HB 3639 - SB 1581

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 19

Re: HB 3639 - SB 1581

Post by hirundo82 »

RHenriksen wrote:Any feasible way to lose the2/3 rule?
It looks like it would only require a majority vote--see p.113 here (Senate Rule 21.01).
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MasterOfNone »

It would probably require a 2/3 vote to remove the 2/3 rule.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Yes, and I offered it earlier. The Republicans hold the majority. All they had to do was tell the Democrats, either you vote to suspend the rules on campus carry or we will vote NOT to suspend the rules on every bill you offer until you DO vote to suspend the rules. But the Republicans didn't care about campus carry enough to put themselves on the line for it. For them it was a nice-to-have-but-not-totally-necessary issue.

That is what has me disgusted beyond belief. They believe they should be allowed to carry anywhere, yet we should not. That is the worst form of elitism, and they should all be voted out of office for it.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Sen. Wentworth is neither. The result would have been the same if SB5 have passed with campus-carry. The core germane rule was not the problem; the problem is the House rule against two totally different subject matters in the same bill. Although some portions of campus-carry were germane, it required extensive amendments to the Penal Code as well as amendments to Chp. 411 of the Gov't Code. Folks, when the two Senators went back on their word and didn't support suspending the rules to bring up SB354, then everything thereafter was Plan B, Plan C, . . .
Then Senator Wentworth is the worst kind of cynic. He never should have amended SB 5 and SB 1581 if he KNEW they would never make it through the House. He should have admitted defeat or continued to work to get the 21 votes.

Some are saying we'll go at it again in 2013. Why? What's the point of continually beating your head against the wall? Either we throw the bums out or forget trying to get our freedoms back.

Some have cried for open carry and Constitutional carry. Good luck with that. We can't even get common sense carry.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

hombre gris
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hombre gris »

baldeagle wrote:
That is what has me disgusted beyond belief. They believe they should be allowed to carry anywhere, yet we should not. That is the worst form of elitism, and they should all be voted out of office for it.
I couldn't agree with you more. This election I'm not voting for ANY incumbents, just like I did last election.

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by der Teufel »

Well, it's frustrating but I'm not sure I want to automatically throw out the incumbent without knowing who the alternative is. I'm in Wentworth's district, and I'm inclined to keep him. I think he did his best, given the framework of rules in which he had to work. I believe he'll continue to try accomplish the things we all want, the freedom to exercise our 2nd amendment rights.

Before I consider voting for someone else, they're going to have to do a LOT of convincing as to how they could do better.

Those who have other senators and representatives may feel differently.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

megs
Posts in topic: 5

Post by megs »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'm not the least bit happy about the result, but everyone knows the Texas budget is in horrible shape, including spending on education.
Considering the administrators' stance against our rights, one thin dime from our taxes is too much.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

baldeagle wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Sen. Wentworth is neither. The result would have been the same if SB5 have passed with campus-carry. The core germane rule was not the problem; the problem is the House rule against two totally different subject matters in the same bill. Although some portions of campus-carry were germane, it required extensive amendments to the Penal Code as well as amendments to Chp. 411 of the Gov't Code. Folks, when the two Senators went back on their word and didn't support suspending the rules to bring up SB354, then everything thereafter was Plan B, Plan C, . . .
Then Senator Wentworth is the worst kind of cynic. He never should have amended SB 5 and SB 1581 if he KNEW they would never make it through the House. He should have admitted defeat or continued to work to get the 21 votes.
I understand you are upset with the outcome; so am I. But you don't have a clue what you are saying or what else was being attempted. It was not a dead issue when campus-carry was as added to SB5 or SB1581. An attempt was made to make it work, but it failed. This happened to us last session when Tommy Merritt was chairman of the House Public Safety Committee. We had to add things to the DPS sunset bill to get them passed.

Sen. Wentworth has been a strong supporter of gun owners and he's been a champion of campus-carry for two sessions.

Chas.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by RHenriksen »

der Teufel wrote:Well, it's frustrating but I'm not sure I want to automatically throw out the incumbent without knowing who the alternative is. I'm in Wentworth's district, and I'm inclined to keep him. I think he did his best, given the framework of rules in which he had to work. I believe he'll continue to try accomplish the things we all want, the freedom to exercise our 2nd amendment rights.

Before I consider voting for someone else, they're going to have to do a LOT of convincing as to how they could do better.

Those who have other senators and representatives may feel differently.
Mine is Mario Gallegos. For the first time in my life, I'm planning on volunteering for a campaign- whoever runs against him. Anyone else in Houston want to step up to help?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by RHenriksen »

hombre gris wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more. This election I'm not voting for ANY incumbents, just like I did last election.
That would be an overreaction, and a mistake.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
I understand you are upset with the outcome; so am I. But you don't have a clue what you are saying or what else was being attempted. It was not a dead issue when campus-carry was as added to SB5 or SB1581. An attempt was made to make it work, but it failed. This happened to us last session when Tommy Merritt was chairman of the House Public Safety Committee. We had to add things to the DPS sunset bill to get them passed.

Sen. Wentworth has been a strong supporter of gun owners and he's been a champion of campus-carry for two sessions.

Chas.
Charles, I understand that you have to work with these jerks and so you can't say anything bad about them. I can. I'm a citizen of this state, and I deserve fair and open representation. Bills should get fair and open debate on the floor of the chamber, not back room deals and secret meetings and shenanigans with rules that we the citizens are not privy to.

We elected an overwhelming number of Republicans this last election. We SHOULD have gotten our issues passed. We didn't. That says all that I need to know about politics and the legislature. It's a foul, stinking mess of stuff not worthy of a republic and it needs to be overhauled if the people are ever to have their rights restored. The people who serve in the legislature should be embarrassed to show their faces in public after participating in this farce.

I won't be following any more of this. It invokes the gag reflex. How you can stand to be intimately involved in it is beyond me.

megs
Posts in topic: 5

Post by megs »

RHenriksen wrote:
hombre gris wrote:I couldn't agree with you more. This election I'm not voting for ANY incumbents, just like I did last election.
That would be an overreaction, and a mistake.
:iagree:

There are a good five, maybe ten percent who are worth re-electing.

Owens
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Owens »

So who are these 2 turncoat senators? THEY need to be given the opportunity to obtain other employment.

Some things definitely need to be changed. This outcome is totally ridiculous. No reason for it to have happened this way.

I wonder though if we would say the same thing if we used some of the same tactics to stop something we don't like.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Owens wrote:So who are these 2 turncoat senators? THEY need to be given the opportunity to obtain other employment.

Some things definitely need to be changed. This outcome is totally ridiculous. No reason for it to have happened this way.

I wonder though if we would say the same thing if we used some of the same tactics to stop something we don't like.
Senators Lucio and Gallegos. You also have some flaming hypocrites. Senator Zaffirini, who is vehemently opposed to campus carry, along with Lucio and Gallegos, voted for politicians to carry whereever they want. You can't rise to a higher level of hypocrisy than that.

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I understand you are upset with the outcome; so am I. But you don't have a clue what you are saying or what else was being attempted. It was not a dead issue when campus-carry was as added to SB5 or SB1581. An attempt was made to make it work, but it failed. This happened to us last session when Tommy Merritt was chairman of the House Public Safety Committee. We had to add things to the DPS sunset bill to get them passed.

Chas.
Charles,

I notice that your tone has changed regarding Campus Carry. You now say "the outcome," refer to it only in the past tense, and say the attempts to make it work failed. Do you believe Campus Carry is now dead despite a super majority in favor of it in the House and a majority in favor in the Senate?
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”