HB 3639 - SB 1581

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 4

Re: HB 3639 - SB 1581

Post by BrianSW99 »

apostate wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:My main thought about 2013 campus carry is to frame it more in terms of deterrence/prevention of general violent crime, both on an off campus, versus focusing on the mass shooting/Va Tech scenario. The other side appeared to be successful in framing the issue as "making the campus safer" and pointing out that mass shootings are rare. The point is to make individuals safer (or at least give them the choice). The "campus" is just a geographical abstraction.
When you listen to the testimony at the committee hearings, that's what we did.

By and large, the testimony for HB 750 and SB 354 talked about street crime. We explained that criminals cross property lines, so we need the ability to protect ourselves on both sides of the line. We talked about walking to our cars late at night, after class or study sessions. We talked about people who live nearby and walk or bicycle to campus, and are disarmed during their entire commute. We talked about people who rely on public transportation and are likewise at risk during their entire commute, including their time waiting alone at a bus stop. All because of an unnecessary law with no proven benefit.

The testimony against HB 750 and SB 354 was the broken record of mass shootings and their rarity. It was John Woods and his one-trick-pony brigade that focused on Virginia Tech. They would occasionally mention Charles Whitman, and one or two may have said Walt Whitman, but the bulk of their arguments against HB 750 and SB 354 were (1) VT and (2) their fear of civil rights.

In short, our testimony was about being safe whereas their testimony was about feeling safe.
That's in the testimony, but I think in general, the argument that was publicly put forth the most by those in favor of campus carry has been that it will make campuses safer by being able to stop active shooters. That's also what Sen. Wentworth concentrated on when arguing for it in the Senate.

hobbes
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hobbes »

I found it more than a little ironic to open the paper this afternoon and see that the house tacked a statewide smoking ban as an amendment to a fiscal bill. Yet campus carry was ruled out of order in that scenario!

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by RHenriksen »

hobbes wrote:I found it more than a little ironic to open the paper this afternoon and see that the house tacked a statewide smoking ban as an amendment to a fiscal bill. Yet campus carry was ruled out of order in that scenario!
I noticed that, too.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Ameer
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Ameer »

That's because they don't care about the rules. They care about keeping college students unarmed so there can be more muggings, rapes and other violence on campus. I don't know why they like innocent victims to suffer, but their votes are proof they do.

Hey. Hey.

Ho. Ho.

Straus and Friends have got to go!
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 128

Post by RPB »

ok now this is almost funny... in the House minutes ago
Aycock wants to delay SB1581 -- education fiscal matters -- until 8 p.m.
@quorumreport: Looks like we may be postponing SB 1581 to 8 p.m.
At least 68 amendments on SB 1581.
postponed until 8 p.m. today.

Turner: "I don't want to get us to 12, 1 o'clock at night, and get into a rush, and cut off discussion" on SB 1581.

Aycock and Turner arguing now

Rep. Aycock says he will not speculate on whether the debate will start at 8 pm or be pushed back again. He says it depends on negotiations.

Turner-Most important bill of session after Budget.Funding

Worried about Changing the school formula :mrgreen: (de-fund them I say !!! lol )

Postponed ... over Turner's objection to postpone :lol: Turner deserves to sweat some now.
RepJoeDeshotel Joe Deshotel
Don't be surprised if SB 1581 never comes up. The conference comm can add parts they want to 1811 through a privileged resolution. #txlege
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 128

Post by RPB »

SB 1581 killed by Davis on POO this time, even without campuscarry
LOTS of Representatives has "other subject" Amendments they wanted to add ... class sizes, special "gifts" for each one's own ISD in their district etc ...
Davis killed it anyway

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-educa ... l-finance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 56

Post by Jasonw560 »

Perhaps someone had campus carry as an amendment again, and they could claim that if these other "non-germane" things were in there, then why not self-protection of certain people on campus?
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

clarionite
Posts in topic: 5

Post by clarionite »

Jasonw560 wrote:We are protecting our rights, and giving people a choice as to protect themselves or not. If they want to be victims, more power to them. I will buy them one of these:
victim.jpg

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power."

Ben Franklin in Poor Richard's Almanack (1738)

It's as true today as it was then.

blackB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by blackB »

Good for the HB 3639 that it was passed easily. Two measures intended to manage the payday lending industry were approved by the Texas Senate for the first time on Monday. Reactions to the suggested legislation have been mixed. Some say it is good for now, while others believe it does not go far enough. Limited payday-lending regulation bills passed by Texas Senate, personalmoneystore.com/moneyblog. Whatever the outcome is, its for the benefit of many people and not just for one.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”