us like the MAJORITY of States which do not make it a criminal offense. Similar to Virginia Tech was, where it wasn't ILLEGAL, but colleges could set policy to expel you if they see your "invisible gun" and, like the MAJORITY the other 27 or so States, where it is ALLOWED (NOT ILLEGAL) and would bring Texas out of the disgraceful minority of States purportedly believing that signs stop evil doers, when in fact it makes armed robbery safer on campus for criminals.

I personally would be thrilled if it's all we got, anything else is icing.
I give "legally non-enforceable" signs the respect they deserve based upon risk/benefit. See attached.

Anyone else "speed-listening" to the House today? "rlol"
Wonder what the total number of bills passed today will be.
Be nice if Senate moved "everything else" out of the way that fast.

This will open up/clear out some of the HOUSE Calendar for more stuff to be added soon... hint hint.

HB 2538 just passed Relating to the confidentiality of certain identifying information regarding students of career schools or colleges and other educational entities; providing a criminal penalty.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 02538H.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(2) "Student information" means identifying
information in the commission's possession regarding a student.
The term includes:
(A) a student's name, address, telephone number,
social security number, e-mail address, or date of birth;
(B) any other identifying number or other
information that
foreseeably could be combined with other publicly
available information to reveal identifying information regarding
the student; and ...
TDL...CHL ...
Think --->"Check in at the front desk at the Dorm" ...
Think "Campus Police Dept"
(Employees of the University affected by HB 2538 above)

Govt code Sec. 411.192. CONFIDENTIALITY OF RECORDS.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... GV.411.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(a) The department shall disclose to a criminal justice agency information contained in its files and records regarding whether a named individual or any individual named in a specified list is licensed under this subchapter. Information on an individual subject to disclosure under this section includes the individual's name, date of birth, gender, race, zip code, telephone number, e-mail address, and Internet website address.
Granted, HB 2538 doesn't cover Staff/Faculty- Employees with a CHL... but Employment law may
Attachments
3882717621.jpg
I'm no lawyer

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Can't watch. Wife stayed home to clean house for Easter, since the housekeeper coldn't come this week. Been doing that kind of stuff.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”