NEW CALL TO ACTION: Campus Carry

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

johnferg69
Posts in topic: 4

Re: NEW CALL TO ACTION: Campus Carry

Post by johnferg69 »

With the up coming redistricting I'm sorta dual represented. Covered both ways, Pitts and Gooden! I'm glad I got strong 2A reps and senator! So glad Gooden beat out Betty Brown, never had a reps office CALL ME before till he took office! :hurry:

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 19

Post by RPB »

Twitter is alive on the other side "rlol"
CSGV CSGV
#Texas residents! Keep calls coming to #TX House to defeat guns on campus bill! #Highered #p2 #peace http://fb.me/KVDv458i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1 hour ago
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RHenriksen »

Done, done, and done.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jasonw560 »

My video feed went kaput.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Jasonw560 wrote:My video feed went kaput.
Sometimes "Replay" works
Other times I had to ctrl alt del or Start run taskmgr ... kill process realsched /realplay and re download the file to reconnect

I hate Realplayer, I remove tkbell from startup daily (realsched)
I'm no lawyer

DEB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DEB »

From my representative, Jimmie Don Aycock:

DISTRICT 54 UPDATE

The Office of Representative Jimmie Don Aycock

Greetings Friends, Constituents and Supporters:
Today, I voted to remove a controversial amendment, known as the "Guns on Campus" amendment, from an appropriations bill. The amendment would have allowed concealed handguns to be carried on college campuses.
While I strongly support 2nd amendment rights, I do not believe this is an issue that should have been attached to an appropriations bill. I have received phone calls from constituents in District 54 and across the state urging me to oppose this measure.
For those of you who support "Guns on Campus", please know I understand your concerns, and my decision to vote "no" was not taken lightly.

Thank you for your time and interest. If I may be of any assistance, please contact me or my staff at either our Capitol or District office. Our District Phone is (254)690-1752. Our Capitol office is located in the extension: E2.710 Mailing address: P. O. Box 2910, Austin, TX 78768. Phone (512) 463-0684. You can also email me at District54.Aycock@house.state.tx.us

Another pro-2nd amendment congressman. Thanks there Jimmie Don for being such a strong supporter of 2nd amendment rights, Bah!!! Gosh, I hope he isn't pro something else I believe in. With friends like this who needs enemies...I know this is in the area of call to action, if it is in the wrong area please remove and accept my apologies . Thanks.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Dear . _____________:

Thank you for writing to express your support for legislation that would allow Texans to carry concealed handguns on college campuses. I value the opinions of all Texans, especially concerning important issues of individual liberty.

Several members of the 82nd Legislature have filed bills on this topic, including House Bill 750 by Representative Joe Driver and Senate Bill 354 by Senator Jeff Wentworth. HB 750 was passed by the House Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety and then sent to the House Committee on Calendars to be considered for debate by the full House. The deadline for House bills to be scheduled for debate on the floor was May 10, 2011. HB 750 was not placed on a calendar prior to that deadline, so it will not receive further consideration during the 82nd Legislative Session.

SB 354 was included as an amendment to another bill, SB 1581 by Senator Steve Ogden, which passed the Senate on May 9, 2011. The bill has been referred to the House Committee on Appropriations and is scheduled for consideration in a formal meeting on May 13, 2011.

As Speaker, it is my duty to preside over the other 149 members of the Texas House of Representatives so I rarely vote and do not personally carry legislation; however, I will keep your comments in mind should SB 1581 come before the full House.

I encourage you to track the progress of SB 1581 by visiting Texas Legislature Online at http://www.capitol.state.tx.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or by calling the Texas Bill Status Hotline at 1-877-824-7038. The website includes My TLO, a helpful tool that allows you to track the status of particular bills by creating custom watch lists. You can also receive alerts when significant actions are taken on the bills in which you have an interest.

Again, thank you for writing. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,
Joe Straus
Speaker
I'm no lawyer

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

It is important to contact Joe Strauss now.
I'm no lawyer

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hirundo82 »

DISTRICT 54 UPDATE

Today, I voted to remove a controversial amendment, known as the "Guns on Campus" amendment, from an appropriations bill. The amendment would have allowed concealed handguns to be carried on college campuses.
Isn't it the Woodheads who refer to it as "Guns on Campus"? I've never heard supporters refer to it as anything other than "campus carry."
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

hirundo82 wrote:
DISTRICT 54 UPDATE

Isn't it the Woodheads who refer to it as "Guns on Campus"? I've never heard supporters refer to it as anything other than "campus carry."
They hear it 200 times in a row from Woodheads/Goddards' possum players/Andy Pelosi the other Pied Piper & out of State Democrats they tweet ...on the phone, and got brainwashed since it was easier to say than "the Campus Carry Amendment language Wentworth added to SB 1581"
I'm no lawyer

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jasonw560 »

It also sounds more ominous. "Concealed Carry" could mean anything. They want it to sound bad.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Sen. Aycock wrote:Today, I voted to remove a controversial amendment, known as the "Guns on Campus" amendment, from an appropriations bill. The amendment would have allowed concealed handguns to be carried on college campuses.
Someone who supported this measure would not have called it controversial or "guns on campus" as his only choice of identifiers. This isn't about it being on an appropriations bill for him. I'd much rather Zaffarini where you know what you've got and where she stands than this kind of ridiculousness.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RHenriksen »

Hoi Polloi wrote:
Sen. Aycock wrote:Today, I voted to remove a controversial amendment, known as the "Guns on Campus" amendment, from an appropriations bill. The amendment would have allowed concealed handguns to be carried on college campuses.
Someone who supported this measure would not have called it controversial or "guns on campus" as his only choice of identifiers. This isn't about it being on an appropriations bill for him. I'd much rather Zaffarini where you know what you've got and where she stands than this kind of ridiculousness.
Well said.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

DEB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DEB »

I am mostly a one issue voter and that is the reestablishment of our 2nd Amendment rights. Also, usually those who I feel support my views concerning the 2nd also fall into my way of thinking concerning most if not all of the other issues. But now, I am starting to feel that this is a party directed stance. I have written John Carter on my thoughts concerning ACOE property and received a decidedly anti-carry message. I have now received my previous message from Jimmie Don Aycock and he is backing away from furthering the 2nd Amendment. They just want to hold the line at status quo. We need to hold these folks accountable, how? I don't know. Perhaps they feel that with them running on the Republican ticket they will always be shoe ins. I cannot and will not vote for anything on the liberal/democratic ticket. Hopefully someone will run against these partial conservatives, so that I can vote them out. Maybe we can call the Republican Party Chairman, Steve Munisteri and express our displeasure. I attended several grassroots meetings and it was always promised that the 2nd would be one of their priorities. I am disappointed...
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

RHenriksen wrote:
Hoi Polloi wrote:
Well said.
I agree. I'm really tired of the "I was for it before I was against it" mumbo jumbo. Of course, if they really came out and said what they believed and why the voted or didn't vote for real, they would probably be ridden out of town on a rail.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”