SB354 04-18 Senate session video

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 26

Re: SB354 04-18 Senate session video

Post by RPB »

cssb 1086 passed to engrossment dept agriculture

cssb 860 El paso hiring doctors/ dentists passes

csSB 1134 now issuing permits environmental something at oil/gas sites passed

cssb 1300 now insurance motor vehicle .... pro-claimant ... for repairs of vehicle passed

cssb 1217 stopping false reporting of emergency before digging
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Teamless
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Teamless »

well, as they are making general announcements and are talking about closing for the day, I guess another day goes by without any forward movement on this...

While I know they don't get paid a whole lot, but are obviously making money elsewhere to be able to afford to work in our Senate, I just dont understand what they do.

oh.. and now they are Adjourned until 11am tomorrow
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

A-R
Posts in topic: 5

Post by A-R »

Teamless wrote:don't get paid a whole lot
I think they get paid TOO MUCH for a job they only work a few months every OTHER year, and then only have to show up for official "meetings" for about four hours per day for those few days they're actually working.

spare me the "but they work outside the Capitol, back in their districts nonsense too. what little they do outside that chamber is mostly done by their unpaid or low-paid assistants and interns, and the rest amounts to little more than constant campaigning ... and since no one pays me to send resumes and apply for jobs and go on job interviews, they don't deserve pay for their "campaigning" for a job

Teamless
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Teamless »

austinrealtor wrote:I think they get paid TOO MUCH
If we were talking about the US Senators I would agree totally, but the State Senators get I believe $600 per month to do that job, and even if they worked ONLY 4 hours per day and say 20 days per month, that is still only $7.50/hr, which is pretty low
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

Add what they get in perks, bribes, speaking fees, book deals, consulting fees, bribes, allowances, per-deim, bribes, expenses, etc., I'm sure they'er not hurting.

(Did I mention bribes? :lol: ) :txflag:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

A-R

Post by A-R »

Teamless wrote:
austinrealtor wrote:I think they get paid TOO MUCH
If we were talking about the US Senators I would agree totally, but the State Senators get I believe $600 per month to do that job, and even if they worked ONLY 4 hours per day and say 20 days per month, that is still only $7.50/hr, which is pretty low
but do they only get paid during the session? Or do they get $600 per month every month = $7,200 per year = $14,400 bi annually .... and they work what, 120 days biannually? That's $120 per day .... but since they only work 4 hours per day, it's actually $30 per hour ....

And for the results of their performance? I think $7.50 per hour and a paper hat is more appropriate.

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TrueFlog »

$32,320 total for a two year term. That's $600/mo * 24 months + $128/day * 140 days. I checked his numbers against several other sources, and they're all in agreement. Keep in mind that we don't know how many hours they actually work outside of the Captiol building, and I doubt they wind up taking home much of the $128 per diem unless they own property in Austin. Also, many of them spend significant amounts of their personal money during their campaign every other year.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

TrueFlog wrote:$32,320 total for a two year term. That's $600/mo * 24 months + $128/day * 140 days. I checked his numbers against several other sources, and they're all in agreement. Keep in mind that we don't know how many hours they actually work outside of the Captiol building, and I doubt they wind up taking home much of the $128 per diem unless they own property in Austin. Also, many of them spend significant amounts of their personal money during their campaign every other year.
So, if I am elected a TX senator, how can I support a family of 4 on $16k per yr? :headscratch
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

Teamless wrote:well, as they are making general announcements and are talking about closing for the day, I guess another day goes by without any forward movement on this...
Remember on election day.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Beiruty wrote:So, if I am elected a TX senator, how can I support a family of 4 on $16k per yr? :headscratch
By finding gainful employment for the other 600+ days every two years that you're NOT serving the people of Texas?

I'm sure 99.9% of Texas legislators do just fine.

GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

So is it a deliberate stall? Can the supposed progun folks push it? Can the governor use his bully pulpit (recall he could have pushed it early on)?

What's the take on this.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Most of the legislatures work pretty long hours during the session.
The money is made by lawyers who have huge rertainer fees to by those in the district that litterly pay for an ear into the legislature.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Jasonw560 »

Senate in session now. Working, can't get the feed. This bill was #40 in line yesterday, up to #34 today. Guess it's at #34 with a bullet... :cool:
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Topic author
RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by RHenriksen »

Any update? I can't watch the video feed right now...
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

TexasAggie09

Post by TexasAggie09 »

Any updates yall?
Taurus Model 82 .38 Special
Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro
CZ 75 B 9mm
Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special